Should I look to trade my R9 390 for a GTX 970?

charlezprice

Fallout 4 is going to be my most played game for probably the next year or so. That, along with Star Wars Battlefront, and AC Syndicate will also be played some. Is it worth it to look for a trade for a 970? I know for a fact Fallout 4 will run way more smoothly on a GTX 970 RIGHT NOW. But is it worth it to wait to see if AMD drivers help my performance? (The beta driver just released doesn't help much)

Yes take the 390.

I think you misread this.

Keep the 390. The 970 is worse than the 390

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

The 970 is in fact way better at performing high resolution games. But when you get one, I would safe the 390 for another build.

It's up to you OP.

If i were you, and only cared about Fallout 4, then yeah.

The 970 is destroying pretty much every card AMD has under the Fury with the same settings.

But remember OP, mods will be coming.

8GB of VRAM is pretty sweet.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

The 970 is in fact way better at performing high resolution games. But when you get one, I would safe the 390 for another build.

In fact?

Why do you want to downgrade just to play Fallout 4 at a slightly better frame rate for one day when the Crimson drivers are coming out tomorrow?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Overclock your RAM, it's not an issue with the 390 it's the game. I'm at 2200MHz with my ram and I don't have a problem anymore with fps drops past 50.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Ah yes, I did. Keep the 390.

Did I earn your skype now? ;) 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Lol. I have Steam and LTT.

Haha trying to meme that post you made earlier :P jk bruh

In fact?

Why do you want to downgrade just to play Fallout 4 at a slightly better frame rate for one day when the Crimson drivers are coming out tomorrow?

Are they coming out tomorrow? I was not sure how long it was going to take. If it helps my performance then I will definitely have no issues keeping my 390, as I know it performs better than the 970 in almost all respects.

Actually, that's completely backwards. The 390 performs a whole lot better at higher resolutions.

OP

Fallout 4 is going to be my most played game for probably the next year or so. That, along with Star Wars Battlefront, and AC Syndicate will also be played some. Is it worth it to look for a trade for a 970? I know for a fact Fallout 4 will run way more smoothly on a GTX 970 RIGHT NOW. But is it worth it to wait to see if AMD drivers help my performance? (The beta driver just released doesn't help much)

Star Wars Battlefront is dominated by AMD, you'll get at least 10 FPS more with the 390, and a way bigger gap the higher (resolution) you go. AC Syndicate is gonna run horrible on whatever you get (what do you expect from an AC game?) And when drivers come out for it the 390 will be at least tied or beating the 970 in Fallout 4.

I'd stick with the 390. Better DX12 performance (for now,) more VRAM (mods for Fallout 4, anybody?) and just a better GPU on it. You won't regret sticking with the card you have now.

EDITED my messy post

I used to be quite active here.

Are they coming out tomorrow? I was not sure how long it was going to take. If it helps my performance then I will definitely have no issues keeping my 390, as I know it performs better than the 970 in almost all respects.

Yeah, they should be coming out tomorrow if everything is as planned.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's a dumb decison to trade your card for the sake of 1 game... keep the 390.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Did you see my post? I have a 390 and I fixed the problem by overclocking my RAM. In fact not only are my fps up, but the game plays so much smoother I was able to up the DPS on my mouse.

Actually, that's completely backwards. The 390 performs a whole lot better at higher resolutions.

OP

Star Wars Battlefront is dominated by AMD, you'll get at least 10 FPS more with the 390, and a way bigger gap the higher (resolution) you go. AC Syndicate is gonna run horrible on whatever you get (what do you expect from an AC game?) And when drivers come out for it the 390 will be at least tied or beating the 970 in Fallout 4.

I'd stick with the 390. Better DX12 performance (for now,) more VRAM (mods for Fallout 4, anybody?) and just a better GPU on it. You won't regret sticking with the card you have now.

EDITED my messy post

Thank you for a straight answer. And Yes I know AC will run like shit xD but I love the game anyway. I will wait for the new drivers and hopefully I will have my money's worth with my card. I really didn't want to trade it away, I've always been an AMD guy and I just bought the 390! :D

Did you see my post? I have a 390 and I fixed the problem by overclocking my RAM. In fact not only are my fps up, but the game plays so much smoother I was able to up the DPS on my mouse.

Are there any risks of overclocking my RAM? I have never done it, and am worried it might fry my motherboard or something, as it's not the nicest ram. I have 16gb of some 1600MHz Samsung RAM. 

Just keep the 390, its a better card overall 

Once F4 is less buggy and more optimized the differences should diminish 

Thank you for a straight answer. And Yes I know AC will run like shit xD but I love the game anyway. I will wait for the new drivers and hopefully I will have my money's worth with my card. I really didn't want to trade it away, I've always been an AMD guy and I just bought the 390! :D

Good man :) 

Are there any risks of overclocking my RAM? I have never done it, and am worried it might fry my motherboard or something, as it's not the nicest ram. I have 16gb of some 1600MHz Samsung RAM.

If you have a Haswell CPU (4690,4790,4770,4xxx) then 1.65v on the RAM is fine. Then keep increasing the multiplayer on the RAM until it crashes. Step back one multiplayer and test for stability. My 1600MHz Gskill kit went all the way to 2200MHz and is stable there. Took me five minutes to make the change and made a dramatic improvement on Fallout 4.

Yeah, I wish they would optimize AC games better. They're pretty fun.

Also, what that guy on the first page said. They released the 15.11.1 BETA drivers today with optimizations for Fallout 4, Battlefront and AC. Lucky you! I just downloaded them.

Also, I sounded kinda condescending in my first post. Sorry for that! I wish I could have a 390, they're pretty cool.. But I'm also glad that AMD updates the drivers for my 2012 GPU (sorry, Kepler!)

I used to be quite active here.

Yeah, I wish they would optimize AC games better. They're pretty fun.

Also, what that guy on the first page said. They released the 15.11.1 BETA drivers today with optimizations for Fallout 4, Battlefront and AC. Lucky you! I just downloaded them.

Also, I sounded kinda condescending in my first post. Sorry for that! I wish I could have a 390, they're pretty cool.. But I'm also glad that AMD updates the drivers for my 2012 GPU (sorry, Kepler!)

They were released actually a day or two ago, I downloaded them first thing. The performance increase is quite minimal, if any at all. Hopefully the Crimson Drivers will boost more performance, those should be released soon as well. :)

The driver update did little to improve the 390, it did help the Fury though. Crimson looks to be an improvement of the UI, not anything to help game performance.