My CPU is running at 99 degrees celsius

legend8887

My CPU ran cool with my H100i until that died so I took it off and removed the thermal paste with some Thermal Material Remover from Arctic Silver and then applied Arctic Silver 5 with the stock cooler. Than ran at 99 degrees celsius. Then I took off the stock cooler, removed the old paste with Thermal Material Remover from Arctic Silver and applied Cooler Master thermal paste. That is now running at 99 degrees celsius. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: The temperature is at the same at idle and load, both 99 degrees celsius. Also, I'm not getting any error codes via my motherboard. I'm not getting any dropped frames in game either.

You apparently have a 6Ghz overclock on an i7 870

A stock cooler should keep it below 70C at least 

Are you running prime 95 24/7 or something? :P 

And its possible you just have a bad sensor

Is this load or stock at idle?

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Is this load or stock at idle?

Stock at idle. But then it's the same temperature at load so it's weird.

My 4690K was running about that hot under load, and about 65-70 on idle, although this was in the summer. Either way, the stock Intel cooler is terrible, and the AMD stock cooler is also probably terrible.

My Desktop: Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1060, Samsung EVO 840, Vengeance Pro 32GB RAM, Air 240.

"Once you go mechanical, you never go back"

Stock at idle. But then it's the same temperature at load so it's weird.

It sounds to me like the thermometer isn't working, if it's at 99C really, try feeling the heatsink at idle.  If it's coolish then it isn't working, if it's HOT HOT HOT then I have no idea.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

how did you h100i die??

someting may be wrong with your CPU temp sensor if it says 99C all the time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My 4690K was running about that hot under load, and about 65-70 on idle, although this was in the summer. Either way, the stock Intel cooler is terrible, and the AMD stock cooler is also probably terrible.

65-70 is still to high for idle... you were doing something wrong for sure.

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

My CPU ran cool with my H100i until that died so I took it off and removed the thermal paste with some Thermal Material Remover from Arctic Silver and then applied Arctic Silver 5 with the stock cooler. Than ran at 99 degrees celsius. Then I took off the stock cooler, removed the old paste with Thermal Material Remover from Arctic Silver and applied Cooler Master thermal paste. That is now running at 99 degrees celsius. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: The temperature is at the same at idle and load, both 99 degrees celsius. Also, I'm not getting any error codes via my motherboard.

if its the same temperature as the idle and load then there is something wrong with your sensors... O.o

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

It can't be right. Check in the BIOS. If it's 99 degrees there too, you probably have a faulty sensor. If it's not, it's an incompatible software. Try some other monitoring software.

It can't be right. Check in the BIOS. If it's 99 degrees there too, you probably have a faulty sensor. If it's not, it's an incompatible software. Try some other monitoring software.

It says 88 degrees in the BIOS.

if its the same temperature as the idle and load then there is something wrong with your sensors... O.o

Sensors on the motherboard or sensors on the CPU? Sorry for the stupid question.

Sensors on the motherboard or sensors on the CPU? Sorry for the stupid question.

On the CPU.

on the CPU itself

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Do you think I can get a replacement CPU?

Sure if it turns out it's broken and not overclocked. But it really is more likely that you have a bad program or something wrong with drivers or such rather than a bad CPU.

Sure if it turns out it's broken and not overclocked. But it really is more likely that you have a bad program or something wrong with drivers or such rather than a bad CPU.

I don't know what else it could be.

So what was the idle temp in BIOS?

88 degrees Celsius, but what's the likelihood of two tubes of thermal paste and two programs being wrong?

88 degrees Celsius, but what's the likelihood of two tubes of thermal paste and two programs being wrong?

Two tubes? Maybe you have too much of it.

But you're onto something. It's entirely possible for programs to get wrong readings but I haven't ever seen BIOS do the same. Either it really is running super hot or it's busted. I bet you don't have an infrared thermometer that you could use to measure the temps manually? This is starting to sound like you need to take it to the shop. You could borrow a processor from a friend or something. Or see if the problem follows your processor to other computers. 

Two tubes? Maybe you have too much of it.

But you're onto something. It's entirely possible for programs to get wrong readings but I haven't ever seen BIOS do the same. Either it really is running super hot or it's busted. I bet you don't have an infrared thermometer that you could use to measure the temps manually? This is starting to sound like you need to take it to the shop. You could borrow a processor from a friend or something. Or see if the problem follows your processor to other computers.

Not literally rwo tubes but two different brands of paste.

Can you get a thermometer to check the temperature?, sure, you may not get the real temperature but that's to make sure is not really going to melt.

For what I've read your sensor it's faulty.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Can you get a thermometer to check the temperature?, sure, you may not get the real temperature but that's to make sure is not really going to melt.

For what I've read your sensor it's faulty.

There's nothing I can do about a faulty sensor, correct?