My CPU is running at 99 degrees celsius

legend8887

65-70 is still to high for idle... you were doing something wrong for sure.

Exactly, the stock cooler is terrible, but I believe that I placed it on the CPU, then took the cooler off and re-sat it to try to make the cable management better, bare in mind this was my first build, so consequently I didn't have any thermal paste, so yeah. The thermal paste probably played a huge factor in that.

My Desktop: Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1060, Samsung EVO 840, Vengeance Pro 32GB RAM, Air 240.

"Once you go mechanical, you never go back"

You can return the chip, as that is a performance fault

I know Micro Center does not have a two year warranty.

Well the thermal sensor could be malfunctioning but generally when it does it tends to be WAY OFF, so may be these are the real temps or atleast close, you could try to feel the temp right after turning off the pc but if it's not that hot than check whether the heat sink is putting ample pressure on the cpu or not(check the mounting screws) and if everything still seems fine then (I never tried it) you could attach a thermal probe not on the cpu but very close to it under the heat sink and monitor the temps. They wont be very accurate though (that is only if you are not getting any replacement for your cpu).. 

There's nothing I can do about a faulty sensor, correct?

Yeah, you can't do much about it, at most test your CPU in another motherboard but that's about it.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

The BIOS temp reading on Asis boards only goes up to 88 degrees on the boards I used.