Posting a New Topic in Tech News and Reviews Issue

TheBLOODYTOXIC

Hello, guys

Well my issue is since everybody tries to post recents news they rush and just copy the source link and it makes the topic so empty...

Solutions:

There are guys that take the time to put a quote in it, a image or something else and make the post look nicer and i think this must be a requirement to post in this section of the forum.

Example:

Good http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48394-maxwell-arriving-in-q1-2014/

Bad (poorly) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48362-tes-online-requires-15-monthly-fee/

P..s. Since english is not my primary lenguaje i apologize for not beeing so clear in the issue or complain

I see it two ways.

I agree that it should have a bit more than just a link, but if it's simple news like the Elder Scrolls Online being $15 a month, well the title explains itself and doesn't really need a clarification or quote of the source in my opinion, but definitely needs a link to a source.

However, when it comes to something like a GPU launch or reveal, you better post every little detail possible!

I see it two ways.

I agree that it should have a bit more than just a link, but if it's simple news like the Elder Scrolls Online being $15 a month, well the title explains itself and doesn't really need a clarification or quote of the source in my opinion, but definitely needs a link to a source.

However, when it comes to something like a GPU launch or reveal, you better post every little detail possible!

I agreed but take look is this:

Bethesda planning $15 monthly fee for Elder Scrolls Online

I think it looks better

It forces the user to visit the website. Truly giving them the credit. 

Damn right. But you can post it with your own review, and still give the link to the source. I mean just to make you look like giving some effort to the post.

When I post newstopics I put a quote from the source in there. If you are curious, visit the link, they deserve the traffic on their own articles.

If there are important video's or images I'll put them in the ts

Absolutely. I usually rewrite a shorter version of the article when posting and put an adequate picture. It's really annoying to realise then that somebody has managed to post before a person (even if it's not myself) putting  by simply posting a link and perhaps a little quote and because "original" threads are chosen by whichever comes first chronologically, many times some well written/presented posts get blocked or merged into badly presented ones.

If not required, I think at least it would be a good idea if mods choose threads based on which one is presented better and/or allow people who might find a topic interesting enough that they'd like to put some time into the presentation and perhaps discussion to post a better presented version of a news thread even if it's already been covered in the quick, lazy way mentioned above. After which the original (badly presented) thread is blocked or merged into the new one (not the other way round) if there is already an interesting discussion going on.

Also, most importantly (since I notice the good example you mention makes this mistake) make sure NOT to copy massive bodies of text or even whole articles and use the quote feature to show which parts are quoted and not yours. Linus has already stated this before it definitely doesn't put LinusTechTips forum in good light if we just rip off articles and take away potential traffic from the source website.

I don't say much or don't quote/put a small quote in there so then people will actually click the link and read the actual article from the author himself.

There's a method behind my madness.

COMIC SANS

I agreed but take look is this:

Bethesda planning $15 monthly fee for Elder Scrolls Online

I think it looks better

I'm not trying to bag on the guy who made this thread, but why quote a whole paragraph on something when I simply summarized it in a few words in the title.

The title draws people into the thread. People then read the source I linked. Then they discuss the topic at hand in the comments. I find this to be a better system, which is why I use it.

COMIC SANS

normally its rule of thumb to NOT post all the info

its should be 1 paragraph long with a pic

because no one will end up going to the source article for more info  which isnt fair

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well the tech news section moves so quickly that if you do a nice write-up someone will already have posted the news item.
So what I personally do is I do a quick quote & post the news item & then spend a few more minutes afterwards editing it to bring it to a more professional level.

Any thread that doesn't have at least 100 words that are written by the OP should be locked and is just spam imo.

I also know how to go on reddit and other news sites and re-post news articles all day. A rat race to "get in first" is ridiculous. If you have something interesting to say take your time. Threads can be merged, if this is how things worked people would probably actually take their time and read what is said.

Does it really matter that much to you that you are the thread creator?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Any thread that doesn't have at least 100 words that are written by the OP should be locked and is just spam imo.

I also know how to go on reddit and other news sites and re-post news articles all day. A rat race to "get in first" is ridiculous. If you have something interesting to say take your time. Threads can be merged, if this is how things worked people would probably actually take their time and read what is said.

I don't think it's spam, it just isn't well-written. Keep in mind that a lot of us don't look at the news and rely on the forum for it.

Oh my god yes. I agree completely and utterly. Too much spam

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I don't think it's spam, it just isn't well-written. Keep in mind that a lot of us don't look at the news and rely on the forum for it.

Its just post count farming. Which is spam. Do you really want me to sit in r/technology/new and link to articles all day because I can.

I think this is the reason why people don't rely on the news section. People should post pieces of news that interest them. Not things they see and think "oh lets make a thread".

I think a "news reporter" is someone who sits down, does some background research and makes an "article". I wouldn't even mind a small article. Like I said 100 words of informed opinion is fine.

The first come first served system is the reason why this is a terrible news source.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Also, I would just like to point out that this is the news forum of LTT. People here report the news in whatever way THEY feel comfortable, not YOUR way.

If you want something done your way, then be first to post a news article and do it your own way. Everybody has their own ways of doing something. So do it yourself or deal with it.

COMIC SANS

If you want something done your way, then be first to post a news article and do it your own way.

Yes, this is where the flaw in this system is. First come first serve results in threads like this. Honestly that is the first thread I clicked. Consists of 3 words and a link.

How can you call that an article? :(

Its just post count farming. Which is spam. Do you really want me to sit in r/technology/new and link to articles all day because I can.

I think this is the reason why people don't rely on the news section. People should post pieces of news that interest them. Not things they see and think "oh lets make a thread".

I think a "news reporter" is someone who sits down, does some background research and makes an "article". I wouldn't even mind a small article. Like I said 100 words of informed opinion is fine.

The first come first served system is the reason why this is a terrible news source.

Personally I rely on the forum for tech news, so it isn't spam to me.

Also, I would just like to point out that this is the news forum of LTT. People here report the news in whatever way THEY feel comfortable, not YOUR way.

If you want something done your way, then be first to post a news article and do it your own way. Everybody has their own ways of doing something. So do it yourself or deal with it.

No. "his" way is how it should be. The problem becomes as such,

if i find a great article i create a thread, say "look" then post a URL. 

then lets say Ghost comes along and types a long elaborate excellent SELF WRITTEN news piece over the SAME information. 

due to forum policy, the first thread prevents any other posts over the same topic. 

by forcing an ACTUAL news article to be typed up also prevents thousands of reposts from all those 13 year olds who just do the whole " Look at this http//:Randomnonsense.noonecares.com"

an actual reporter never gets the chance to post it HIS way because some kid posted the URL therefor the reporters article would be a repost and deleted.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Personally I rely on the forum for tech news, so it isn't spam to me.

Do you rely on the forum for tech news or do you rely on the forum for links to articles about tech news. There is a significant difference.

Let me ask it this way. Would you prefer getting news from a thread with actual opinions and a blurb in it and a link to a couple of sources? I know I would.

Would you read a newspaper with referrals to other newspapers in it, that just gives the headline.

Do you rely on the forum for tech news or do you rely on the forum for links to articles about tech news. There is a significant difference.

I completely rely on the forum for all tech news, whether it's just a link or a written article here on the forum.

Let me ask it this way. Would you prefer getting news from a thread with actual opinions and a blurb in it and a link to a couple of sources? I know I would.

Obviously I'd prefer a thread with opinions, etc. which even these "spammy" threads contain, but that doesn't make it spam. The link the OP provided to a poor article even contains opinions, are there even any poorly written threads that don't? (that thread is 8 pages long, full of opinions and discussion by the way)