Posting a New Topic in Tech News and Reviews Issue

TheBLOODYTOXIC

if i find a great article i create a thread, say "look" then post a URL. 

then lets say Ghost comes along and types a long elaborate excellent SELF WRITTEN news piece over the SAME information. 

due to forum policy, the first thread prevents any other posts over the same topic. 

What's the point in writing a new article that conveys the same information? Why not quote the original article and give your opinion and/or add information?

Yes, this is where the flaw in this system is. First come first serve results in threads like this. Honestly that is the first thread I clicked. Consists of 3 words and a link.

How can you call that an article? :(

I wouldn't even have put that in the news forum. That thread seems more suitable in General Discussion. 

COMIC SANS

Obviously I'd prefer a thread with opinions, etc. which even these "spammy" threads contain, but that doesn't make it spam. The link the OP provided to a poor article even contains opinions, are there even any poorly written threads that don't?

No, you misunderstand. I am not saying linking to articles is wrong, I find it frustrating because it gets in the way of legitimate threads by the members of the forum. The opening post is what can draw people in and drive discussion.

The problem is most articles linked are long and most people don't even bother reading them before making a response. By creating a shortened down article you can drive discussion. A perfect example is this thread. The OP posted his opinion. The fact it is controversial means that this topic has reached 27 replies now.

This is what the news section should be about in my eyes. Not people effectively saying "cool" in the replies but people openly discussing it, drawing more people in.

You asked what this forum can offer over a news site in a post above this. It can stimulate interesting conversation. Right now it doesn't and this is why I view it as broken.

I would go as far as to say "quality over quantity".

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

What's the point in writing a new article that conveys the same information? Why not quote the original article and give your opinion and/or add information?

because thats what reporting is? 

im not saying we need essays but atleast be original and not just blurb whatever anandtech says. 

an opinion isnt just a 1 line expression saying "i like this article. it is good"

actually put something towards the article you link

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

because thats what reporting is? 

im not saying we need essays but atleast be original and not just blurb whatever anandtech says. 

an opinion isnt just a 1 line expression saying "i like this article. it is good"

actually put something towards the article you link

Not necessarily. That still isn't a good reason to not just quote the original article and add whatever you want to it. Rewording what they said is a waste of time if it is just going to contain the same information.

No, you misunderstand. I am not saying linking to articles is wrong, I find it frustrating because it gets in the way of legitimate threads by the members of the forum. The opening post is what can draw people in and drive discussion.

Sure, I'm not disagreeing that the posters of these reworded articles are put at a disadvantage, I'm simply saying that it isn't spam. They're letting us know about the news (with less sensationalist headlines than a lot of the major news sites), which is helpful to me (especially since I wouldn't have seen it otherwise), so how does it meet the definition of being spam?

Sure, I'm not disagreeing that the posters of these reworded articles are put at a disadvantage, I'm simply saying that it isn't spam. They're letting us know about the news (with less sensationalist headlines than a lot of the major news sites), which is helpful to me (especially since I wouldn't have seen it otherwise), so how does it meet the definition of being spam?

Its in the way of legitimate articles submitted by users. I would go as far as to compare it to a DDoS attack. Multiple rushed articles getting in the way of legitimate ones.

I don't think the threads are flawed. I think the system is flawed. If you could get a thread locked by writing a legitimate article that would then override that single link with a lined summary, it would allow people who want to type out articles to do that. I also think there should be three tags in this forum section. "Review", "Link" and "Article". You would then be able to filter through the threads (or not) and both sides would be happy.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Its in the way of legitimate articles submitted by users. I would go as far as to compare it to a DDoS attack. Multiple rushed articles getting in the way of legitimate ones.

I don't think the threads are flawed. I think the system is flawed. If you could get a thread locked by writing a legitimate article that would then override that single link with a lined summary, it would allow people who want to type out articles to do that. I also think there should be three tags in this forum section. "Review", "Link" and "Article". You would then be able to filter through the threads (or not) and both sides would be happy.

Just because it's "getting in the way" for some people still doesn't make it spam. Like I said earlier, it has been helping me find the most interesting articles, and personally I won't see any benefit from having the article rewritten or having the OP's opinion or question in the post.

Well, I don't think there's any way to change your mind. All, I can say is there are much better alternatives to what you are looking for if you want links to the latest articles in the tech world. There are hive minds out there who even sort out the re-posts and interesting articles for you giving you only interesting things.

In my eyes this forum section should be a place to hold "discussions" about interesting tech news. Our opinions obviously differ.

Well, I don't think there's any way to change your mind. All, I can say is there are much better alternatives to what you are looking for if you want links to the latest articles in the tech world. There are hive minds out there who even sort out the re-posts and interesting articles for you giving you only interesting things.

In my eyes this forum section should be a place to hold "discussions" about interesting tech news. Our opinions obviously differ.

I don't want links necessarily to the latest articles, just the most interesting ones which the forum has been doing a good job of doing. It's not that I don't care about the discussion either, there's plenty of it in those short articles, the OP's opinion/question isn't required.