Malvertising Has Now Spread to Video Ads

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/malvertising-has-now-spread-to-video-ads-496161.shtml

According to The Trust Media team, a malicious SWF file was downloaded on the victim's computers when accessing a video page. The malicious file was hosted on the brtmedia.net domain and was imitating a video player.

This SWF file executes its malicious load only on lesser known sites, avoiding large video platforms, where security teams continually search their sites looking for problematic ads.

The actual attack happens when the SWF file injects JavaScript code in the page where the video ad is supposed to display, simulating a winning ad bid, but actually loading a 1px by 1px hidden iframe.

This iframe loads a popup windows that scans the user's computer settings and prompts him with a message to update some of his local software.

If the user is careless to click on the popup, he will download malicious software packed with PUPs(Potentially Unwanted Programs) and other malware.

malvertising-has-now-spread-to-video-ads

So much for "common sense" huh?

You still have to click the popup to get a virus, and it says they avoid large sites because of malware protection.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

So much for "common sense" huh?

Thomas Paine still brought up many relevant points-

Oh I see what you mean.

#freemalwarebytesmasterrace

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

You still have to click the popup to get a virus, and it says they avoid large sites because of malware protection.

I think that was kinda the point of Godly's post.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think that people just need to grow a pair.It's just like riding a bike or driving a car, you have to accept the risks that come with it the same applies to browsing the Internet.

Oh, of course, it's a .swf......

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/malvertising-has-now-spread-to-video-ads-496161.shtml

According to The Trust Media team, a malicious SWF file was downloaded on the victim's computers when accessing a video page. The malicious file was hosted on the brtmedia.net domain and was imitating a video player.

Then just take control of whatever is trying to load.

For example with uMatrix. :)

nmBBDKR.jpg

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Alright, before I was letting the flash plugin "Always Activate", now I'm gonna make it "Ask to Activate". If I get too annoyed with it, it's going in the garbage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

And this is how to justify ad-block

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Then just take control of whatever is trying to load.

For example with uMatrix. :)

nmBBDKR.jpg

Nice security setup, ESET Smart Security 8 + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit + Malwarebytes Anti Malware. 

But downloading said virus still requires you to actually run it for it to be harmful, does it not?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

well time for adblock

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Nice security setup, ESET Smart Security 8 + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit + Malwarebytes Anti Malware. 

Actually is ESET Antivirus 9  + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit + Malwarebytes Anti Malware + Outpost Firewall Pro. (eset firewall is too plain for my taste)

Everything set to extreme killing ofc. :)

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

But downloading said virus still requires you to actually run it for it to be harmful, does it not?

That's malware. Just think computer virus as a human virus, once they get in contact with you, you already infected. Unlike malware, they can sit on your computer all day without doing anything. Until you execute the program that's were bad boys begin its nasty business.