R.I.P Zune 2007-2015

GoodBytes

In 2007 Microsoft, in the United States only (later in Canada), introduced its first MP3 music player and the first of its kind: subscription music service. Yes, Microsoft was the first. The subscription service was competitively priced the moment it was released, with a model of 15$ per month, unlimited streaming and download, and at the end of the month you get credit of 10 songs of your choice to own forever in high quality (DRM free).

zune2.png

Sadly, people didn't see the value and/or didn't understand the point of subscription music and it didn't take off. Spotify later appeared with a similar model (10$ per month no free song credit) in select countries in Europe, and over there people understood it, and it started to take off. Only recently, U.S and Canadian consumers are starting to understand the benefits and value of subscription based music.

The Zune MP3 player was a surprisingly good music player, while the first iteration was a re branded Toshiba MP3 device with a skin on its OS, and available in its wonderful suit-case color (brown - What were they thinking... this sounds like an upper management decision), it scared the device for life, turning into a joke, even though the company was fairly quickly to rectify the problem with a black model, and better colors, and at the second iteration, making its own device.

1433222612531886226.jpg

Zune HD - was also available in black

The device was made with printed circuit board from A to Z, and not flexible plastic sheet at some location like the iPod, its competitor device, and features large scratch resistant Gorilla screen, and shock resistant HDD protection (for the early models, the Zune Mini and later Zune HD, uses flash storage), making it a very durable device. Heck mine still works to this day, despite countless drops. And the screen is not broken either. The only issue I faced with my Zune 120 is the screws of the HDD where completely loose, probably due to the countless metal expansions and decompression from the in's and out's from a warm place to our harsh Canadian winters over the many years. Nothing a screw driver could not fix.

microsoft-zune-120gb_g4.jpg

Older brother: Zune 120 (120GB)

The battery life of the device was insanely long. We are talking about a month between charges. Heck, my device still has a 1 week of usage  with the original battery. The device also supported sending music from 1 device to another without the need of any computer, just wireless connection. Included impressively good earphones for included earphones, and had a a really good sound chip which made the device competitive for a great number of years. It also included a digital FM radio tuner.

The service had a social networking service included, where you could get what other people listened to and liked, as a way to discover new music, that is aside from Radio feature. The Radio featured worked by you picking a music you like, and hitting the Radio button. When you do, it generates a list of music based on the similar style, influenced artists and the artists that was influenced by, to make this large music playlist, which you could sync it to your Zune, or listen in your system. This feature is still alive in the now: Grove Music app.

zune.png

Sadly, the device never picked up. And it didn't help, that, by that time people where switching to smart phones, which killed the MP3 players.

It didn't help that Microsoft was not really in the consumer smart phone business at the time, so saw no value in making its subscription service available on Android, iOS, BlackBerry devices, let alone Windows Mobile 6, at the time. This is how Spotify took the spot.

Seeing the value of the ever so growing subscription music, today, many companies are trying to penetrate. We have Google music service, YouTube Music service, Rdio, Apple, heck, even Sony Music devision tries. Today, Microsoft is giving another, more serious, spin, with the introduction of Grove Music under Windows 10, and Windows 10 Mobile device. Android and iOS users currently still drive the old crappy XBox Music app just renamed to Grove Music, but it is a question of time before Microsoft release an updated version of the app.

It has been years since Microsoft killed off its MP3 player, by stopping the production of the Nvidia Tegra chip powered Zune HD device, but the music subscription, Zune Music Pass, continued to lived on, with a matching 9.99$ per month model (no free music credit like before), killed off the social aspect which didn't pick up, and offered a yearly discount of 99$/year (so, 2 month's free). The service was forked as XBox Music Pass later where you could use the XBox 360, or XBox Music app under Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8  / Android / iOS /  Web, and later changed to Grove Music with Windows 10, with the introduction of a far better web interface (HTML5), and Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile app (as mentioned Android and iOS should get their app updated soon)

Today, Microsoft kills off Zune subscription music. Keep in mind that Grove Music subscription is live and well. As mentioned, XBox Music/Grove Music is a fork of the Zune subscription service. They both shared the same music library, cost the same, worked the same way. It was a duplicated service, but the DRM systems is different (improved in XBox Music/Grove Music). If you have either subscription service, you had access to both.

So what does it mean?

If you have your old Zune kick-in in, or Windows Phone 7, you can no longer download music for free (part of your subscription) and have it sync to the device. The Zune desktop player is still alive, you can still buy music, you can still upload your own music to your device, but the Zune Music Pass is dead.

As the point of the Zune music player was the subscription service, it essentially kills off the Zune. It is only a question of time before the last element really kills if off, and that the Zune desktop app.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3096659

Source 2: http://gizmodo.com/zune-will-go-dark-on-november-15th-wait-zune-still-ex-1731035604

Today, a new Zune (still on box) on eBay are going for around 500$ U.S

Due to the limited market availability of the device, few has one. Not to mention Microsoft continuous problem in advertising didn't help. Did you have a Zune? DO you know someone who had one?

Zune legacy still lives on under Grove Music, and as for its unique GUI design, it defined the look and feel for Windows Phone 7, Windows 8/Phone 8, and its evolution continues with Windows 10. It brought the flat design, which one can argue influenced Android Material design and parts of the iOS latest look.

Well it eventually turned into Windows Phone and Xbox Music all the way to groove music

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I've never heard of Zune until now 0.o

awh damn, I would have actually used it, tbh it looks a million times better then Spotify 

It was SO GOOD. Until they killed it with that XBOX music garbage, 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It really was superior to anything on the market until they released the Xbox Music app. I've been subscribed since they first released the subscription and will continue to do so. The Groove app is finally bringing back a lot of the functionality that was lost.

The Zune HD is still far superior to anything (including phones) as a portable media player. It is solid as a rock, being made primarily of metal, got weeks of battery life, and weighed half as much as most of the phones these days.

Zune HD, if it had lots of apps like the Ipod touch and better marketing, probably would have been a huge success.

I've never heard of Zune until now 0.o

That's exactly the problem. It was a superior mp3 player to the ipod touch of that time and the software was also superior. It was the foundation for Windows Phone OS. If only MS put half the effort they put into xbox into the Zune platform, it would have been really successful. I still have my Zune HD and still use it to this day.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Microsoft should put out a WP10 branded as a zune. The Zune HD was really a gorgeous piece of hardware, and building something in the same industrial design philosophy, but as a phone, would be huge.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Friend had a Zune back in like 2009. I applauded metro UI (or was it called something else? they changed the name a million times) and I'm pretty sure my friend's Zune had an OLED screen (which at the time was rare) and it just amplified the elegance of the white text on black.

Zune was master race. I took that subscription service the moment I saw it.

I think people didn't understand the music service for a few reasons. One being that I didn't personally even find out about it until I actually bought one of the Zunes and downloaded the Zune software. Two, Microsoft sucks at marketing. Three, it didn't come from Apple or a different big hipster name so it didn't take off.

Friend had a Zune back in like 2009. I applauded metro UI (or was it called something else? they changed the name a million times) and I'm pretty sure my friend's Zune had an OLED screen (which at the time was rare) and it just amplified the elegance of the white text on black.

Yea all zune hd had oled screen.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I used to have the 120gb red version, complete with personalised laser engraving (it was an option when you order one) on the back and Incipio leather case. Man that cost me a lot to import one from US to Malaysia back in 2007/2008 i think. I swear I was like the only person in Malaysia who knew about it and possibly the coolest person in college to have had an awesome mp3/video player back then when everyone was still using flip/basic phone and 3gp was still a thing LOL. I kinda regretted selling it but I had too because I needed the money. So sad it never actually took off outside US. Zune HD was an absolute beast of an mp3 player during its time. Going to miss it.

Now I'm using a L620 for my dedicated music player but still wont be as awesome as Zune player was.

i always wanted a zune since day one but at the time i never had the money to afford the steep price tag.. but now i do and since zune is dead i bought a fiio x5 instead... still wish i had a zune.. maybe ill buy an off hand one just to have.

this is sad news indeed... also wish that 10 free song deal still was going on too but i never noticed it when i had groove music :/  

there is just no good way to get quality music with money these days for mp3 players...

My zune is still sitting on my desk in near perfect condition. I love their earbuds, but the right ear bud keeps going bad on them. Bought a 10 pack off amazon for $20 though, so i am good for another year when it comes to buds, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I used to love my zune. I had the original 30GB one until I fried the battery and I also had the Zune HD. they had great music quality, really good battery life and a nice user interface. I wish they caught on more. I sold my zune HD 5 or 6 years ago when i started using my phone as my main music player. 

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

That thing was still around? I always had the "zune desktop theme" for XP :D

OMG YES ME TOO!!! Oh the memories :(

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)