LTT Forums prep for Secret Santa event - Hosted by Ridska ( for now )

Ridska

I'm down for being part of this

But probably wouldn't be allowed as my post count is quite low even though i've been here for more than a year i'm more of a lurker and prefer not to post much

Might send some old sticks of ram or 128gb usb and some British sweets. You americans heard of terry's chocolate oranges?

I'm down for being part of this

But probably wouldn't be allowed as my post count is quite low even though i've been here for more than a year i'm more of a lurker and prefer not to post much

Might send some old sticks of ram or 128gb usb and some British sweets. You americans heard of terry's chocolate oranges?

Post count does not really matter but , i take it that sense you are taking part of this event in the thread , you trust that your secret Santa will send a gift and you will also too...?

Remember what i said in 2 and 3 in the original post . People are too concentrated on getting the gift and sending it but they are forgetting that 3 is still and issue.

(⌐■_■) 

Post count does not really matter but , i take it that sense you are taking part of this event in the thread , you trust that your secret Santa will send a gift and you will also too...?

Remember what i said in 2 and 3 in the original post . People are too concentrated on getting the gift and sending it but they are forgetting that 3 is still and issue.

I think there are some secret santa websites that sort out who gives who. Maybe a thing to look into?

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

interesting suggestion. Limiting the price can be a bit tricky. and when you said ''  I can buy something in the US and have it posted to a US resident for the same/ similar price someone '' 

Did you mean that you would get that secret Santas address over the US and send the gift over there. If so, That would defeat the purpose of '' Secret santa '' becasue the '' Santa '' has to be a secret person that you know nothing about.

How am I going to know where to send it if I don't know the persons address? haha

I assume that all details are going to be sent to a central person/ group of people so that when someone is picked the details can be supplied?

What I meant by that line was (and going by my knowledge of Secret Santa that you get 'assigned' a random person that you have to buy for), everyone's names goes into a hat, one gets drawn at random and assigned to someone else. If I get 'assigned' someone in the US, I can then choose a US retailer and pay in USD and post it to them instead of me buying something in the UK and trying to export it to the US (which will not only cost a lot in shipping, but TAXes will rip me a new one too).

"If it doesn't move, you didn't hit it hard enough with a hammer"

How am I going to know where to send it if I don't know the persons address? haha

I assume that all details are going to be sent to a central person/ group of people so that when someone is picked the details can be supplied?

What I meant by that line was (and going by my knowledge of Secret Santa that you get 'assigned' a random person that you have to buy for), everyone's names goes into a hat, one gets drawn at random and assigned to someone else. If I get 'assigned' someone in the US, I can then choose a US retailer and pay in USD and post it to them instead of me buying something in the UK and trying to export it to the US (which will not only cost a lot in shipping, but TAXes will rip me a new one too).

Now I like what you're thinking. But when you said : "everyone's names goes into a hat, one gets drawn at random and assigned to someone else. " I do not know how to randomly draw a persons name . should we incorporate a website for the randomisation ?

(⌐■_■) 

(⌐■_■) 

Ill buy a stuffed white elephant and send it in or just draw one....  :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Amazon allows for gift purchasing by the way.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Amazon allows for gift purchasing by the way.

I know that.

(⌐■_■) 

Ok so , let me do a quick run down on what we have desided on the prep for the Seecret Santa event:

Nore : these are feesable to change.

'' 2.how will the delivery will be handled of the secret presents : I think this is important , How can i ( or we ) know  that you are actually sending a present Vs not sending one because hehe lelele i troll take gift and f you. ''

Answer : We or the person , Buys the gift acording to the region of his or hers area. That being said , You can buy the gift by lerning the address of the recipiant , And buying the gift online via a retailer that is close to the recipiants address. This idea is made by the combo of @Nup and @rik123

This list will coninue when i later edit this....

(⌐■_■) 

I like the region locked thing, will be easier to coordinate.

Can I make a suggestion on the banned items though? I know most of us are pretty decent, but there will likely be one funny person who will send something like "poop in a box" or similar, can we just not :P

I take Lucky Charms, Oreos and Twinkies if an American gets me haha!

I like the region locked thing, will be easier to coordinate.

Can I make a suggestion on the banned items though? I know most of us are pretty decent, but there will likely be one funny person who will send something like "poop in a box" or similar, can we just not [emoji14]

I take Lucky Charms, Oreos and Twinkies if an American gets me haha!

Bring a list of things that are not suited for this event , and I or we will look into it. And if you mean by " banning items " , do you mean by sex toy's or other illegal items ? Cause I will definitely ban those without a second thought.

(⌐■_■) 

Bring a list of things that are not suited for this event , and I or we will look into it. And if you mean by " banning items " , do you mean by sex toy's or other illegal items ? Cause I will definitely ban those without a second thought.

Yup all items that can be classed as offensive should be banned IMHO and obviously dangerous items such as knives/ guns/ etc....(unless you live in a country that allows you to post that sort of stuff).

Yup all items that can be classed as offensive should be banned IMHO and obviously dangerous items such as knives/ guns/ etc....(unless you live in a country that allows you to post that sort of stuff).

Cool stuff guys, yep I agree with the no stuff thats offensive/messed up. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I know that.

Just throwing that out there for those worried about regional shipping. 

Just gift purchase in their region... ;)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Alright , So i have taken screen shots of this post and i have decided that we shall use a Secret Santa generator .
The site asks for Names and Email addresses and how many participants there will be !

Here is a rundown where i left off :

Ok so , let me do a quick run down on what we have decided on the prep for the Secret Santa event:
Nor : these are freezable to change.
'' 2.how will the delivery will be handled of the secret presents : I think this is important , How can i ( or we ) know that you are actually sending a present Vs not sending one because hehe lelele i troll take gift and f you. ''

Answer : We or the person , Buys the gift according to the region of his or hers area. That being said , You can buy the gift by learning the address of the recipient , And buying the gift online via a retailer that is close to the recipients address. This idea is made by the combo of @Nup and @rik1254
3.Picking the secret Santa : This is BY far , The most important issue i can think of , For starters , how are we going to determine a secret Santa ? straw poll or counting ?! Heck if i know , This is why i need the LTT forums's help on this.

Answer : I or we will use a website that will help us pick the Secret Santa for the people who are going to participate. However , This should be noted : People who are taking part of this have a freezable option to write there address down publicly , This is an option , and the reason i ma writing this is because : it would not be a Secret Santa event if you already know your Santa , By asking His or hers address , you would be exposing that you are the Santa.
This is a added rule to the event : No explicit or illegal items be shipped to your receiver. If you do ship an item that is illegal by his or her's country's laws , we and this forum , is nor are responsible for your actions. you will be banned in the future LTT secret Santa event permanently. This idea is a combo of @rik1254 and myself.
IF there are any objections to these rules , please PM me.
Edit : New ruel .
The question :4. Who will have the jolly old spirit ? : Im saying this because i don't want this scenario to happen : I send a HyperX key chain , i get a Titan X GPU.
To put this in a nutshell : I think people should not buy very expensive things. Its the thought that counts of the present , not the price, Hell even a small gift would do just fine. And if you do insist on sending a 1500W PSU with Titanium efficiency that costs like hell and get a measly a chocolate bar from the dollar store in return , DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible nor the people who are involved.
Answer : The Max buying power of the Santa's must be below 20 Euros or bucks or what ever your country's currency is and the minimum currency that you can spend is 10 of your country's currency , Don't be a cheap skate nor a over spending overlord. Any higher than that might cause issues and unbalanced gift value trade offis and also , The 20 currency limit includes shipping as well , go to your local post office and check your shipping rate prices.

Edited in 16.11.2015 : new rules added concerning the money spending.

Edited by Ridska

(⌐■_■) 

I like :)

I just had a look on that website, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put addresses......does this mean e-gifts such as Steam codes?

I like :)

I just had a look on that website, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put addresses......does this mean e-gifts such as Steam codes?

Digital gifts are permitted. The address topic is of the recipient choosingly or willingly put his or hers address publicly or making a covert Santa mask , the method works like this :

Subject 1 receives a note that he or she is a secret Santa , and the recipient is subject 2 , subject 1 goes and asks a friend of his or hers in LTTF ( aka subject 3 ) to ask subject 2 of his or her real life address . In doing so , subject 2 will be tricked of thinking that his or hers secret Santa is subject 3 but Infact , its subject 1 .

Also you can make a fake temp email address to not use your real one if , You don't want to go with the covert mask plan.

I hope you understood.

(⌐■_■) 

This sounds cool. I do think there should be a minimum 'value'so to speak. No pack of swsets.

This sounds cool. I do think there should be a minimum 'value'so to speak. No pack of swsets.

I'll see about that in the morning.

(⌐■_■) 

I have decided on the launch day of the secret Santa event , it will start in the end of this November , Finnish PST time.

Also , I have been thinking of changing the website. Its ether :

Website 1

OR

Website 2

Pick , then we decide.  

(⌐■_■) 

Number 1 IMo.

It's settled then .

Thank you everybody and I'll see you in the end of November .

(⌐■_■) 

I'd love to be a part of this but shipping for me would be hard and expensive for me as im in Nairobi kenya but i can send something through amazon maybe

I'd love to be a part of this but shipping for me would be hard and expensive for me as im in Nairobi kenya but i can send something through amazon maybe

You can be , Digital gifts are accepted too. It's the santas decision weather to give a digital gift or a normal gift.

(⌐■_■)