LTT Forums prep for Secret Santa event - Hosted by Ridska ( for now )

Ridska

Ridska here ,

Christmas is coming and its in right around the corner. and i thought it would be fun to hold a Secret Santa event for Linus Tech tips Forums just like Reddit did all those years ago ( Remember when Bill Gate's was a secret Santa :D ? ) .

The idea of this thread/post is to talk and discuss with people about this event/idea and and how its going to be made,shaped and how its going to be organized and when should be the gifts be on its way , And i ask ALL members of LTT to participate in this event ( if possible ) but saying so , this is a voluntary thing , And it includes Linus himself and members and staff alike. After this thread goes down and the dust settles/ The thread goes down , we ( or maybe i or some one else ) will host THE REAL LTT forums Secret Santa Event.

I think the topics/issues we should talk about :

1.Who will properly host this event ? : Sure i can host it BUT , i think that a proper host can do a better job.

2.how will the delivery will be handled of the secret presents : I think this is important , How can i ( or we ) know  that you are actually sending a present Vs not sending one because hehe lelele i troll take gift and f you.

3.Picking the secret Santa : This is BY far , The most important issue i can think of ,  For starters , how are we going to determine a secret Santa ? straw poll or counting ?! Heck if i know , This is why i need the LTT forums's help on this.

4. Who will have the jolly old spirit ? : Im saying this because i don't want this scenario to happen :  I send a HyperX key chain , i get a Titan X GPU. 

To put this in a nutshell : I think people should not buy very expensive things. Its the thought that counts of the present , not the price, Hell even a small gift would do just fine. And if you do insist on sending a 1500W PSU with Titanium efficiency that costs like hell and get a measly a chocolate bar from the dollar store in return , DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible nor the people who are involved.

If there is more to add to the list , please let me know.

Edit p.s Who ever gets an idea that everyone likes , i will give a OnePlus X Invite as a gift.

Thanks and stay groovie :D .

(⌐■_■) 

I might send something. Would it be to mean to send my Pentium 3 to someone lol? Nah Wouldn't do that hehe

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I might send something. Would it be to mean to send my Pentium 3 to someone lol? Nah Wouldn't do that hehe

That would depend on if they had a mobo for it. If they did then yeah good idea lol

I would want to enter, I can send some cool stuff like nice Pokemon cards, maybe a PS2 game or something and some other cheap stuff for me.

The only thing I think about however is the shipping.. I think shipping to US (for me) would get real expensive..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'd be happy to take part and send like a steam game or something as shipping to wherever the person lives could be pricey.

Written on my Lenovo Z500 T - I5-3230M   Or

My pc :)

I would want to enter, I can send some cool stuff like nice Pokemon cards, maybe a PS2 game or something and some other cheap stuff for me.

The only thing I think about however is the shipping.. I think shipping to US (for me) would get real expensive..

Thats why we are here to discuss , should we make it a region only thing or should we do something about shipping ? 

The more we discuss the more we get a better idea.

(⌐■_■) 

you're all getting bad rats

plz dont ( jk , sent what ever you want. ) 

(⌐■_■) 

I would love to be a part of this, sounds awesome. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

plz dont ( jk , sent what ever you want. ) 

If I contribute (probably will) it'll probably just be a steam gift because shipping's pricey

I wish i could take part but me have no extra money :(

Just send a lolipop or something, or a piece of bricked hardware you have as a coaster. 

Thats why we are here to discuss , should we make it a region only thing or should we do something about shipping ? 

The more we discuss the more we get a better idea.

Well sending a Steam game of course would be easy.

otherwise groups can be made based on region, so physical gifts can still be given

The jokes are on you, already got the game gifted once ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just send a lolipop or something, or a piece of bricked hardware you have as a coaster. 

I guess so. I have a few things that i could give like a gpu or two. Oh my gt 8800 is perfect

otherwise groups can be made based on region, so physical gifts can still be given

This on the physical gifts per region cause shipping is horrible.

@Ridska make sure to set a minimum post like 300 or something respctable. 

Thats a good idea , Gifts from steam . But i think we should look for more options . 

(⌐■_■) 

Probably a north american, EU, and international group

BTW I want to send everyone bob ross decals. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Thats a good idea , Gifts from steam . But i think we should look for more options . 

I like the idea of a physical gift. 

I like the idea of a physical gift. 

I think so too but its kind of hard to handle such a task like that. 

Like @Minibios said , The shipping is a bit of a problem.

Edit : But never the less , it isnt impossible , I can send gifts around Europe and i would be cool with that.

(⌐■_■) 

I think so too but its kind of hard to handle such a task like that. 

Like @Minibios said , The shipping is a bit of a problem.

To make it more reasonable, we could have an opt in for a regional one, so Americans stick to Americans and same goes for European and all the rest, unless the person opts into agreeing to paying more for shipping? 

To make it more reasonable, we could have an opt in for a regional one, so Americans stick to Americans and same goes for European and all the rest, unless the person opts into agreeing to paying more for shipping? 

I agree so too , it will keep the price low as possible and there will be less mishaps .

If every one agrees , like this comment or just quote me . Remember , This has to be a collective agreement. 

(⌐■_■) 

I'm game.

Why not set a limit of say £10/ €14/ $15 (rough estimates). It's not too much, but not too little (if you want to send more, send more). This way, I can buy something in the US and have it posted to a US resident for the same/ similar price someone could buy something for me.

"If it doesn't move, you didn't hit it hard enough with a hammer"

I'm game.

Why not set a limit of say £10/ €14/ $15 (rough estimates). It's not too much, but not too little (if you want to send more, send more). This way, I can buy something in the US and have it posted to a US resident for the same/ similar price someone could buy something for me.

interesting suggestion. Limiting the price can be a bit tricky. and when you said ''  I can buy something in the US and have it posted to a US resident for the same/ similar price someone '' 

Did you mean that you would get that secret Santas address over the US and send the gift over there. If so, That would defeat the purpose of '' Secret santa '' becasue the '' Santa '' has to be a secret person that you know nothing about.

(⌐■_■)