Less than 2500AUD Mid-High level PC Build

I know what I am talking about and I have a great build to back it up

Just... don't

wtf you upgraded the CPU (Which is completely un-necessary) then went from the 980Ti to a 970 and to top it off an RM (Non 'i') series PSU lmao......

OP dont listen to this guy.

... i thought i clicked a 980ti. My bad. I was wondering why it was weird..

Moist

I did read the post, its pretty hard to considering your terrible formatting, but even so, youre still giving poor advice. Why not leave the 980Ti atleast and leave a note saying if you want it cheaper then swap out the 980Ti.

For a GAMING build, why would you ever downgrade his GPU if he has it within his budget and had it in his original spec list?

Personally I'd pick a 980 instead of a 980ti and just spend less money.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Also (possibly noobish question) is it better to have 2 x 8GB of RAM, or 4 x 4GB? I would assume 2 x 8 as it leaves more room for upgrading if that is something I choose to do in the future. Also, try not to turn this into an argument on formatting. Constructive criticism my friends! :3

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

I know what I am talking about and I have a great build to back it up

No, no you dont. You DO NOT need an i7 for a Gaming build. Its completely un-necessary and redundant. If he was doing editing, 3d modelling, CAD work, then sure, otherwise its a waste of money. Thats like saying "Hey buy this which costs more and does more but you wont ever need to actually use that extra stuff so yeah buy it anyway" :/

The amount of replies this topic has gathered in ~30 mins is insane. Thanks for the help!

Hey man sorry if I sounded like a bit of a dick to some of the replies, but some people who posted in here actually were hindering your build rather than helping you. Your original build was fine, feel free to change your CPU ect, but dont downgrade your GTX 980Ti due to that change. 

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($325.00 @ CPL Online) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($157.00 @ CPL Online) 

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($203.00 @ Centre Com) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($135.00 @ CPL Online) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ Centre Com) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($1089.00 @ Centre Com) 

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.00 @ CPL Online) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ CPL Online) 

Total: $2435.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:31 AEDT+1100

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Also (possibly noobish question) is it better to have 2 x 8GB of RAM, or 4 x 4GB? I would assume 2 x 8 as it leaves more room for upgrading if that is something I choose to do in the future. Also, try not to turn this into an argument on formatting. Constructive criticism my friends! :3

2x8GB is fine, no benefit from 4 sticks in this dual channel supported build.

This is the same price as yours but with a few better components, oh and I threw out the red/black theme:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($357.00 @ CPL Online)

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.00 @ CPL Online)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($128.00 @ IJK)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($244.00 @ IJK)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($1069.00 @ CPL Online)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.00 @ Umart)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer  ($18.00 @ CPL Online)

Total: $2298.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:32 AEDT+1100

...back to red/black:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($198.00 @ CPL Online)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($131.00 @ IJK)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.00 @ Umart)

Total: $2330.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:36 AEDT+1100

Hi all, I was playing around on pccasegear.com and I got this list of parts:

http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/Slf8

I was looking for something around the mid-high range, not spending over $2500. Current build on website is $2323 and I was just wondering if:

a) All of the components are good quality, compatible, and will not blow up/die on me. Also trying to find a CPU cooler that will fit in the case and be quite effective. I don't plan on overclocking currently, but that may be something I consider in the future (so should allow for that).

B) I am not paying a lot for something that I could get the same performance from something else that is cheaper/better quality.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, so please chime in!

P.S this is my first time posting on any forum, anywhere, so if there is anything I have left out, please let me know!

Ok...try this

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($509.00 @ CPL Online) 
I have heard from a lot of people that this CPU is great for gaming. It is 8 cores hyerthreaded and should serve you well.

I have also heard from a lot of people that this is an amazing water cooler

Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($145.00 @ PLE Computers) 
I stuck with the MSI motherboard

Plenty of memory here

Storage: Transcend  128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
8gb more of storage

Plenty of storage for games

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($699.00 @ CPL Online) 
An extremely small sacrifice has been made for that i7. This GPU should be more than capable for gaming at 4k60

Case: Inwin GR One ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.00 @ Umart) 
This case has 3 ODD bays and 8 3.5in Bays...more than enough

I found this one as a bargain, 1000W 80+ Platinum. Fractal are pretty good for their PSUs. It was cheaper than some of the 750W PSUs. This should also supply enough power for another GTX 970

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer  ($18.00 @ CPL Online) 
I stuck with the Asus theme here

Total: $2042.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:28 AEDT+1100

This build is cheaper than what you proposed and should serve you EXTREMELY WELL

No, no you dont. You DO NOT need an i7 for a Gaming build. Its completely un-necessary and redundant. If he was doing editing, 3d modelling, CAD work, then sure, otherwise its a waste of money. Thats like saying "Hey buy this which costs more and does more but you wont ever need to actually use that extra stuff so yeah buy it anyway" :/

Hey man sorry if I sounded like a bit of a dick to some of the replies, but some people who posted in here actually were hindering your build rather than helping you. Your original build was fine, feel free to change your CPU ect, but dont downgrade your GTX 980Ti due to that change. 

That's fine, completely understand. Also, which is better: 4690k or 6600k?

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

2x8GB is fine, no benefit from 4 sticks in this dual channel supported build.

This is the same price as yours but with a few better components, oh and I threw out the red/black theme:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.00 @ CPL Online)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($128.00 @ IJK)

Total: $2298.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:32 AEDT+1100

**EDIT** Nevermind

Ok...try this

I have heard from a lot of people that this CPU is great for gaming. It is 8 cores hyerthreaded and should serve you well.

Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($145.00 @ PLE Computers) 
I stuck with the MSI motherboard

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($699.00 @ CPL Online) 
An extremely small sacrifice has been made for that i7. This GPU should be more than capable for gaming at 4k60

This build is cheaper than what you proposed and should serve you EXTREMELY WELL

Yep confirmed ebola has arrived.

1. Again, You do not need a i7 for Gaming.

2. You gave him a unlocked CPU but gave him a motherboard which does not support overclocking

3. Not even a 980Ti can do 4k 60fps on AAA titles

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

For gaming it really wont make any difference, If you can afford the 6600k WITH the 980Ti then id say do that, but its really not required, either way youll have a great gaming experience.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

I would get a 6600k because it costs about the same, is much newer, and the boards support newer features.  Why pay the same amount for tech that's so much older imo.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Personally I'd pick a 980 instead of a 980ti and just spend less money.

I put that in the part list that I put together

Yep confirmed ebola has arrived.

1. Again, You do not need a i7 for Gaming.

2. You gave him a unlocked CPU but gave him a motherboard which does not support overclocking

3. Not even a 980Ti can do 4k 60fps.................

1. He has a budget of $2000, there is no issue with getting an i7

2. Accidental

3. Yes it can. It has 3 display ports. This should be more than enough to be able to do 4K60

You know, its clearly a lie when Linus says that we have a lovely community. What he means is that we have a community of sweaty nerds who cant accept a better change

You know, its clearly a lie when Linus says that we have a lovely community. What he means is that we have a community of sweaty nerds who cant accept a better change

If you are unwilling to learn, you will be corrected over and over and eventually you will leave.

We are all wrong from time to time, but we that learn are not wrong about any correction made again...

Why do you have a K-Series CPU (i7 4790K) with a B85 motherboard?

If you are unwilling to learn, you will be corrected over and over and eventually you will leave.

We are all wrong from time to time, but we that learn are not wrong about any correction made again...

Yes...THAT WAS ACCIDENTAL AND I DIDN'T REALISE

1. He has a budget of $2000, there is no issue with getting an i7

2. Accidental

3. Yes it can. It has 3 display ports. This should be more than enough to be able to do 4K60

Im just going to give up on attempting to get information through to you. Youre incredibly un-informed on correct parts for a purely gaming build. 

You really need to do some actual research into these things before you try suggesting things to others.

3 display ports means nothing. The HARDWARE of the GTX 980 CAN NOT RUN 4k RESOLUTION @ 60FPS in AAA TITLE VIDEO GAMES with good settings.

Just as an example, here is 4k benchmarks of Fallout 4.

fallout-4-gpu-bench-4k-ultra.png

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

Heres the updated build:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($249.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Transcend  128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Inwin GR One ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.00 @ Umart) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer  ($18.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $2146.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 15:47 AEDT+1100

Do you know why that was a bad pairing?

No

No

Z97 allows for multiplier stepping on CPUs that are designed for it (unlocked).  Those CPUs are normally indicated by having a "K" at the end of the model number.  It is for easy overclocking.

Im just going to give up on attempting to get information through to you. Youre incredibly un-informed on correct parts for a purely gaming build. 

You really need to do some actual research into these things before you try suggesting things to others.

3 display ports means nothing. The HARDWARE of the GTX 980 CAN NOT RUN 4k RESOLUTION @ 60FPS in AAA TITLE VIDEO GAMES with good settings.

Just as an example, here is 4k benchmarks of Fallout 4.

fallout-4-gpu-bench-4k-ultra.png

To be honest I'm not sold on how most reviewers put settings.  They seem to emphasize either super high settings, or settings that purposefully discriminate to show a difference.  I'm more interested in settings *that look good* and play well at the same time.  Realistically, I'm not going to play at 4k/ultra because the fps isn't what I'd personally consider playable no matter what the card.  How do different cards do at playable settings is what I want to see.