R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

Yes! Forgot about that. That area is the easiest to run, I can have everything maxed there and peg my fps meter at 60. Go into Lexington or Boston and see what happens to them.

True...Although I do get lag spikes near some bridges near the open areas...He has another video of testing with his same specs but its still in the open areas

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

True...Although I do get lag spikes near some bridges near the open areas...He has another video of testing with his same specs but its still in the open areas

Unless it's someone like Digital Foundry take it with a grain of salt. Way too easy to fake results. Wait for the driver to release before you spend any money.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Unless it's someone like Digital Foundry take it with a grain of salt. Way too easy to fake results. Wait for the driver to release before you spend any money.

Yeah...Also I believe I can already rule out the heating temps of my computer....Cpu stays around 50 degrees and gpu is 60 and barely 70 degrees

Also my young nephews played my computer to death 5 hours with minecraft and LOL, Dota, and then another nephew played fallout 4 for 2 hours or so....If heat was the problem, then my computer could have shown some signs of overheating

Feel free to correct me if needed

Yeah...Also I believe I can already rule out the heating temps of my computer....Cpu stays around 50 degrees and gpu is 60 and barely 70 degrees

Also my young nephews played my computer to death 5 hours with minecraft and LOL, Dota, and then another nephew played fallout 4 for 2 hours or so....If heat was the problem, then my computer could have shown some signs of overheating

Feel free to correct me if needed

Nope, those temps sound good. If you ever want the joy of chasing temperature problems, crossfire. You'll never be bored again :lol:

Don't worry my friend. Ether enjoy the game the best you can, or wait for driver support to kick in. With any luck it will be any day now. If you want to dig into Catalyst set a profile for Fallout and see if you can improve things in those settings. take some trial and error, and I haven't done much with it myself and haven't found anything online unfortunately. Hope it gets better for you

Update: Amd released the new drivers for amd cards that are having trouble playing fallout 4..didn't install it yet

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486459-amd-releases-15111-beta-drivers-with-optimizations-for-fallout-4-and-starwars-battlefront/

Re-edited this link since its the same thing but more info

What is going on here?! he is playing without any stuttering  :angry:

It still stutters because his framerates fluctuates between 30-ish to 55-ish pretty heavily, 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It still stutters because his framerates fluctuates between 30-ish to 55-ish pretty heavily, 

The update is up, this thread is probably irrelevant now :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Then you're doing it wrong. Drop the shadow distance to medium along with the god rays.

Then you're doing it wrong. Drop the shadow distance to medium along with the god rays.

Umm I think he is talking about the dude in the video and I think he would probably get the same results with the framerate fluctuation even godrays on medium since in the video the settings are at the lowest or at low

Umm I think he is talking about the dude in the video and I think he would probably get the same results with the framerate fluctuation even godrays on medium since in the video the settings are at the lowest or at low

You're right, should have said they're. Point stand that if you have a 390 and can't play the game on medium settings at max fps, you have a separate problem from the game or GPU.

Well, downloaded the patch and tried running High and ultra Shadow distance and god rays. It's not fixed. In Diamond City you're fine, go back to Lexington and your FPS take a dive. And here's the fucked up part. I was getting 45fps standing still with my CPU at 60% and my 390 not even clocking to its set 1100MHz let along getting 100% usage. Fucking god damn bullshit.

Well, downloaded the patch and tried running High and ultra Shadow distance and god rays. It's not fixed. In Diamond City you're fine, go back to Lexington and your FPS take a dive. And here's the fucked up part. I was getting 45fps standing still with my CPU at 60% and my 390 not even clocking to its set 1100MHz let along getting 100% usage. Fucking god damn bullshit.

So are you back to hating AMD again?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

So are you back to hating AMD again?

No, just pissed. I uninstalled Catalyst and re installed Catalyst making sure to grab the version that has the Fallout 4 driver. Fucked up thing is the hang up on start, that the driver specifically says it addresses, still fucking there. Might actually be worse. In game Lexington is better, but I never see 100% GPU usage and my CPU never crosses 60% but my fps crash to as low as 35 in places while in Lexington. Only thing I can think of is my ram is a bottleneck as it's only at 1600MHz. I won't buy ram for just one game though. Extremely frustrating...

I am still getting lag spikes in the game when rendering areas especially new areas in the open area wasteland but not as constant as before.....I suppose its my ram or cpu since I do have a g3220 pentium dual core

Do you guys think adding a new 1x8 1600 mhz gb of ram with 1x4 will help?  Heat is not an issue so far and fallout 4 eats up 3.20 gigs of my ram out of 3.88 but since I have java installed...that java may eat up more stuff than expected and probably at the same time windows too

No, just pissed. I uninstalled Catalyst and re installed Catalyst making sure to grab the version that has the Fallout 4 driver. Fucked up thing is the hang up on start, that the driver specifically says it addresses, still fucking there. Might actually be worse. In game Lexington is better, but I never see 100% GPU usage and my CPU never crosses 60% but my fps crash to as low as 35 in places while in Lexington. Only thing I can think of is my ram is a bottleneck as it's only at 1600MHz. I won't buy ram for just one game though. Extremely frustrating...

I feel your pain. That's why I try <------ keyword, and shy away from day 1 releases. I know I'm getting a shitty experience but sometimes still wind up getting it at release. Makes no damn sense, right? I'm sure to be bound to your situation Thursday. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I couldn't help myself though as Ubisoft was offering $20 off pre-orders on Amazon. A $60 dollar game for $40? I'll take it even if its riddled with bugs.... though I have a slight <-------- another keyword, albeit for heavy emphasis when talking Ubisoft, hope that it might be in a playable state seeing as consoles have gotten great reviews compared to Unity.

Hang in there though. Its frustrating to all hell but AMD will get it sorted out eventually.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Well, you're not the only one complaining. Bethesda kinda fucked up with that one, you gotta deal with it sadly... I feel you man.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well, you're not the only one complaining. Bethesda kinda fucked up with that one, you gotta deal with it sadly... I feel you man.

Yeah, I put this on Bethesda at this point, and when a Bethesda fanboy says that they dun fucked up. That said the game runs better with the 390 by itself and outside of cities I'm pegged at 60fps with max settings. I'm going to drop the settings back down when I head into town.

And thanks guys.

I did some testing.

I found a spot away from a city where I was having a fps problem. Standing still I was getting 43fps on average, everything maxed, GPU at about 60% and CPU at 60%. I dropped the shadow distance and god rays to high. Exact same results. Dropped shadow distance and god rays to medium, 60fps (and something interesting that I will comment on later).

Now for the shocker. I put god rays back to ultra. With everything maxed out but shadow distance alone dropped to medium, fps pegged at 60fps. But more important, CPU usage was at 25% and GPU usage was at 100%!!! What the literal fuck?!? That's a bottleneck. Ether the RAM or CPU are bottlenecking the 390. I would think if the 4690k was responsible I wouldn't see only 60% usage during fps drops, it should be 100% right? Proof of a RAM bottleneck?

I did some testing.

I found a spot away from a city where I was having a fps problem. Standing still I was getting 43fps on average, everything maxed, GPU at about 60% and CPU at 60%. I dropped the shadow distance and god rays to high. Exact same results. Dropped shadow distance and god rays to medium, 60fps (and something interesting that I will comment on later).

Now for the shocker. I put god rays back to ultra. With everything maxed out but shadow distance alone dropped to medium, fps pegged at 60fps. But more important, CPU usage was at 25% and GPU usage was at 100%!!! What the literal fuck?!? That's a bottleneck. Ether the RAM or CPU are bottlenecking the 390. I would think if the 4690k was responsible I wouldn't see only 60% usage during fps drops, it should be 100% right? Proof of a RAM bottleneck?

This spot? Check the FPS and this on GTX980Ti, found it on Reddit

9aZi62f.jpg

Btw, can someone upload their savegame at Lexington? I just want to do some testing.

Anyone tried ENBBoost for Fallout 4? http://enbdev.com/download_mod_fallout4.htm

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yeah, I put this on Bethesda at this point, and when a Bethesda fanboy says that they dun fucked up. That said the game runs better with the 390 by itself and outside of cities I'm pegged at 60fps with max settings. I'm going to drop the settings back down when I head into town.

And thanks guys.

that game on my machine feel pretty light i have EVERYTHING on max settings but i use FXAA for me at 1440p it looks amazingly sharp and godrays set to ''HIGH'' everything else on ultra/maxed out settings i get anywhere from 75 to 120FPS...it's butter smooth this game.

AMD fucked up, not bethesda

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

that game on my machine feel pretty light i have EVERYTHING on max settings but i use FXAA for me at 1440p it looks amazingly sharp and godrays set to ''HIGH'' everything else on ultra/maxed out settings i get anywhere from 75 to 120FPS...it's butter smooth this game.

You're comparing a 980Ti to a 390, that's not even close... Either way, read @App4that and @xAcid9 latest two posts, many people have issues with fallout, even on Nvidia cards...

EDIT: To prove that it's Bethesda who screwed up the optimization, look at this short article:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/fallout_4_s_performance_on_amd_increases_dramatically_with_new_drivers/1

With new drivers Fallout 4-optimized, the Fury X actually beat a 980Ti in 4K (despite it being an Nvidia game) and the average FPS improved even by 20 frames. If someone has issues now, it's not the drivers or the brand of his GPU, it's Bethesda...

To quote another article about a first found Fallout 4 game-breaking bug ( http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4s-first-game-breaking-bug-has-been-found/?utm_content=buffer36d5b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb )

"It's not unusual for a Bethesda game to be buggy at launch—it would be unusual if it wasn't, I think we'd all agree"

@don_svetlio If you didn't see the first link yet about F4 driver fix from AMD, check it out, you'll probably be interested in the results

Multiple peeps with 980 tis and 780s have fps drops. Can confirm beth did a poor job in optimizing this pc port. And no, don't tell me that just because you don't have a problem with the game that means other people don't. Go browse the steam forums. Maybe even share your settings with other 980 ti owners since they're the ones having an unpleasant experience.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I did some testing.

Is crossfire working now?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

You're comparing a 980Ti to a 390, that's not even close... Either way, read @App4that and @xAcid9 latest two posts, many people have issues with fallout, even on Nvidia cards...

actualy 980ti @ 1440p = R9 390 @ 1080p no? :huh:

i mean my from what i can tell in many games my GTX780 @ 1080p was achieving somewhat similar performance to my 980ti at 1440p...which would make sense since the 980ti is roughly 65% faster than the 780 BUT 1440p is 77.77% more pixels to render...i mean yes the 980ti is more consistant and perform a bit better but even a GTX 780 or GTX970 or R9 290/390 should have NO PROBLEM playing that game on high settings easily.

Multiple peeps with 980 tis and 780s have fps drops. Can confirm beth did a poor job in optimizing this pc port. And no, don't tell me that just because you don't have a problem with the game that means other people don't. Go browse the steam forums. Maybe even share your settings with other 980 ti owners since they're the ones having an unpleasant experience.

unpleasant experience?!?! are you freaking kidding me?! do you SERIOUSLY even begin to consider that a super powerful 700$ GM200 gpu can't max out a game built on a 5 years+ old game engine?! seriously?! i mean unless maybe you try to render the game at 4K i see no way you can get a ''unpleasant experience'' on a 980ti...it totaly destroy the game at 1440p i'm above 80FPS 95%+ of the time and my settings well they are simple: 2560x1440 - FXAA - graphics detailed all maxed out (i run HIGH godrays because the highest setting is too much for my liking, not because it hurt the performance in any ways).

Maybe those guys that are complaining are running it on a core i5-4440 or freaking FX-83XX or something like that instead of a powerful overclocked haswell core i7 CPU and THIS is the problem to their poorer experience, not the nvidia GTX 980ti graphics card.

Tonight i'll do a video about that i'll show my settings and record some footage on max details, i'll have something to show you guys.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

unpleasant experience?!?! are you freaking kidding me?! do you SERIOUSLY even begin to consider that a super powerful 700$ GM200 gpu can't max out a game built on a 5 years+ old game engine?! seriously?! i mean unless maybe you try to render the game at 4K i see no way you can get a ''unpleasant experience'' on a 980ti...it totaly destroy the game at 1440p i'm above 80FPS 95%+ of the time and my settings well they are simple: 2560x1440 - FXAA - graphics detailed all maxed out (i run HIGH godrays because the highest setting is too much for my liking, not because it hurt the performance in any ways).

Maybe those guys that are complaining are running it on a core i5-4440 or freaking FX-83XX or something like that instead of a powerful overclocked haswell core i7 CPU and THIS is the problem to their poorer experience, not the nvidia GTX 980ti graphics card.

Tonight i'll do a video about that i'll show my settings and record some footage on max details, i'll have something to show you guys.

Duh... Dips to the 20s ain't an enjoyable experience. And the "$700" GM200 ain't the problem here. The game is. You blame AMD for frame dips but you don't blame Nvidia when there are frame dips on the 980 Ti? And no. No where in my statement did I blame nvidia. In fact I specifically said beth is the culprit for all this. 

And oh look a i7 4790k, 980 Ti and 16GB ram owner having problems. http://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136898106802/ You might wanna help him/her out

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case