R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

Of course we'll see, the main advantage of Hawaii and the newer Grenada is that they're significantly more powerful in computing than Maxwell, DX12 is made specifically to reduce driver overhead, if that's the case then by following basic logic the AMD cards have a higher chance to improve their performance, we will find out in the future though, that's only my prediction based on everything that's known about DX12 as for today ;) I do not think software will reduce the gap in computing power, as Nvidia cards actually saw a performance decrease in some early DX12 benchmarks compared to DX11 perhaps of them being unable to properly use async, I'm not sure why exactly.

hahaha...maxwell has reduced computing performance?

Go tell that to the creators at disney studios, or dreamworks or pixar animation studios or pretty much EVERY other proffesional box that use purely nvidia hardware AND softwares for their work...CUDA is VASTLY superior to Open CL no matter what you think go look some benchmarks grab some applications that can leverage both CUDA and OpenCL and look at the numbers...the nvidia cards especialy the maxwell cards have the most computing horsepower in the industry they can leverage BOTH cuda AND openCL (AMD faster at openCL though that's a given but most applications either support only CUDA or both Cuda and openCL) that has to be the reason why the Quadro cards outsell the firepro cards 85% to 15%...they are BETTER at COMPUTING tasks as well...i don't know where you got that stupid idea from but it's not legit...it's pure BS.

Maxwell saw removal of double-floating point computing because for 99.9% of the people out there it's completely useless and it adds a ton to the complexity and cost in manufacturing the GPU's for no real benefit...not to gimp it or make it less powerful or less competitive that's complete bullshit nvidia is leader in compute cards they would never do such a thing and the GTX 980/980ti are serious beast when it comes to rendering in premiere or any other app that use Cuda acceleration (AKA most serious applications that people actualy use out there)

You and I both know it's not that bad because AMD don't work to screw over the end user by gimping all cards - it's just that Tess gimps Maxwell less than GCN.

last night a decision was took on my behalf not to answer you again, since you always think i'm drunk stone and stupid fanboy. thanks!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Go tell that to the creators at disney studios, or dreamworks or pixar animation studios or pretty much EVERY other proffesional box that use purely nvidia hardware AND softwares for their work...CUDA is VASTLY superior to Open CL no matter what you think go look some benchmarks grab some applications that can leverage both CUDA and OpenCL and look at the numbers...the nvidia cards especialy the maxwell cards have the most computing horsepower in the industry they can leverage BOTH cuda AND openCL (AMD faster at openCL though that's a given but most applications either support only CUDA or both Cuda and openCL) that has to be the reason why the Quadro cards outsell the firepro cards 85% to 15%...they are BETTER at COMPUTING tasks as well...i don't know where you got that stupid idea from but it's not legit...it's pure BS.

Maxwell saw removal of double-floating point computing because for 99.9% of the people out there it's completely useless and it adds a ton to the complexity and cost in manufacturing the GPU's for no real benefit...

last night a decision was took on my behalf not to answer you again, since you always think i'm drunk stone and stupid fanboy. thanks!

59309.png

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

67919.png

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

0101-Bitmining.png0104-PostFX.png07-PostFX.png

560 Ti > 680 - kek
geforce-gtx-680-opencl-luxmark.jpg

Maxwell saw removal of double-floating point computing because for 99.9% of the people out there it's completely useless and it adds a ton to the complexity and cost in manufacturing the GPU's for no real benefit...not to gimp it or make it less powerful or less competitive that's complete bullshit nvidia is leader in compute cards they would never do such a thing and the GTX 980/980ti are serious beast when it comes to rendering in premiere or any other app that use Cuda acceleration (AKA most serious applications that people actualy use out there)

I didn't specify what I meant, sorry for that, let me explain. For example, a 780Ti is a significantly more powerful card according to specs than a GTX 970, yet a GTX 970 can outperform it in DX11 games. I meant that on usual, according to specs, AMD cards are more powerful on average but they performed worse, just like a 780Ti to a 970. 780Ti is closer to a 290X in terms of specs and power draw, but Kepler had more computing power on average than Maxwell, from what I've read (it might be false obviously) they cut raw computing power in favor of higher clock speeds and lower power consumption when they made Maxwell, which worked out well under DX11 (I'm mainly talking about the GTX 970 case) but when AMD improved their DX11 drivers recently, the card with better specs (390) pulled out ahead, I'm not saying that Titan X can't compute etc, in no way, but it's also the rule in the 960 vs 380 case in which 380 wins by 10-15% :P Hope that cleared it up

That is why I believe that current AMD lineup is going to outperform current Nvidia lineup in most cases in DX12, I might be wrong though ^^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I didn't specify what I meant, sorry for that, let me explain. For example, a 780Ti is a significantly more powerful card according to specs than a GTX 970, yet a GTX 970 can outperform it in DX11 games. I meant that on usual, according to specs, AMD cards are more powerful on average but they performed worse, just like a 780Ti to a 970. 780Ti is closer to a 290X in terms of specs and power draw, but Kepler had more computing power on average than Maxwell, from what I've read (it might be false obviously) they cut raw computing power in favor of higher clock speeds and lower power consumption when they made Maxwell, which worked out well under DX11 (I'm mainly talking about the GTX 970 case) but when AMD improved their DX11 drivers recently, the card with better specs (390) pulled out ahead, I'm not saying that Titan X can't compute etc, in no way, but it's also the rule in the 960 vs 380 case in which 380 wins by 10-15% :P Hope that cleared it up

You're right - hence why Pascal is marketed as being 10x faster (in compute) compared to Maxwell which was several times slower than Kepler.

[removed]

67748.png

Edited by Godlygamer23

Keep the post on topic and cut out the arguing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Anyone got any news confirming that AMD is somewhat aware of the issue....even a slight bit?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Anyone got any news confirming that AMD is somewhat aware of the issue....even a slight bit?

They are - it'd be PR suicide not to

Seems legit enough

BTW OP, did you enjoy the show  B)

Save me some of that popcorn

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Seems legit enough

BTW OP, did you enjoy the show  B)

Save me some of that popcorn

What show? :o

Oh, oh. Yeah, nevermind

^^ see he goes at it again WHAT LOAD OF BULLSHIT...the MAXWELL BASED CARDS are the FASTEST IN THE WORLD in COMPUTE TASKS...several times faster than kepler across the board and they are doing so while consuming A LOT less energy, what he post is complete garbage!!

HOW would nvidia go at selling 4000$ MAXWELL BASED QUADRO CARDS if they would be ''SEVERAL TIMES SLOWER THAN OLD KEPLER CARDS''

EXPLAIN THIS TO BE BEFORE I GO NUTS!!! moron.

you make no fucking sense what so ever as a whole son, get lost.

I'm no expert, all of what I said is what I concluded after reading numerous articles on the tech sites and seeing many different benchmarks and statistics over quite some time, my theory might be wrong, it is a theory though, which isn't taken completely out of my sleeve :P I believe in it so much that I swapped my 970 for a 290X, and so far I'm very positive about the change, so that's promising

I mean they're trying to be a serious company, I doubt it's possible that they weren't aware of that and weren't working on the issue, the real question is - will a patch fix the issues to at least even out things between a 390/970 380/960? Not sure, there is a possibility it will only improve the performance a bit for example.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I'm no expert, all of what I said is what I concluded after reading numerous articles on the tech sites and seeing many different benchmarks and statistics over quite some time, my theory might be wrong, it is a theory though, which isn't taken completely out of my sleeve :P I believe in it so much that I swapped my 970 for a 290X, and so far I'm very positive about the change, so that's promising

i have no doubt that in many titles your 290X do outperform the 970 by a fair bit: it's normal it's a much bigger GPU with more cores (stream processors) vs much less cores (Cuda cores) therefore it's normal for it to be able to render games at a faster pace...but even then, if you compare the amount of energy and heat and driver hassle and poor support by game developers etc. is it really worth the trade off i guess would be the right question to ask yourself...i can tell you that when it comes to computing, maxwell cards are leaders in the industry right now and the biggest production box are using them...fully...to full full full extent...so good, that this is the price to pay if you want to get one of these beastly cards:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-video-card-vcqm6000pb

This is nothing else than a cherry picked titanX GPU that underwent several valiation testing to ensure it's the best quality and reliability there is...AMD also have those cherry picked GPU's, but almost nobody use and buy them because the support for OpenCL is not as great and yet again nvidia deliver what's needed by applications developers to code for CUDA.

3072 cuda cores on this beastly video card, this will do wonders in ANY application with support for CUDA acceleration...5000$...that's how good maxwell is at compute tasks. (you really think nvidia could ask 5000$ if this video card was ''several times slower than the kepler based cards'' like this clown is pretending? don't you see the shnit he spit won't make any sense?

Ask people on this forum...Linus's crew? what are they using to render LTT videos? you guessed it...titanX.

A 400$ GTX 970 with it's 1664 cuda cores can also compute a fair bit under CUDA btw...no need to spend that much if all you do is edit videos in adobe premiere and some photoshop ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i have no doubt that in many titles your 290X do outperform the 970 by a fair bit: it's normal it's a much bigger GPU with more cores (stream processors) vs much less cores (Cuda cores) therefore it's normal for it to be able to render games at a faster pace...but even then, if you compare the amount of energy and heat and driver hassle and poor support by game developers etc. is it really worth the trade off i guess would be the right question to ask yourself...i can tell you that when it comes to computing, maxwell cards are leaders in the industry right now and the biggest production box are using them...fully...to full full full extent...so good, that this is the price to pay if you want to get one of these beastly cards:

This is nothing else than a cherry picked titanX GPU that underwent several valiation testing to ensure it's the best quality and reliability there is...AMD also have those cherry picked GPU's, but almost nobody use and buy them because the support for OpenCL is not as great and yet again nvidia deliver what's needed by applications developers to code for CUDA.

3072 cuda cores on this beastly video card, this will do wonders in ANY application with support for CUDA acceleration...5000$...that's how good maxwell is at compute tasks. (you really think nvidia could ask 5000$ if this video card was ''several times slower than the kepler based cards'' like this clown is pretending? don't you see the shnit he spit won't make any sense?

Ask people on this forum...Linus's crew? what are they using to render LTT videos? you guessed it...titanX.

A 400$ GTX 970 with it's 1664 cuda cores can also compute a fair bit under CUDA btw...no need to spend that much if all you do is edit videos in adobe premiere and some photoshop ;)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/483595-nvidia-announces-new-tesla-accelerators/page-2

Then why is the Kepler card marketed as "Compute" and has 10 times higher DP? Please...

Too bad I didn't get a 970, I just ordered a strix r9 390 and I have a 4460. Should I return it when I get it?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

Too bad I didn't get a 970, I just ordered a strix r9 390 and I have a 4460. Should I return it when I get it?

Nope. You should crossfire your 290 with the 390 and rekt every game there is :P

I have this really annoying problem with my 290 drivers. I am hesitant to go with another amd card because either want hood customers service

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

Strix 390 isn't the best one but it's still better than a 970.

I have this really annoying problem with my 290 drivers. I am hesitant to go with another amd card because either want hood customers service

Explain? Maybe I can help.

Someone else on the forum has gone through this with me, there's no safe solution really other than flashing the bios which I don't want to do or feel comfortable with

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/483595-nvidia-announces-new-tesla-accelerators/page-2

Then why is the Kepler card marketed as "Compute" and has 10 times higher DP? Please...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-precision_floating-point_format

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-faq

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-precision_floating-point_format

feel free to educate yourself...you clearly have no idea what double-precision mean and what it could be used for (useless for...) and why it has been removed from maxwell based graphics cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/2

Now to be clear here, when we say GM200 favors graphics we don’t mean exclusively, but rather it favors graphics and its associated FP32 math over FP64 math. GM200 is still a FP32 compute powerhouse, unlike anything else in NVIDIA’s lineup, and we don’t expect it will be matched by anything else from NVIDIA for quite some time. For that reason I wouldn’t be too surprised if we a Tesla card using it aimed at FP32 users such the oil & gas industry – something NVIDIA has done once before with the Tesla K10 – but you won’t be seeing GM200 in the successor to Tesla K40.

no you should not do that unless you don't like the card and the performance it give you.

Well, I wouldn't say that the reason this card costs 5000$ is that it's 5000$ good, they just can get that much for it :P

Anyway, please look at this: http://imgur.com/a/58Y0t these are comparisons of specs 970 vs 780Ti and 970 vs 290X (it's in Polish but you'll get it I'm sure, the title says "reasons to get") don't these statistics define the power of a GPU? Both the 290X and 780Ti destroy 970 in the raw specs, doesn't that mean a 970 is much weaker in raw computing power?

no you should not do that unless you don't like the card and the performance it give you.

Especially that he already has a 290, he can crossfire those and use the 390 as a main card :P