R9 390 Fallout 4 Optimization

Matt_Twinkletoes

Oddly enough my game runs good on medium to low..but when it comes to rendering the world...It causes major lag spikes that I have to wait a minute and a half to stop the lag spikes and for it to finish rendering.....You seen my cpu and gpu but I wonder if the ram is the culprit since I have only have 4GB

FO4 likes fast RAM and lots of it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Oddly enough my game runs good on medium to low..but when it comes to rendering the world...It causes major lag spikes that I have to wait a minute and a half to stop the lag spikes and for it to finish rendering.....You seen my cpu and gpu but I wonder if the ram is the culprit since I have only have 4GB

Yep, you need 8g of ram minimum, and the speed is important too. My 16g of 1600MHz ram still has trouble with loading textures with the game on a SSD. From what I hear a 2400MHz kit helps a lot.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yep, you need 8g of ram minimum, and the speed is important too. My 16g of 1600MHz ram still has trouble with loading textures with the game on a SSD. From what I hear a 2400MHz kit helps a lot.

46% faster from 1600 to 2400 :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

46% faster from 1600 to 2400 :)

Almost picked up a set, but I'm not going to spend 80us for one game. So I'll live with the 1600 kit until I go to Skylake.

So is ram the culprit then?

Also I seen other people play the game fine with no lag spikes with similar or worst specs to mine?

For example, there is one guy playing with an intel core quad q6600 3.0 ghz, with 4gb of ram of 1333mhz, and gtx 460 1gb?

Another guy is playing with an a4 amd quad core, with an r7 240, and 4gbs of ram?  

That is very odd

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

So is ram the culprit then?

Also I seen other people play the game fine with no lag spikes with similar or worst specs to mine?

For example, there is one guy playing with an intel core quad q6600 3.0 ghz, with 4gb of ram of 1333mhz, and gtx 460 1gb?

Another guy is playing with an a4 amd quad core, with an r7 240, and 4gbs of ram?

That is very odd

Settings, storage device speed (why I yell at people for having an expensive PC with cheap storage), ram clock speed, tons of things effect how the game plays. Even your temperatures can effect it. Dedicate some time to tracking down any possible issue, remove the things you can test for like temperatures first.

One game where ram speed matters...

And no1 has made a video comparing 1333/1600/2400 yet?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Settings, storage device speed (why I yell at people for having an expensive PC with cheap storage), ram clock speed, tons of things effect how the game plays. Even your temperatures can effect it. Dedicate some time to tracking down any possible issue, remove the things you can test for like temperatures first.

My HDD is 1tb 7200 rpm (400 to 500gb left), 1600 mhz ram 1x4, setting are put all at the lowest especially godsray, especially the resolution.

High performance is put on, amd drivers are well up to date (not up to date for fallout 4)

Should I use hwmonitor to check my temps after exiting fallout 4 after playing it for a while?  Also I play other games for hours pretty fine

My HDD is 1tb 7200 rpm (400 to 500gb left), 1600 mhz ram 1x4, setting are put all at the lowest especially godsray, especially the resolution.

High performance is put on, amd drivers are well up to date (not up to date for fallout 4)

Should I use hwmonitor to check my temps after exiting fallout 4 after playing it for a while?  Also I play other games for hours pretty fine

single channel 4GB 1600 - yeah... good luck

One game where ram speed matters...

And no1 has made a video comparing 1333/1600/2400 yet?

Yes, digital foundery did. Eurogamer covered it too. And it's not just one game, there's a 50fps difference in Rise using the 2400 kit. It just doesn't effect 1080p users as much so with a overpowered GPU like a 390 most of us don't worry.

Should I use hwmonitor to check my temps after exiting fallout 4 after playing it for a while? Also I play other games for hours pretty fine

Use MSI afterburner and Realtemp to check your temperatures.

I thought turning down shadows and AA to gain FPS was common knowledge.  I guess you kiddies have good GPUs or something =P

First thing I turn down when I play a demanding title on my measly R9 280 is the shadow quality/resolution because... wtf they're shadows people.

I think Dying Light was the most taxing game I have tried.  2x AA, shadow resolution low, foliage low, some sub-sectioned HD light sources for the stable 60 fps.  The game still looks fantastic. 

I thought turning down shadows and AA to gain FPS was common knowledge. I guess you kiddies have good GPUs or something =P

First thing I turn down when I play a demanding title on my measly R9 280 is the shadow quality/resolution because... wtf they're shadows people.

I think Dying Light was the most taxing game I have tried. 2x AA, shadow resolution low, foliage low, some sub-sectioned HD light sources for the stable 60 fps. The game still looks fantastic.

In Fallout 4 it's the shadow distance over the shadow quality that gets you. On medium the shadows pop up almost right in front of you but the game runs smooth as silk, on high they're quite a bit out and the game runs like ass. There needs to be a med/high setting.

In Fallout 4 it's the shadow distance over the shadow quality that gets you. On medium the shadows pop up almost right in front of you but the game runs smooth as silk, on high they're quite a bit out and the game runs like ass. There needs to be a med/high setting.

Every game is different, but I am quite used to spending 5-10 minutes adjusting video settings to get the best experience @ 60FPS.  That 1% dip has to stay above 45 fps.

@App4that

Dying Light, I had to get a 3rd party settings manager that let me change a ton of things that the in game settings menu did not offer.

Every game is different, but I am quite used to spending 5-10 minutes adjusting video settings to get the best experience @ 60FPS.  That 1% dip has to stay above 45 fps.

@App4that

Dying Light, I had to get a 3rd party settings manager that let me change a ton of things that the in game settings menu did not offer.

I shall investigate this. Thanks!

Use MSI afterburner and Realtemp to check your temperatures.

Can MSI afterburner be used with any components of my system regardless of brand? 

single channel 4GB 1600 - yeah... good luck

planning to add an 1x8 gb of 1600mhz ram to a second ram slot...Is it okay to have a different brand than my previous one?

Can MSI afterburner be used with any components of my system regardless of brand? 

Yes, I've used it on Sapphire, Leadtek and Asus cards.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

planning to add an 1x8 gb of 1600mhz ram to a second ram slot...Is it okay to have a different brand than my previous one?

Yep, just know the timing matching will help and the slowest ram stick will dictate your Rams speed.

Okay just pulled this video out

- Dude has 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz Which is weaker than my ram  :wacko:

-Dude has AMD Radeon R7 250X 1GB GDDR5 MSI, Exactly like my gpu but different brand   :blink:

What is going on here?! he is playing without any stuttering  :angry:

-Dude has weaker cpu than mine (intel pentium g3220 is better than  Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400)  :unsure:

-Dude has AMD Radeon R7 250X 1GB GDDR5 MSI, Exactly like my gpu but different brand   :blink:

Your Pentium is NOT better than the core 2 quad for this game.

I stand corrected but any other explanation

-Dude has weaker cpu than mine (intel pentium g3220 is better than  Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400)  :unsure:

Yep, Fallout 4 is all about the CPU. It flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that the GPU is more important than the CPU in video games.

I stand corrected but any other explanation

Settings, and he is in a sparse open area of the world.

Settings, and he is in a sparse open area of the world.

Yes! Forgot about that. That area is the easiest to run, I can have everything maxed there and peg my fps meter at 60. Go into Lexington or Boston and see what happens to them.