New thermal paste on CPU. Shutting down after POSTing

KH_PL

Hello,

First I would like to apologise if I broke any posting rules (first time).

I decided to dust my PC. And while doing so removed fan and cooler on CPU. Noticing that thermal paste was all dried up and some of it clumbled out. I decided for first time in my life to change thermal paste. I ordered Arctic Cooling MX-4 (i hope it is ok).

I applied new thermal paste to my CPU. PC is POSTing (I can login to windows), but after a moment it is shutting down. After that it does start and immediately shuts down. Once it is cooled down I can get to windows again.

So after it cooled down I went to BIOS and checked temperature (I let it run in BIOS). It was steadily climbing up form 26 to around 39-40 before shutting down.

I am right in assuming that I applied thermal paste wrong? Or could it be something else?

My PC Specs:

CPU - Core i7 860, MB - Intel DP55WB, RAM - 16GB(8x2), GRAPHICS - GTX Titan, Win 7 64-bit

40°C isn't even close to a temp to shut ur PC down, you must've installed something wrong

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Did some Thermal paste get on your motherboard? How much did you use?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I used pea shape and size was about half of cooked grain rice. I didn't let any on mother board. I used pocket tissue soaked in 99% rubbing alchol to remove old one. After that I used compressed air to remove any eventual fibre (there wasn't any but just incase).

Well I didn't change anything besides paste and all fans are working. At least I don't need to worry about CPU burning. Maybe it is BIOS?

I will try again after I come back home from abroad and post update (wanted to gather some ideas before coming back since that is my only PC).

My PC Specs:

CPU - Core i7 860, MB - Intel DP55WB, RAM - 16GB(8x2), GRAPHICS - GTX Titan, Win 7 64-bit

Thanks for confirmation.

Well it is booting ;) (I can get past windows login screen). Then it's sudden power off (like loss of power) - I assume CPU is too hot and does some kind emergency shut down. Then it is automaticaly starting to tuning on, but is shutting down next second (sudden power down). After cooling down it can get past login screen again.

My PC Specs:

Hello again

So I changed thermal compound again. Again Windows is booting. I even managed to download program to monitor cpu temperatures. And then it powered down. Temperature was around 58-60. Other thing vorty of note was that hdd was working very intensly.

Then I did monitor cpu temp through bios and it powered down around 40. Not much work from hdd.

Can anyone advice what to do? Maybe do some kind of full diagnostic? Any way to do trobuleshooting in this situation?

My PC Specs:

sounds like something isnt seated properly. check your ram and gpu, all your power connections, and make sure the cpu cooler is properly attached

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

sounds like something isnt seated properly. check your ram and gpu, all your power connections, and make sure the cpu cooler is properly attached

So I did check. Altough I didn't feel anything being wrong it helped. It must be like you said and something got lose when changing paste.

As usual big problems have simple solutions

So far I menaged to run windows for more then 1h. Installed all updates (and now I am downloading Fallout 4 to try to play it :D)

Edit

Posted to early it still shuts down.

My PC Specs:

a little challenging without a baseline. regardless, synthetic benchmarks going to be your buddy for now.

Here is what i would do. I dont quite know what cooler you are using, but if you are still using the stock, take them out and have a good look at the feet. If any of the 4 feet are bent, it might be high time for you to invest in a decent cooler. Bent feet might lead to not having good contact.

If the HSF is really secure, next i would do is to set clock speeds back to standard if you had done any overclocking. Your bios might have an utility that tells your what temps you are running at, with nothing going on. It should not be too much higher than ambient temps. Your fan should spin at a reasonably speed even on idle.

Now if in the bios screen temps seems okay, go into windows and capture your baseline temperatures, then take readings while a test is going on. I use prime95. Run it for 20 minutes, temperatures should apex around there. Your CPU fan, if its PWM controlled, should be ramping up to its max at this point. Stock HSFs are very obviously louder. If you already have aftermarkets, decent ones should have PWM controlled fans anyhoo, and they should spin faster. If it doesnt spin as fast as it used to, you may need to change the fan(s).

past the 20 minute mark, if the system hasnt crashed yet, it will usually last the night, if you are the sort who likes to torture his devices. anyways, that simple check will determine whether your CPU is shutting down due to thermal limits. If it doesnt crash, then its possibly something else.

OK my PC is semi-stable.

Now unless I do something CPU intensive everything is ok. I did used it normally (browsing web, watching youtube, downloading Fallout 4, etc). When I try to run prime95 it lasted for 9 min before shutting down. It was hovering around 80-82 degrees(but I have not noticed temperatures right before shutdown).

I'm using stock cooler. All feet are plastic, not bend and sitting firmly from what I can tell (now wiggle or anything like that). I didn't overclock. In Bios it starts around 26 then slowly climbs to approx 38-40. As I writing this highest temp was 53.

I am thinking about ordering Hyper 212 EVO and see if it helps.

My PC Specs:

W

Hello,

First I would like to apologise if I broke any posting rules (first time).

I decided to dust my PC. And while doing so removed fan and cooler on CPU. Noticing that thermal paste was all dried up and some of it clumbled out. I decided for first time in my life to change thermal paste. I ordered Arctic Cooling MX-4 (i hope it is ok).

I applied new thermal paste to my CPU. PC is POSTing (I can login to windows), but after a moment it is shutting down. After that it does start and immediately shuts down. Once it is cooled down I can get to windows again.

So after it cooled down I went to BIOS and checked temperature (I let it run in BIOS). It was steadily climbing up form 26 to around 39-40 before shutting down.

I am right in assuming that I applied thermal paste wrong? Or could it be something else?

What board are you using ?

I had a similar problem with my computer , turns out it was becuase i had removed the jumper on the 3 pin cmos .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I am using intel DP55WB. I know it's old. I am playing upgrade. 3 pin cmos is under my graphics card. will check it out.

My PC Specs:

Is the fan actually spinning on the cooler?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well if life was so simple :) .

Yes it is spinning.

My PC Specs:

OK my PC is semi-stable.

Now unless I do something CPU intensive everything is ok. I did used it normally (browsing web, watching youtube, downloading Fallout 4, etc). When I try to run prime95 it lasted for 9 min before shutting down. It was hovering around 80-82 degrees(but I have not noticed temperatures right before shutdown).

I'm using stock cooler. All feet are plastic, not bend and sitting firmly from what I can tell (now wiggle or anything like that). I didn't overclock. In Bios it starts around 26 then slowly climbs to approx 38-40. As I writing this highest temp was 53.

I am thinking about ordering Hyper 212 EVO and see if it helps.

Your idle temps are kinda high even on stock cooler. Nothing wrong with the 212 cooler, im sure its compatible with skylake if you want to upgrade soon.