is "Frostbite 3" the best game engine so far ?

Go to solution Solved by Bangflop,

I don't know if I would say it's the best engine so far because that would have to depend on what type of game you are making.  If you are making a 2D indie game, you wouldn't want to use Frostbite 3.

I do know that Frostbite 3 is well optimized and for the current triple A titles, I think they want a game that isn't broken out of the gate (cough) Batman Arkham Night, the past 3 AC game (cough).

i see many companies switching from their old engine to Frostbite 3 on their new games

the new Mirror's Edge (Catalyst)

the new Mass Effect (Andromeda)

the new Dragon Age (Inquisition)

and we already have

Battlefield 4

Battlefield Hardline

Star Wars: Battlefront (that looks awesome)

so... the question is...

- - - - 

Mass Effect jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

Mirror's Edge jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

and... "Batman Arkham Knight" that is "Unreal Engine 3"

is the game that has been removed from Steam for the "bad" work on pc

for me at least "Frostbite 3" is way better Game Engine than "Unreal Engine 3" this days

I don't know if I would say it's the best engine so far because that would have to depend on what type of game you are making.  If you are making a 2D indie game, you wouldn't want to use Frostbite 3.

I do know that Frostbite 3 is well optimized and for the current triple A titles, I think they want a game that isn't broken out of the gate (cough) Batman Arkham Night, the past 3 AC game (cough).

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Depends what you mean by best. It's subjective to the developer and type of game. 

For certain things, Source is a much "better" engine than Frostbite 3

It is far from the best engine, personally I believe CryEngine is the best, both visually and technically.

However, seeing as most of the games you mentioned, if not all, are owned by EA, so no surprise there that they all switch to it.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Well, BF4 was not something to be proud of in terms of performance. All the issues BF3 had, especially on the network side, were even worse in BF4. BFHL runs better on my hardware than BF4. Plus BF4 was is full of bugs, even worse than BF3. I am not sure how much of all of that is the engine's fault ...

I can't talk about the other games since I lack any experience with them.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I've always loved Frosbite, in my opinion it's the best.

But it really depends on your use case.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I wouldn't call it the best engine, its just EAs engine. IIRC it became a focus to reduce the overhead of developing many engines when they could just build on one engine for many uses. You can list many more games that use CryEngine and Unreal Engine among others.

i see many companies switching from their old engine to Frostbite 3 on their new games

and we already have

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline

so... the question is...

Frostbite 3 is made by EA

Mirror's Edge is published by EA

Mass Effect is published by EA

Dragon Age is published by EA

Battlefield is published by EA

Star Wars: Battlefront (since reboot) is published by EA

They use it cause it's EA's. That's why Valve uses Source Engine. It's just theirs.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Well, BF4 was not something to be proud of in terms of performance. All the issues BF3 had, especially on the network side, were even worse in BF4. BFHL runs better on my hardware than BF4. Plus BF4 was is full of bugs, even worse than BF3. I am not sure how much of all of that is the engine's fault ...

I can't talk about the other games since I lack any experience with them.

Except that's not really the case anymore, if anything bf4 can be better than CS:GO, it just doesn't have the servers it has support for 120Hz tick rates and the latency on the 60Hz tick rate servers are about the same as the CS:GO's if not better in some cases. It's doing quite a lot more than CS:GO as well. The biggest problem with feeling cheated with battlefield was collection of damage behind cover as on your side you would receive all the damage the other player gave in a single update, making it feel like you died unfairly, when really you didn't. Dice LA have done a lot of work with the CTE and that's been brought over slowly to the main game through the summer and spring patches that came out as the names would imply summer and spring. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Unreal Engine 4 is far better-Frostbite 3 just has less of a performance hit.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Except that's not really the case anymore, if anything bf4 can be better than CS:GO, it just doesn't have the servers it has support for 120Hz tick rates and the latency on the 60Hz tick rate servers are about the same as the CS:GO's if not better in some cases. It's doing quite a lot more than CS:GO as well. The biggest problem with feeling cheated with battlefield was collection of damage behind cover as on your side you would receive all the damage the other player gave in a single update, making it feel like you died unfairly, when really you didn't. Dice LA have done a lot of work with the CTE and that's been brought over slowly to the main game through the summer and spring patches that came out as the names would imply summer and spring. 

What are you talking about ... CS:GO has lots of 128 tick servers , and iirc the pro scene matches are held on 256 tick servers..

And i played lots of BF4 and i got so frustrated i moved to csgo and then bf4 felt like i always had bricks taped to me ...

Source is much better at this level of precision.

and we already have

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline

so... the question is...

Last I checked you couldn't access Frostbite 3. Personally I prefer Unreal Engine 4 but all engine have their flaws.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

and we already have

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline

so... the question is...

It's like saying .

" Source engine is going everywhere just look how many games have it :

-HL2

-TF2

-Portal

-Portal 2

-CSS

-CS:GO

-DOTA 2"

All the games you selected are either made by DICE ( EA ) or helped by DICE ( EA ) or are published by EA .

What are you talking about ... CS:GO has lots of 128 tick servers , and iirc the pro scene matches are held on 256 tick servers..

And i played lots of BF4 and i got so frustrated i moved to csgo and then bf4 felt like i always had bricks taped to me ...

What I'm saying is that It's a lot better than it was, its got to a point where it's bearly even noticeable, if at all ,even to people with insane reaction times. There is a lot more going on in battlefield, buildings breaking, jets, jeeps, helicopters, bullet drop(I'm pretty sure that CS:GO doesn't have that), lots of explosions, 64 players in a server. It's inherently going to be worse than something that is usually 5v5 with a lot less going on in the server at the same time. Maybe saying can be better was a little silly.... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

What I'm saying is that It's a lot better than it was, its got to a point where it's bearly even noticeable, if at all ,even to people with insane reaction times. There is a lot more going on in battlefield, buildings breaking, jets, jeeps, helicopters, bullet drop(I'm pretty sure that CS:GO doesn't have that), lots of explosions, 64 players in a server. It's inherently going to be worse than something that is usually 5v5 with a lot less going on in the server at the same time. Maybe saying can be better was a little silly.... 

Yeah , i guess it went from shit , to polished shit , to decent enough. I might give the next battlefield a try if the gameplay is decent enough ... ( unlike hardline ) I stopped when polished shit wasn't enough for me..

It is far from the best engine, personally I believe CryEngine is the best, both visually and technically.

However, seeing as most of the games you mentioned, if not all, are owned by EA, so no surprise there that they all switch to it.

CryEngine is terribly optimized, it's the worst Engine.

Unreal Engine 4 is far better-Frostbite 3 just has less of a performance hit.

well...

Mass Effect jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

Mirror's Edge jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

and... "Batman Arkham Knight" (that is Unreal Engine 3)

so... i disagree on that 

"Frostbite 3" is way better than Unreal Engine this days (for me at least)

CryEngine is terribly optimized, it's the worst Engine.

It does need good hardware to run but it does produce some of the best looking games out there. Star Citizen, Crysis 1, 2, 3, various MMOs which use now too, ect..

And it does run well on reasonable systems, at around £600 range. You can't expect to play an amazingly looking game with 5 year old harware..

well...

Mass Effect jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

Mirror's Edge jump from the "Unreal Engine" line to "Frostbite 3"

and... "Batman Arkham Knight" (that is Unreal Engine 3)

so... i disagree on that 

"Frostbite 3" is way better than Unreal Engine this days (for me at least)

That's Unreal Engine 3 to EA's Frostbite 3. Not Unreal Engine 4.

PMSL

there is no games that use Unreal Engine 4

what are you comparing ?  :lol:

There are but only a few out at the moment, and not huge titles.

Source: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games

Look, Frostbite 3 isn't the best engine so far-plain and simple.

PMSL

Also it's not the engine's fault .

You don't blame the car because the driver is shit..

CryEngine is hopelessly optimized too...

i mean, a decade after its first launch, we still ask "can it run crysis"....