is "Frostbite 3" the best game engine so far ?

Go to solution Solved by Bangflop,

I don't know if I would say it's the best engine so far because that would have to depend on what type of game you are making.  If you are making a 2D indie game, you wouldn't want to use Frostbite 3.

I do know that Frostbite 3 is well optimized and for the current triple A titles, I think they want a game that isn't broken out of the gate (cough) Batman Arkham Night, the past 3 AC game (cough).

That's Unreal Engine 3 to EA's Frostbite 3. Not Unreal Engine 4.

Unreal Engine is good, but it too suffers from optimization issues in and of itself...

Unreal is atleast possible to buy licenses for so you can make your own game without having to spend millions.

Also it's not the engine's fault .

You don't blame the car because the driver is shit..

ok... who we blame for "Batman Arkham Knight" ?

Unreal Engine is good, but it too suffers from optimization issues in and of itself...

Unreal is atleast possible to buy licenses for so you can make your own game without having to spend millions.

All game engines have the same base issues.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

ok... who we blame for "Batman Arkham Knight" ?

WB for giving the port to a studio who only had experience with console games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

CryEngine is hopelessly optimized too...

i mean, a decade after its first launch, we still ask "can it run crysis"....

I was more talking about the latest CryEngine, and we do ask it because Crysis 3 is incredibly good looking :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Except that's not really the case anymore, if anything bf4 can be better than CS:GO, it just doesn't have the servers it has support for 120Hz tick rates and the latency on the 60Hz tick rate servers are about the same as the CS:GO's if not better in some cases. It's doing quite a lot more than CS:GO as well. The biggest problem with feeling cheated with battlefield was collection of damage behind cover as on your side you would receive all the damage the other player gave in a single update, making it feel like you died unfairly, when really you didn't. Dice LA have done a lot of work with the CTE and that's been brought over slowly to the main game through the summer and spring patches that came out as the names would imply summer and spring.

What is tick rates?

And does the hrz have anything to do with monitor hrz?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Except that's not really the case anymore, if anything bf4 can be better than CS:GO, it just doesn't have the servers it has support for 120Hz tick rates and the latency on the 60Hz tick rate servers are about the same as the CS:GO's if not better in some cases. It's doing quite a lot more than CS:GO as well. The biggest problem with feeling cheated with battlefield was collection of damage behind cover as on your side you would receive all the damage the other player gave in a single update, making it feel like you died unfairly, when really you didn't. Dice LA have done a lot of work with the CTE and that's been brought over slowly to the main game through the summer and spring patches that came out as the names would imply summer and spring. 

I think I gave the game enough chance. I looked at the development proces from the outside and predicted it to be shit, at least at the beginning; the situation with BF3 at the time could give you a good basis for that estimation, and openly refused to pre-order the game when my friends did.

When the beta came out, it didn't run properly, with low framerates, sound glitches, all the lag and especially the stupidly low trickrate, also, during the start screen, the music would stop and start over again, which may not seem important, but I'll get to that again in a second.

I was really glad that I had not bought the game. It was shit. But I did not stop giving it a chance. After the release, during one of those "play-for-free-weekend"-events, I installed the game again and tried it. It had improved, but too little and was still far from a state that I would call "finished" or even close to "ready to be released". All the annoying crpa was still there, also the balance was still completely off and that load music bug I mentioned before was of course still there, which meant that DICE had not been able to get at least basic crap fixed. I threw the game from my hard drive, still proud about my not-buying decision.

Then came one more of those aforementioned events. I wanted to give it another chance, after all, I had 1k hours in BF3, right? One has to be a bit loyal, or at least try to. I started it up, came to the loading screen, the music apruptly stopped and restarted. I instantly went to kill the process and threw the game out of the beloved thing that is my PC. This game was a piece of shit. Almost a year after release. I take massive pride in not buying it.

Now to that special thing you mentioned: The hit registration. I don't know about you, but I think it is a basic shooter game rule: If you are behind impenetrable cover, an enemy can not hit or kill you. BF3 never managed to really achieve that, and BF4 certainly does not. The frostbite engine gives an unfair advantage to players with weak internet connections, influencing the game's result way too much. That's also the main reason why BF4 is not played competitively in a noteworthy extent. You know about CS:GO in this regard, don't you ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I was more talking about the latest CryEngine, and we do ask it because Crysis 3 is incredibly good looking :)

visual fidelity is mostly about quality of textures and shaders.

but even if you lack of volumetric fog, light and ambient occulsion you can still make the game look good, aslong as other visual effects are done right.

Guildwars 2 is an example of that. Yes they added Ambient Occulsion, 2.5 years after release.

Yes they did add other functions later on and or enable them.

however the base game looked good (for an MMO), despite having lower resolution textures.

Visual fidelity is only a small part of an engine. The real brunt behind a good engine is AI, physics and hardware utilization. Visuals can be achieved outside the engine

What is tick rates?

tick rates:

basically for you to be able to play on 144Hz, aka 144 updates pr second, the servers themselves need to refresh fast enough for damage, events (explosions, bomb fuse/defuse) and other things. If not, you would run around alot, then suddenly die instantly as you would get massive damage instantly due to server collecting and sending only 30 or 60 updates a second, while you (atleast visually) play at 144 updates per second.

I'm currently enjoying Ark: Survival Evolved on the Unreal 4 Engine, but looking at OP i couldn't help but notice that all those games listed are from the same umbrella company, EA (electronic arts). EA made an announcement a couple years ago that all AAA titles developed by all of EA's studios would be using Dice's Frostbite Engine, with the exception of sports and casual games i believe. I'm not personally aware of any games using the Frostbite Engine outside of EA's grasp, but I could be wrong. Technically speaking, Frostbite 3 is probably the most advanced game engine out there as we speak.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Its a good engine, there is no such thing as a best engine.

but it looks good, runs on all platforms and runs well, so ya  its solid

id give credit to the Fox engine though too as being very robust and it does a good job at what it does.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Are the frostbite tools available to anybody outside EA? If not it's difficult to make an independent comparison to other engines. But I understand the point being made. The games that have so far come out using frostbite have been industry leading in terms of graphical optimization. Battlefront runs like a dream for how good it looks.

source is still the best and will always be the best

Well valve have source2 now because they themselves consider source1 to be outdated

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385966-valve-begins-shifting-dota-2-into-the-source-2-engine/

When they release the full SDK we can get a better idea of Source2

What is tick rates?

Tick rate is how many times the server synchronizes with the client in a second. Thats position of the player, shots, damage etc.

A 144hz monitor still is worth it and gives you an advantage even on 64tick servers because the tick rate is not synchronized with the monitor refresh rate

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Bigworld is teh best. Maybe fisics next jier. (I play WoT with the lowest possible graphics and BF4 with the highest possible and overscaling a bit. Still, BF wins.)

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.