Is AMD really that hot?

Arwanell

why are all people saying that AMD cards are hot?

i just switched from GTX 970 to R9 390 few days ago, and i have to say...

after 2-3 hours of heavy gaming, i touched this thingy on both of the cards: 

bfg_gts250_dvi.jpg

when i touched the 970, i almost burned my fingers.

but when i touched the 390, guess what? Ice cold (not literally) but yes, not even hot

my cards:

100b.jpg

15081652118l.jpg

That's very unusual, I've never heard of that.

My 390 runs at 40 degrees idle (passive cooling) and never goes above 60 when gaming.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Depends on the TDP of a card and what style cooler it has. The reference 290X is extremely hot, but one with an aftermarket cooler is just fine.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Reference cards usually run hotter. The picture is a 980, not 970.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

You have to consider the fact that you are  using a blower style card for the 970 and an aftermarket cooler on the 390. The 970 will primarily exhaust out the back and the 390 will exhaust out the sides into your case.

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

AMD and Nvidia have both had cards that run hot.

The 970 you have is blower style, while the 390 is open. Hot air is moved out of the back of the card on the 970, while it is not on the 390, hence why it is hot on the 970. It has nothing to do with the temps of each chip. 

Because the 970 blew out all the exhaust heat out the i/o shield due to the cooler.

^this guy is correct

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

AMD cards are thought to be hot because of their horribly incompetent reference coolers. Their CPUs certainly produce way more heat than similar Intel parts, but that owes to large manufacturing processes.

Reference cards usually run hotter. The picture is a 980, not 970.

just noticed, it's the same card anyway

Cooler styles, but even then.. AMD now a days with heat is fine.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I

why are all people saying that AMD cards are hot?

i just switched from GTX 970 to R9 390 few days ago, and i have to say...

after 2-3 hours of heavy gaming, i touched this thingy on both of the cards: 

bfg_gts250_dvi.jpg

but when i touched the 390, guess what? Ice cold (not literally) but yes, not even hot

my cards:

100b.jpg

15081652118l.jpg

Look at the types of cooler, the 970 is a blower style so all hot air out the back!

the 390 is open so heat removed by case fans as exhausts into case.

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

I

Look at the types of cooler, the 970 is a blower style so all hot air out the back!

the 390 is open so heat removed by case fans as exhausts into case.

Because the 970 blew out all the exhaust heat out the i/o shield due to the cooler.

Good point, but surely it shouldn't "nearly burn" his hands?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

AMD and Nvidia have both had cards that run hot.

The 970 you have is blower style, while the 390 is open. Hot air is moved out of the back of the card on the 970, while it is not on the 390, hence why it is hot on the 970. It has nothing to do with the temps of each chip. 

oh, so that's why

Good point, but surely it shouldn't "nearly burn" his hands?

well i was overreacting, but if i held finger on it for 5 seconds, it really started to hurt :)

well i was overreacting, but if i held finger on it for 5 seconds, it really started to hurt :)

That would explain a lot. Yeah, that part of the card is far hotter with a blower style card.

Wow,so a cooler that exhausts all the air outside of the case through the io shield was hot? How in the world man? 

different coolers perform differently

put the same cooler on a 970 and 390 and run them at the same fan speed, then you will clearly see the 390 is WAY hotter

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i used to use my A10-6800k and reference 5850 to heat my room in the winter time  

If I’m not back in five minutes, just wait longer.

You do realize that the "AMD RUNS HOT" thing started because people were talking about TDP, yes?  And that people that don't know anything, took that as, "oh, the temps they run are hotter".  When, that's not always the case.  The TDP is the measurement of heat watts of energy.  The higher the TDP, the more heat watts of energy the GPU core is going to produce.  Now, depending on the cooling solution, that could make the temperatures vary greatly from one GPU to the next.  A GPU with a 200 watt TDP and an average cooling solution will run hotter than a GPU with a 300 watt TDP with a great cooling solution.

As a general rule of thumb?  AMD's have a higher TDP than their Intel / NVIDIA counterparts.  Thus, "they run hotter", because they are producing more "heat watts of energy".

There it is.  Happy Birthday.  lol

Fairly obvious that nobody wants to hear that, though....  /smh

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

You have a GTX 970 refrence card with 1 fan and Sapphire R9 390 with 3 fans. Also, the 970 is blowing the hot air out of the IO shield where I guess you touched, and the R9 get the hot air out into your case.

It's more of a stereotype/reputation than anything else really. 

Although it *is* true that the best Intel and nVidia have to offer can do the same job better with less drama, usually. But you'll pay more.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.