Upgrade from pirated Windows 7/8 to Windows 8 Pro.

AvoK95
Go to solution Solved by AvoK95,

Would you guys please stick to the topic!?

Windows 7 is not better than Windows 8, Windows 7 is just mainstream now and everyone is used to it. Windows 8 came along with the exact same OS as Windows 7, but it's lighter, cheaper, and just doesn't have a start menu. Saying Windows 8 is rubbish is the stupidest thing to say ever. It's the exact same OS for crying out loud! 

Windows 8 is going to last longer than Windows 7, and will have 0.x updates like Mac OS does, so basically you're going to have the longest lasting Windows yet, Windows 8 is just slightly different. The same issue occurred when Windows XP got released with the new start menu, and here we are 12 years later people ranting about change again, where they'll eventually get used to it. 

After using almost 6 months with Windows 8, I tried to use Windows 7 on my second rig, and it feels slow, old, and not enhanced as Windows 8.

As for UNIX, whoever said that Windows is better because it's popular can go jump in the ocean. Not too long ago, the iPhone was considered to be the only good smartphone out there, while Android did exist and was superior, but just not popular enough, and yet here we are where Androids are selling above iPhones. Android is UNIX/LINUX based, and all 3 are free. Most servers run UNIX and almost everything is Linux based, Your phone, Windows/Mac computer, game console, and lots of other things. They're all based on C#

I chose Ubuntu over Windows 7 Starter on my netbook, and never looked back. I tried going Window 7 again, and I suddenly missed Linux customization, less of a system resource hog, and the fact that it's F-R-E-E, which is at least $90 cheaper.

Everyone has their own point of view in something, if you're here to discuss my and your point of views, then please don't bother posting at all. It's useless, and starts flame-wars. 

/discussion

Now back to my topic.

Do a clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade and perform this registry edit:  http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

Install first and once you reach the desktop, the Activation Wizard will tell you that the key you are using is not for clean installs.

This answered it, and is just as good. Thank you :) 

I've always used pirated Windows because genuine copies were simply not available in my country (Thanks for that Lebanon)

A full Windows disk costs $200 for Windows 7 Home Basic, an upgrade key for Windows 8 costs $60, and I probably can get it for cheaper by buying it online. I want to know if I can use that key on my current pirated OS (Windows 8 Core) and upgrade to a genuine copy of Windows 8 Pro. Or do a full clean install if it's at all possible.

I thought I've spent thousands of dollars on my rigs, I might as well spare a dime or two on Windows which I would buy every decade or so..

I am not sure, but i think that it would check the previous windows code to make sure it was a legal copy. I would just buy the full version if i was you.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I wouldn't upgrade in the first place. Windows 8 is terrible, totally.

I'm sitting on Windows 7 myself.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I wouldn't upgrade in the first place. Windows 8 is terrible, totally.

I'm sitting on Windows 7 myself.

It's literally W7 but faster? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

It's literally W7 but faster? 

Nope.avi

Millions of problems with it, has been banned by HWMonitor and stuff, well just google it i dont really feel like repeating what has been said thousands of times. WIndows 8 is a big flop next time i reinstall system i'd rather get a linux on my PC's second HDD or something than Windows 8. 

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Nope.avi

Millions of problems with it, has been banned by HWMonitor and stuff, well just google it i dont really feel like repeating what has been said thousands of times. WIndows 8 is a big flop next time i reinstall system i'd rather get a linux on my PC's second HDD or something than Windows 8. 

There are millions of problem with W7 as well. I still think W8 is probably the best Windows you can get

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

There are millions of problem with W7 as well. I still think W8 is probably the best Windows you can get

It's the worst Windows you can get.

Windows 8 is just a step towards total control of the client and i refuse to join this Titanic ship.

I'm staying with Windows 7 until linux gets game dev attention.

There are only problems with Win 8, it's banished from overclocking for -faking- your processor's clocks... wtf micro$hit you doing?

It's shitty UI, it's trying to hide all the options from you, it's a system for nobody.

It's the worst Windows you can get.

Windows 8 is just a step towards total control of the client and i refuse to join this Titanic ship.

There are only problems with Win 8, it's banished from overclocking for -faking- your processor's clocks... wtf micro$hit you doing?

It's shitty UI, it's trying to hide all the options from you, it's a system for nobody.

Faking clockspeeds? Do you even know what this forum is about? Any comuter knowledge at all? Personally I use win7 but the only bad thing about win8 is the UI. Seriously faking clock speeds? You made my day!!!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

Switch now and show your support for Linux. There's plenty of games already on it.

To OP: it may may let you upgrade the proper way. You could just reinstall it and let the installer save the old install under windows.old, then recover anything you need post-install.

E: http://superuser.com/questions/495275/upgrade-to-genuine-windows-8-pro-from-non-genuine-windows-7

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Faking clockspeeds? Do you even know what this forum is about? Any comuter knowledge at all? Personally I use win7 but the only bad thing about win8 is the UI. Seriously faking clock speeds? You made my day!!!

http://hwbot.org/news/9824_breaking_windows_8_benchmark_results_no_longer_accepted_at_hwbot

Windows 8 has a problem where if you down clock or overclock a CPU it changes something to do with the timing in benchmarks. Basically you get higher results if you down clock and lower scores if you overclock (or the other way around). It only effects benchmarks I think but I don't really know, just the stuff I can remember from reading an article on it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That is why you shouldnt trust the benchmarks. this is a problem of the software specifically the "windows 8 real-time clock (RTC)". Use real world scenarios like games. in windows 8 the cpu is actually oc'd but the software slows down to make it appear that the hardware runed even faster.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

There are millions of problems with Windows in general. Win8 is still crap.

Windows 8 is not crap. Its' again.. something visual has changed, and people freak out like no tomorrow.

Remember when people freaked out on Windows 7 Task Bar? Vista "new" Start Menu? XP theme? and so on.

There is a learning curve in Windows 8 that is a bit more steep than usual, that is why you have this debacle. People look at screen shots, and complain.  USE IT, LEARN IT, then talk... if you did this, you wont' have "It sucks", but rather a better explanation of the issues.

I recall perfectly people calling Windows 7 task bar a replica of MacOS X task bar, and how shitty it is because of that, when the last thing it is is that. When people learned how to use the Windows 7 task bar, (3 years later), now it's the best OS since slice bread.... much like XP, and Vista (if you had the hardware to run it).

Some people end up not liking Windows 8 Start Screen. That's fine. Some of those people like it again, when they tried Windows 8.1, due to the improvement, polishing, and balancing of the UI with desktop and laptop computers (something I am sure that Microsoft will continue to work on, in Windows 8.2, and so on). Others, still no. That's fine. Because they explain in detail what they don't like about it. It's not the end of the world, because you can install third party Start Menu alternative, and that is what they use, until the Start Screen  gets further improved to their liking.

Dravic is wrong on everything he said. He is not informed.

By the way:

A better deal for you, is to get Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro OEM (aka: System Builder).

If you agree to the Personal Usage license agreement found here: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=uKyOGah5dQU

It will upgrade your license to personal usage, and you can transfer your license of Windows between computers. As long as it runs on 1 computer at the same time (you won't be able to sale it, however).

Windows 8 is not crap. Its' again.. something visual has changed, and people freak out like no tomorrow.

Remember when people freaked out on Windows 7 Task Bar? Vista "new" Start Menu? XP theme? and so on.

There is a learning curve in Windows 8 that is a bit more steep than usual, that is why you have this debacle. People look at screen shots, and complain.  USE IT, LEARN IT, then talk... if you did this, you wont' have "It sucks", but rather a better explanation of the issues.

I recall perfectly people calling Windows 7 task bar a replica of MacOS X task bar, and how shitty it is because of that, when the last thing it is is that. When people learned how to use the Windows 7 task bar, (3 years later), now it's the best OS since slice bread.... much like XP, and Vista (if you had the hardware to run it).

Some people end up not liking Windows 8 Start Screen. That's fine. Some of those people like it again, when they tried Windows 8.1, due to the improvement, polishing, and balancing of the UI with desktop and laptop computers (something I am sure that Microsoft will continue to work on, in Windows 8.2, and so on). Others, still no. That's fine. Because they explain in detail what they don't like about it. It's not the end of the world, because you can install third party Start Menu alternative, and that is what they use, until the Start Screen  gets further improved to their liking.

Dravic is wrong on everything he said. He is not informed.

By the way:

A better deal for you, is to get Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro OEM (aka: System Builder).

If you agree to the Personal Usage license agreement found here: http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=uKyOGah5dQU

It will upgrade your license to personal usage, and you can transfer your license of Windows between computers. As long as it runs on 1 computer at the same time (you won't be able to sale it, however).

Talking only about the UI of an OS to determine its quality is extremely facetious, as every UI's carry its respective learning curve and it's such a small fraction of an OS.

The performance and the security of the Windows NT kernel is quite inferior to UNIX and if it weren't for the games, I would never touch Windows.

I suggest everyone to try out Ubuntu Linux. It's free(legally), unlike Windows.

UNIX fan that knows nothing about windows, and assume that Windows is still based on Windows 95, should not talk.

UNIX fan that knows nothing about windows, and assume that Windows is still based on Windows 95, should not talk.

Yes, NT improved on many elements of 9x, that is true. However, the design philosophy that NT has embraced, just like the 9x, makes it inferior to UNIX in terms of security and performance.

Are you also willing to argue that Direct3D is better than OpenGL?

If Unix was better, more people would use it.

You fail at starting a flame war.

End of conversation.

If Unix was better, more people would use it.

You fail at starting a flame war.

End of conversation.

Have you taken a look at mobile OS market share recently? Also, you have to be crazy to use Windows for a server OS.

Just because Windows is widely used doesn't mean it's better than Unix.

Were are you seeing we are talking about mobile phones, or servers in this conversation?

Would you guys please stick to the topic!?

Windows 7 is not better than Windows 8, Windows 7 is just mainstream now and everyone is used to it. Windows 8 came along with the exact same OS as Windows 7, but it's lighter, cheaper, and just doesn't have a start menu. Saying Windows 8 is rubbish is the stupidest thing to say ever. It's the exact same OS for crying out loud! 

Windows 8 is going to last longer than Windows 7, and will have 0.x updates like Mac OS does, so basically you're going to have the longest lasting Windows yet, Windows 8 is just slightly different. The same issue occurred when Windows XP got released with the new start menu, and here we are 12 years later people ranting about change again, where they'll eventually get used to it. 

After using almost 6 months with Windows 8, I tried to use Windows 7 on my second rig, and it feels slow, old, and not enhanced as Windows 8.

As for UNIX, whoever said that Windows is better because it's popular can go jump in the ocean. Not too long ago, the iPhone was considered to be the only good smartphone out there, while Android did exist and was superior, but just not popular enough, and yet here we are where Androids are selling above iPhones. Android is UNIX/LINUX based, and all 3 are free. Most servers run UNIX and almost everything is Linux based, Your phone, Windows/Mac computer, game console, and lots of other things. They're all based on C#

I chose Ubuntu over Windows 7 Starter on my netbook, and never looked back. I tried going Window 7 again, and I suddenly missed Linux customization, less of a system resource hog, and the fact that it's F-R-E-E, which is at least $90 cheaper.

Everyone has their own point of view in something, if you're here to discuss my and your point of views, then please don't bother posting at all. It's useless, and starts flame-wars. 

/discussion

Now back to my topic.

Do a clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade and perform this registry edit:  http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

Install first and once you reach the desktop, the Activation Wizard will tell you that the key you are using is not for clean installs.

This answered it, and is just as good. Thank you :) 

Computron suggestion goes against Window license agreement and cost more than my suggestion which is to buy the OEM version and agree to the Personal Usage license agreement, which turns your license of Windows 8 OEM, as a full retail one. Windows 8 Upgrade REQUIRES a legit ACTIVATED copy of Windows 7 or prior. Then the day Microsoft will change that and make sure that your previous version of Windows is activated and genuine, you'll bitch and moan on how Microsoft is evil, when they simply they are stopping abuses.

P.S: They're all based on C/C++ not C#. Android got popular because it was inexpensive and did a better job than iPhone.

xWindows powered Linux based OS can't even get the font to render properly. Linux/Unix based OS require constantly the command line, unless you use Ubuntu, which is HATED like Windows Me style by the Linux community, as for making Ubuntu good, it had to modify Linux kernel, and do thing their own way. A way that actually makes sense.  Unix/Linux has it's place... Windows too. The topic of conversation here is DESKTOP PC. And the reason why Windows is popular, is because it has a long list of features that people and businesses like, and are willing to pay the price for it. Simple as that. I tried a variety of Linux distribution, and to me, everything looked like a mess, 0 polish, where people don't have a clear path, tries to make everyone happy, assumes the lowest denominator even though not common, development of the OS is at snail paste. You are buried with options in many Linux based programs that doesn't make any sense, again to please everyone, while it looks cool, the simplest thing you want to adjust, turns out to be a project, making people steer away from Linux based OS. It should be like what Google does with it's Android but it's not. Package system is not secure, someone can upload a version of the software with code to attack, and everyone that gets the update will be screwed. There is no validation system, no signature system, not even any checksum system for checking against injections during transfer. Like with LibreOffice and OpenOffice, in most areas it players catchup instead of being leaders. It makes me feel that people don't really care. The multiple distribution of Linux, and customized kernel of Linux, makes helping someone over the internet hell, as command line changes between distribution, and also file/folder in some area, is different. it kinda forces you to stay with the forum community of the selected OS. Lastly, among many other things, just trying to keep this short, the community outside of Ubuntu and select few Linux distros, are very snobbish. They like to keep Linux like some sort of clan.