Budget Gaming PC Help

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

The Integra M series (450w, specifically) looks like a good PSU for the price. You mentioned in your list that it should not be put into high end systems. As I upgrade my computer, what would be the point where I should switch out the PSU? I know I have a budget build, but I have heard people refer to even some FX CPUs as "high end." If I want to upgrade in the future, is the Integra M series a smart choice or a bad one?

I wouldn't put anything above a 380 on AMD's side or a GTX 970 in there on Nvidias side :)

What I want to do with this PC:

I would like to play AAA games and indie games at a decent 40-60 FPS and higher at medium to ultra settings, as well as run well for other programs I will use (like rendering video).

Price Range: $500-$600, around $650 max.

Rationale so far:

Upgradeability is very important for me in this build. I chose the Intel Core i5-4790k so I can overclock in the future (not yet), and upgrade the CPU as well. I also would like to run SLI in the future. I would like to keep the motherboard a standard ATX size. I know I only need 250GB of storage; I have external drives as well already.

What I need help with:

My major concerns with this build is the upgrade path and cost efficiency, without being too slow. That being said, is my CPU a good choice for what I want to do and for upgradeability? Is the PSU good, or can I get one cheaper? Is the case good (build quality, room for cable management, personal experiences)?

Part list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HKcrkL

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k

GPU: MSI GTX 950 (GTX 950 2GD5T OC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair CX 430W (semi-modular)

Case: Corsair 100R (with window)

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

If this build is mainly for gaming, that CPU is a bit overkill. Id recommend an unlocked i5 series with that Z97 if you wanted to delve into overclocking a little.

You said youd be doing video rendering, if you think youll be doing a LOT of that, then sure go with the i7. But if you want better gaming performance, downgrade the CPU to an i5, and go with a better Graphics card. Also id recommend a better power supply, the CX series has a bit of a bad name to them. Probably just a standard EVGA 500W would be fine.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Get a H97 board and a i5 4430 or 4440 or 4460

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Spend less on the CPU,  spend more on the GPU. Change the PSU to something with at least 550w, and make it a decent one (EVGA 650 G2 or GS are great.)

Don't SLI 950s, that's silly. 

Don't SLI in general unless it's top end cards, in most all cases buying a single, better GPU is the way to go. 

Again, the cpu is overkill, and GPU is not good. 

I used to be quite active here.

go with i5 4460 and a h97 board such as asrock fatal1ty or anniversary

Cpu is overkill.. :mellow: use better gaming,all category in cpu i5 4460..

What I want to do with this PC:

I would like to play AAA games and indie games at a decent 40-60 FPS and higher at medium to ultra settings, as well as run well for other programs I will use (like rendering video).

Price Range: $500-$600, around $650 max.

Rationale so far:

Upgradeability is very important for me in this build. I chose the Intel Core i5-4790k so I can overclock in the future (not yet), and upgrade the CPU as well. I also would like to run SLI in the future. I would like to keep the motherboard a standard ATX size. I know I only need 250GB of storage; I have external drives as well already.

What I need help with:

My major concerns with this build is the upgrade path and cost efficiency, without being too slow. That being said, is my CPU a good choice for what I want to do and for upgradeability? Is the PSU good, or can I get one cheaper? Is the case good (build quality, room for cable management, personal experiences)?

Part list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HKcrkL

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k

GPU: MSI GTX 950 (GTX 950 2GD5T OC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair CX 430W (semi-modular)

Case: Corsair 100R (with window)

Please follow your topic.

Also don't go with the impression that CPU must equal GPU's cost. The gpu should be ~40% of your budget if it is used for gaming

Spend less on the CPU, spend more on the GPU. Change the PSU to something with at least 550w, and make it a decent one (EVGA 650 G2 or GS are great.)

Don't SLI 950s, that's silly.

Don't SLI in general unless it's top end cards, in most all cases buying a single, better GPU is the way to go.

Again, the cpu is overkill, and GPU is not good.

What do you suggest is a good GPU?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

If this build is mainly for gaming, that CPU is a bit overkill. Id recommend an unlocked i5 series with that Z97 if you wanted to delve into overclocking a little.

You said youd be doing video rendering, if you think youll be doing a LOT of that, then sure go with the i7. But if you want better gaming performance, downgrade the CPU to an i5, and go with a better Graphics card. Also id recommend a better power supply, the CX series has a bit of a bad name to them. Probably just a standard EVGA 500W would be fine.

I've heard elsewhere on this forum that the EVGA PSUs aren't good. Do you recommend another brand? I've been thinking about using the Integra M series from Fractal Design.

I've heard elsewhere on this forum that the EVGA PSUs aren't good. Do you recommend another brand? I've been thinking about using the Integra M series from Fractal Design.

EVGA make amazing PSU's whoever told you that was misinformed.

@STRMfrmXMN might be able to help you out with PSU choices though.

What do you suggest is a good GPU?

If you want more of a budget orientated GPU, possibly an AMD R9 370. 

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig. Many EVGA PSUs are excellent. The B2 or GS are most likely to be on your price range. See if anything from XFX is available to you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

best setup in your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($172.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT WH ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $621.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 21:09 EST-0500

The site has changed....

Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig. Many EVGA PSUs are excellent. The B2 or GS are most likely to be on your price range. See if anything from XFX is available to you.

The Integra M series (450w, specifically) looks like a good PSU for the price. You mentioned in your list that it should not be put into high end systems. As I upgrade my computer, what would be the point where I should switch out the PSU? I know I have a budget build, but I have heard people refer to even some FX CPUs as "high end." If I want to upgrade in the future, is the Integra M series a smart choice or a bad one?

The PSU is (in my opinion) the most important part of any system build. Skimping out on this crucial part is not the greatest idea.

With your budget, you're going to struggle with 'upgradeability', unless you spend money in areas you wouldn't spend otherwise. This will draw the pool of money away from your performance critical components. Obviously creating a slower performing system. But the way I see it, I'd rather have a shit house on good foundations rather than vice versa. 

Components such as the case and PSU (specifically this) become more important.

For PSUs, always read reviews on sites like JonnyGuru and/or HardOCP. If it hasn't been reviewed, don't touch it.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I wouldn't put anything above a 380 on AMD's side or a GTX 970 in there on Nvidias side :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||