Performance issue in Skyrim

Go to solution Solved by ashtaroth,

Youre not the only one mate! But then again I have one of the K enbs on quality present plus a crap ton of mods. Get about 40-45 in whiterun and about the same in riverwood, 65-85 open world depends on the action, 95-110 indoors, maxed out at 1440p. When on 3d vision shit hits the fan at 30 fps open world. 55-65 indoors.

Skyrim is a cpu intensive game. I think gpu as well? When i OCed my 4820k i had more or less 9 fps boost xD I think it helps the gpu a bit better.

Hi, guys!

I'm a newbie to the PC master race , and I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue at all, or just the way is meant to run in my pc.

The problem is that whenever I play Skyrim, and a go to a city/town, my FPS drops from 65/80 to 40/30 all of the sudden, this only happens from a high point of view.

I'm running Vanilla at ultra with FXAA x4 @1080p 

My specs:

• FX6300 @stock
  • AMD R9 280 Direct CU II @stock
  • 8GB Ram Hyperx @1600
  • Windows 10 

running from an HDD seagate barracuda 1TB

Is this an issue or just my PC letting me down?

CPU: AMD FX6300@Stock - Motherboard: Gigabyte 780-ML-USB3 - RAM: 8GB Hyperx beast @1600 - GPU: Asus R9 280 Direct CU II@Stock - SSD Kingstone 240GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: EVGA 600B - Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate- Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma- OS: Windows 10 Pro

happens to me too

I drop from, like 30/45 to like <25 when I walk into riverwood

except mods

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It's just a thing that happens. I'm guessing it's because the higher vantage points puts more models into view, forcing the game to render them all. I blame the rest on the laziness of the port.

That CPU Is weaksauce for Skyrim TBH.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

That CPU Is weaksauce for Skyrim TBH.

I regret so much not saving for an i5 3570 last year when I bought my PC... I didn't know the FX6300 would be that "Bad" :/

CPU: AMD FX6300@Stock - Motherboard: Gigabyte 780-ML-USB3 - RAM: 8GB Hyperx beast @1600 - GPU: Asus R9 280 Direct CU II@Stock - SSD Kingstone 240GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: EVGA 600B - Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate- Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma- OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's because skyrim PC port was coded by literal monkeys

Bethesda is always shit when it comes to PC, maybe Fallout will be different, but don't get your hopes up

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It's the cpu that causes the drops. I had that exact cpu and the same thing would happen to me in cities and other areas with many creatures/npcs. It sucks, skyrim really favors Intel cpus over AMD. But I didn't have many problems with other games with the 6300, even multiplayer games. But I would recommend moving to an i5 in the future. Definitely the best upgrade I've made.

It's because skyrim PC port was coded by literal monkeys

Bethesda is always shit when it comes to PC, maybe Fallout will be different, but don't get your hopes up

BS, it's their CPU. I have never seen anything under 60fps with 36 mods running.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yep it's the CPU, has horrible single core performance which skyrim loves. My old FX8320 did the same thing. Would drop to 40fps making it an awful experience. Switch to the i5 4690k and never drops below 60. Trust me I regretted my FX purchase also, but I just sold both the CPU and Mobo and got the i5 I couldn't be happier now.

BS, it's their CPU. I have never seen anything under 60fps with 36 mods running.

Rediculous, Skyrim is famously bad for its poor cpu optimization, that's why it is commonly used as a cpu bench since it's single Threaded.

But for actual gameplay is a stuttery mess

Is not AMDs fault that skyrim only takes advantage of IPC when other better ported games have more detail and suffer less on AMD hardware

Skyrim is an outlier of bad ports, it's not nearly representative of the cpu power difference

Skyrim

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/467/bench/CPU_2.png

Two competently ported games

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/458/bench/CPU_02.png

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/645/bench/CPU_03.png

2 competently ported open world games

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1006/bench/CPU_01.png

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/921/bench/CPU_1.png

Is that sufficient evidence to Bethesda's shittyness?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Rediculous, Skyrim is famously bad for its poor cpu optimization, that's why it is commonly used as a cpu bench since it's single Threaded.

But for actual gameplay is a stuttery mess

Is not AMDs fault that skyrim only takes advantage of IPC when other better ported games have more detail and suffer less on AMD hardware

Skyrim is an outlier of bad ports, it's not nearly representative of the cpu power difference

So it's Cinebench's fault your CPU sucks? LOL Now that's funny.

So it's Cinebench's fault your CPU sucks? LOL Now that's funny.

Who mentioned cine bench?

Is funny that your think I'm pro AMD just because I hate shitty PC ports, look at my last edit where I put actual bench marks to show just how fucking awful Bethesda is on PC

I run a 3570k at 4.4 and that piece of shit game stutters and sits at 60% gpu usage whenever you are traversing, it's not like it matters anyways, skyrim is dogshit to play even when it's running rift

Who mentioned cine bench?

Is funny that your think I'm pro AMD just because I hate shitty PC ports, look at my last edit where I put actual bench marks to show just how fucking awful Bethesda is on PC

I run a 3570k at 4.4 and that piece of shit game stutters and sits at 60% gpu usage whenever you are traversing, it's not like it matters anyways, skyrim is dogshit to play even when it's running rift

You're ether really bad at modding, or it's your CPU that's dogshit. That's why I brought up Cinebench. If you don't have the power, adjust the settings accordingly. You can't blame the developer for your computer not being up to snuff. 

You're ether really bad at modding, or it's your CPU that's dogshit. That's why I brought up Cinebench. If you don't have the power, adjust the settings accordingly. You can't blame the developer for your computer not being up to snuff.

Just as easily you shouldn't blame the manufacturer of hardware when software doesn't take advantage of 5/6th of it

Speaking of modding the other joke with Bethesda is that's the only way to make their games functional at all, nobody should be defending a company that shits all over PC and expects the users to fix the game for it.

The only mods I had were the patches and the fan made patches and the trash game is cpu bound below 60 fps

Funny you should bring up cine bench when it proves that amds 8350 should beat various Intel i5s when in fact it runs at about half speed since Bethesda can't code

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/6

Just as easily you shouldn't blame the manufacturer of hardware when software doesn't take advantage of 5/6th of it

Speaking of modding the other joke with Bethesda is that's the only way to make their games functional at all, nobody should be defending a company that shits all over PC and expects the users to fix the game for it.

The only mods I had were the patches and the fan made patches and the trash game is cpu bound below 60 fps

Funny you should bring up cine bench when it proves that amds 8350 should beat various Intel i5s when in fact it runs at about half speed since Bethesda can't code

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/6

You don't mod much, do ya? Go to the first page of Witcher 3 on the Nexus, mostly fixes. All games are like that.

No one with properly combined mods and a good CPU has any issue with Skyrim, my CPU never crosses 30% and my GPU is off some of the time and that's using one GPU, not both. So you can stomp your feet all you want, until you look at your system to find out why you have a problem, nothing will change.

You don't mod much, do ya? Go to the first page of Witcher 3 on the Nexus, mostly fixes. All games are like that.

No one with properly combined mods and a good CPU has any issue with Skyrim, my CPU never crosses 30% and my GPU is off some of the time and that's using one GPU, not both. So you can stomp your feet all you want, until you look at your system to find out why you have a problem, nothing will change.

You're completely delusional.

That's the only conclusion, in my first post I put benchmarks that point out how skyrim mishandled CPUs, relying almost entirely on single Threaded speed not taking advantage of multi Threaded architecture.

Like I'm done here, I have no reason to believe you're not just lying to protect precious Bethesda, who make worse PC ports than UbiSoft

You're completely delusional.

That's the only conclusion, in my first post I put benchmarks that point out how skyrim mishandled CPUs, relying almost entirely on single Threaded speed not taking advantage of multi Threaded architecture.

Like I'm done here, I have no reason to believe you're not just lying to protect precious Bethesda, who make worse PC ports than UbiSoft

LOL, now I know you're pulling my leg. There's a reason no one gets AMD for gaming, single core rules in gaming. At least at the moment.

I could give a shit about Bethesda, they can take care of themselves.

Meh. That's just skyrim. I suggest you go throw in an ENB and some mods since you're gonna have bad performance anyway. Might as well make it look good.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Youre not the only one mate! But then again I have one of the K enbs on quality present plus a crap ton of mods. Get about 40-45 in whiterun and about the same in riverwood, 65-85 open world depends on the action, 95-110 indoors, maxed out at 1440p. When on 3d vision shit hits the fan at 30 fps open world. 55-65 indoors.

Skyrim is a cpu intensive game. I think gpu as well? When i OCed my 4820k i had more or less 9 fps boost xD I think it helps the gpu a bit better.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

Meh. That's just skyrim. I suggest you go throw in an ENB and some mods since you're gonna have bad performance anyway. Might as well make it look good.

This is quite tempting, however... I rather have at least some playable 35 fps at white run than, inhuman sub 20 fps hehehe xD.

Someone give this man a medal! ↑↑↑↑

This is what a wanted to know all along, there wasn't any need to turn this thread into a AMD vs Intel fanboy discussion.

Thanks, mate! I didn't imagine skyrim was such a crappy port, I'm kinda sad.

You didn't listen, Skyrim is not a crappy port. It requires a strong single core processor, has nothing to do with brand other than Intel is much better at making CPU's with strong single core performance. Witcher 3 requires a strong single core as well, no one calls it a crappy port. They call it demanding...

Well thanks i guess? Anyways its not a perfect port it requires a cpu that is strong enough just like the guy above me said. Anyways i dont really get why some have to turn threads into a fan war instead of just helping out the OP. Anyways i derped, i get 50-60 fps on 3D vision depending on whats happening. Except on the previously mentioned maps.

But wheni turn enb off on the shift enter in setting. 55-60 fps almost anywhere in 3D vision. Just goes to show that enbs and sli or maybe xfire as well doesn't scale well on enb.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

This is quite tempting, however... I rather have at least some playable 35 fps at white run than, inhuman sub 20 fps hehehe xD.

Someone give this man a medal! ↑↑↑↑

This is what a wanted to know all along, there wasn't any need to turn this thread into a AMD vs Intel fanboy discussion.

Thanks, mate! I didn't imagine skyrim was such a crappy port, I'm kinda sad.

Choosing a performance friendly enb and not going overboard with too many floral mods will still enable you to have 40-60fps. Because skyrim isn't properly ported, it only makes use of one of your cores. And there you'll find a bottleneck.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well thanks i guess? Anyways its not a perfect port it requires a cpu that is strong enough just like the guy above me said. Anyways i dont really get why some have to turn threads into a fan war instead of just helping out the OP. Anyways i derped, i get 50-60 fps on 3D vision depending on whats happening. Except on the previously mentioned maps.

But wheni turn enb off on the shift enter in setting. 55-60 fps almost anywhere in 3D vision. Just goes to show that enbs and sli or maybe xfire as well doesn't scale well on enb.

That's what I wanted to know. I definitely know my CPU is rather weak. I just wanted if the fps drop was something "normal" for the game. I don't really see the point of posting multiple times with the sole reason to let me know what I already knew (That my CPU is not the best ).

Choosing a performance friendly enb and not going overboard with too many floral mods will still enable you to have 40-60fps. Because skyrim isn't properly ported, it only makes use of one of your cores. And there you'll find a bottleneck.

Thanks, Mate! 

I'm going to try it out in my day off.