Telstra: A future Breakthrough in the Philippine Internet Market

LPTechnoAce

Source: http://m.philstar.com/315469/show/78268bf8898a2e7345fba19283c47d59/?

https://www.techinasia.com/telstra-spend-1b-philippine-telco-venture-hits-incumbents-lousy-service/

Telstra, if given the chance to set-up it's buisness here in The Philippines, will be a major breakthrough in our country's internet spectrum.

The duopoly created by PLDT and Globe Telecom still dominates the market with its lousy services.

I'm using Globe Telecom and the service is like.... Meeeeeh. It takes 8 hours to download a single 2GB file.

And internet rates?

My current plan:

2Mbps w/ landline = P1200 or $25

Yay, now the Philippines will now be fucked over by Tesltra!

They own the copper in Australia and they don't maintain the copper!

Care to elaborate on this one? Haha. Telstra is hyped as fuck here in the philippines. But luckily Im not in the same boat as the other peeps.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

God, you know you've got it bad when getting Telstra is a major upgrade :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hahahaha the people here are so excited even though the deal is not yet signed

I am so looking forward to this...

Currently on a Globe 5M line for 1600 PhP (~30USD) monthly... but that will change once Telstra undercuts everyone...

My area is about to get fiber (thanks to a nearby CBD and high-income residential area) so I'm going to ask next year if it's possible to get FTTP at home...

Edit:

To paint a picture... Our area has no more available copper lines so all the new subscribers get connected to the over-congested WiMax network... a 2M WiMax plan gets only 512kbps practical bandwidth and a 1M plan gets a practical 384kbps...

Edit2:

It's worse in the capital... If you're on copper, you're lucky...

God, you know you've got it bad when getting Telstra is a major upgrade :P

Yay, now the Philippines will now be fucked over by Tesltra!

They own the copper in Australia and they don't maintain the copper!

We need some details guys. :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

These are "NBN ready" phonelines!

-use Kirchoff's equations to solve-

Looks like the PLDT legacy lines in Manila...

If they're laying new infrastructure, I assume it'll be fine... I mean Globe does maintain their lines properly in my area...

While it's good that you guys are getting internet upgrades, I can't help thinking this is a bad thing, for a couple of reasons.

Telstra is not a good company:

1. They own most of the internet stuff in Australia and it's all poorly maintained, despite Telstra being insanely profitable (profitable enough to buy the second largest stadium in Melbourne, which they sold a while back).

2. If you want your stuff fixed, you can forget about it. Our home phone has been dead for months and we've rung Telstra about it countless times. All they do is send out a technician, try to charge us for it and the tech hardly ever fixes anything. Our internet is fast but occasionally it'll drop out for a full day with no explanation. The best we can do is call them up and demand our money back (in the form of a free month).

3. Telstra and Optus are the two biggest telecommunication services in Australia, that I know of at least. They have incredibly similar plans and prices and the service is almost the same, with Telstra edging out a little bit because they don't call you all the time. Many feel as though Telstra and Optus are colluding and have anti-competitive business practices and for some reason, our competition watchdog isn't doing much about it.

Telstra can sometimes get it good, but it's rare:

When we signed up for our plan, we got a $100 plan that includes a landline and 200gb worth of bandwidth. About 6 months ago or so, we got a letter in the mail that our bandwidth had been increased by 300gb at no extra cost, which is great. They've given me 2gb of free data on my mobile about 3 times in the last 6 months, which is handy because I almost always go through my 400mb if I'm not careful. They're sometimes quick to give us free months if their service has been bad. 

That's all the good stuff we've experienced over the entire time we've been with Telstra (more than a decade).

Why is an Australian company operating overseas?

It is almost guaranteed that Australians will be paying for the first few years of Telstra's rollout in the Philippines. It is not our responsibility and we should not get the bill for Telstra's greed.

I say 'greed' because why else would Telstra want to operate there? They don't give a shit about the infrastructure, or they'd fix Australia's internet infrastructure. People in this thread have already pointed out that there's two shitty ISPs that basically rule the place, so I suspect Telstra sees a money vaccuum and has moved in to monetise it.

Isn't it better that a company rise up and take on the Philippine internet industry and shake it up a bit from within the Philippines?

Don't get your hopes up, Filifriends.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

While it's good that you guys are getting internet upgrades, I can't help thinking this is a bad thing, for a couple of reasons.

Telstra is not a good company:

1. They own most of the internet stuff in Australia and it's all poorly maintained, despite Telstra being insanely profitable (profitable enough to buy the second largest stadium in Melbourne, which they sold a while back).

2. If you want your stuff fixed, you can forget about it. Our home phone has been dead for months and we've rung Telstra about it countless times. All they do is send out a technician, try to charge us for it and the tech hardly ever fixes anything. Our internet is fast but occasionally it'll drop out for a full day with no explanation. The best we can do is call them up and demand our money back (in the form of a free month).

3. Telstra and Optus are the two biggest telecommunication services in Australia, that I know of at least. They have incredibly similar plans and prices and the service is almost the same, with Telstra edging out a little bit because they don't call you all the time. Many feel as though Telstra and Optus are colluding and have anti-competitive business practices and for some reason, our competition watchdog isn't doing much about it.

Telstra can sometimes get it good, but it's rare:

When we signed up for our plan, we got a $100 plan that includes a landline and 200gb worth of bandwidth. About 6 months ago or so, we got a letter in the mail that our bandwidth had been increased by 300gb at no extra cost, which is great. They've given me 2gb of free data on my mobile about 3 times in the last 6 months, which is handy because I almost always go through my 400mb if I'm not careful. They're sometimes quick to give us free months if their service has been bad. 

That's all the good stuff we've experienced over the entire time we've been with Telstra (more than a decade).

Why is an Australian company operating overseas?

It is almost guaranteed that Australians will be paying for the first few years of Telstra's rollout in the Philippines. It is not our responsibility and we should not get the bill for Telstra's greed.

I say 'greed' because why else would Telstra want to operate there? They don't give a shit about the infrastructure, or they'd fix Australia's internet infrastructure. People in this thread have already pointed out that there's two shitty ISPs that basically rule the place, so I suspect Telstra sees a money vaccuum and has moved in to monetise it.

Isn't it better that a company rise up and take on the Philippine internet industry and shake it up a bit from within the Philippines?

Don't get your hopes up, Filifriends.

I'm just looking forward to them shaking up the market... we're waaaay behind compared to Singapore... and most of the economy hinges on BPO so their entry into the country would do more good than harm at this point...

Edit:

Nobody can afford the cost of setting up a new telco here.. and even if you do start up, you'll be bought out by either Globe or PLDT within 6 months of operation...

Wtf? Is this true?

Yes, luckily for myself I am one of 5 people in my street in a rural area to access a Fixed Wireless connection and I get ~40Mbps Down and ~15Mbps Up most of the time. The rest of my street is stuck on max of 6Mbps with people at the end of the street including some close friends being stuck on 2Mbps which regularly drops to about 512Kbps. The uploads in the street usually max around 200Kbps as well at good times. When a storm comes through or rats chew the lines (as they have multiple times throughout the years) Telstra says they will fix it but all they ever do is a dodgy patch of the line.

The duopoly in Philippines is fucking bullshit. Like seriously, there are gamers out there that has a big potential in esports scene but they are hindered by slow internet. I'm not even kidding. Internet cafes in there are like Mcdonalds, they are everywhere.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

As an Aussie, I'm paying $89.90AUD/month to Westnet (iiNet) for their Home-3 Turbo (300GB/month as 150GB/150GB Peak/Off-Peak) which is rated as upto ADSL2+ (24/3mbps down/up) but is currently capped at 8032/384kbps (ADSL1) at the modem due to Telstra's 25-30 year old exchange servicing a town of ~300 people which they claim is "too new" to replace and will probably spend most of the next 5-10 years waiting for NBN (which was meant to service the rural areas FIRST before moving to service city areas) to roll down here from Wagga or roll up here from Albury.

And yes, Westnet is legally in the clear here as they're providing me with the best they can provide out of what they advertise, given the weakest link between my system and their servers is the local phone exchange and they have no control over that.

Honestly, if I knew it'd work, I'd pay for and bodge together a pair of ADSL connections at the router just to get something that doesn't have me waiting 8 hours to upload a single 1GB file and have my system and net useless whilst that file is uploading.

Also, if you're wondering: No, neither Hellstra nor Opturds provide a plan with similar data usage at upto ADSL2+ speeds and for <$100AUD/month, 'specially not in this tiny little town.

Ouch.

Hopefully their presence will at least stir the market. The internet service telecom industry here is pretty shitty in general.

Or maybe a miracle happens and Google Fiber or Sony's "Nuro" in Japan suddenly arrives here. LOL :D

"Di na ko aasa pang muli." - Introvoys

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

As an Aussie, I'm paying $89.90AUD/month to Westnet (iiNet) for their Home-3 Turbo (300GB/month as 150GB/150GB Peak/Off-Peak) which is rated as upto ADSL2+ (24/3mbps down/up) but is currently capped at 8032/384kbps (ADSL1) at the modem due to Telstra's 25-30 year old exchange servicing a town of ~300 people which they claim is "too new" to replace and will probably spend most of the next 5-10 years waiting for NBN (which was meant to service the rural areas FIRST before moving to service city areas) to roll down here from Wagga or roll up here from Albury.

And yes, Westnet is legally in the clear here as they're providing me with the best they can provide out of what they advertise, given the weakest link between my system and their servers is the local phone exchange and they have no control over that.

Honestly, if I knew it'd work, I'd pay for and bodge together a pair of ADSL connections at the router just to get something that doesn't have me waiting 8 hours to upload a single 1GB file and have my system and net useless whilst that file is uploading.

Also, if you're wondering: No, neither Hellstra nor Opturds provide a plan with similar data usage at upto ADSL2+ speeds and for <$100AUD/month, 'specially not in this tiny little town.

So they fed you the same BS about the exchanges as well?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Eeeeyup!

I could understand 25-30 year cycles for if and only if the exchange handled voice-only connections, but as computers get more powerful and consumers get more data-hungry, 10-15 years would be a more optimal upgrade cycle to keep up with the rate of content creation, consumption and expansion of the Internet.

And you know what the sad thing is? Optus won't expand to all of Telstra's areas, giving them a boot up the ass, and while I was working as a concreter for the Morton Bay council, I saw plenty of Telstra's cable pits-and all of them were full of mud and cables that should not have been able to do anything due to their environment and condition.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL