Software Engineer or AutoCaD?

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

I apologize if I posted this thread on a wrong forum, but I don't know where to put it.

Right now, I am almost finishing up my basic at Community College, and I need to make a decision on which major I should focus on: Software Engineer or AutoCaD? 

- What is the difference between those two (Yes, I know I could Google it, but I want to hear it from you guys)?

- Which one is more popular to get accepted in jobs?

- Is Software Engineer/AutoCad fun?

- Anything else that I need to know about? :P

Thank you very much, LTT.

Hello LTT,

I apologize if I posted this thread on a wrong forum, but I don't know where to put it.

Right now, I am almost finishing up my basic at Community College, and I need to make a decision on which major I should focus on: Software Engineer or AutoCaD? 

- What is the difference between those two (Yes, I know I could Google it, but I want to hear it from you guys)?

Both require skill and hard work, just remember that.

What you find fun is solely your opinion

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Hello LTT,

I worked in an AutoCAD environment for 2 years. The thing is you have to be spot-on-accurate on everything. 

I don't know anything about AutoCAD so I could be wrong, but from a quick Google it seems pretty specific (ie: you create 2D/3D models using software). On the other hand, I feel like Software Engineering could mean a lot of things (ie: anything related to the design and development of software) and I'm not sure what your college will focus on without taking a look at the program information on your colleges website.

My college has the AutoCAD suite on the engineering computers. You may want to get a head start with some YouTube tutorials because you don't learn something as powerful as AutoCAD overnight. You'll most likely be using Maya but I could be wrong.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

"AutoCAD" is a major? Little confused here. In Engineering industries, Drafting or modeling using any CAD packages (both 2D and 3D) are normally entry level / intern positions or are contracted out to other companies who do the work. I'm not sure I could recommend that for an entire career path.

"AutoCAD" is a major? Little confused here. In Engineering industries, Drafting or modeling using any CAD packages (both 2D and 3D) are normally entry level / intern positions or are contracted out to other companies who do the work. I'm not sure I could recommend that for an entire career path.

Idk. I thought AutoCad is a major.

Idk. I thought AutoCad is a major.

If you're interested in doing 3d modeling and similar stuff, I think some sort of digital arts may be more what you're looking for. For example, a  neighbor I had in college did architectural visualizations to show what houses would look like after they were remodeled etc. Production based engineering offices will use programs like Inventor and AutoCAD for drawings and configuration, but that can get repetitive if CAD is your only skill. 

Yea... Speaking from the point of view as someone in the software development field I can tell you that Software Engineering and autocad are vastly different. For starters a Software Engineer is generally higher up on the food chain in that they manage a software project by working on it themselves, programming and other lovely junk, and corralling the lower level programmers, like myself. AutoCad is just a piece of modeling software that is generally required to be known by employees in the engineering and architecture field. Unless you get a job somewhere being the biggest master of AutoCad to ever live, or at AutoDesk, I kind of doubt that you can just have a job of being a Cad expert. If you want to work with Cad on a regular basis I would suggest looking into some field of engineering or architecture since you will probably get some mileage on it that way, or if you were looking into the software development track I would look into picking up some programming languages and some software development ideas early if you can.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

-snip-

Software Engineering is very different from AutoCAD. You can learn AutoCAD in a month or two. I taught myself Revit in two weeks using the manual that came with a trial CD to do a blueprint for my dad in 7th grade. Software Engineering though, requires a lot of practice, coding, and management skills.

Software Engineering is far easier to find a job in. Just knowing drafting isn't much since the architecture students graduating from college will also be fighting for the same position (There's a shortage of architecture jobs compared to graduates). As a person who switched from architecture to computer engineering, I can tell you if you like technology, sticking to software engineering will pay off. I greatly regret losing two and a half years in architecture and feeling unhappy with my major.

What is fun is subjective...coding is fun to me because I get that sense of accomplishment when my program actually runs correctly. AutoCAD to me is just a drag since it's tedious, you usually aren't designing (if you're a drafter anyway), and it gets to be quite boring at times. However, if you are a Civil or Mechanical engineer, AutoCAD opens up way more to you since you can design.

I think you really should sit down and think what it is you like to do. Don't just do something because you have the skills for it. My dad is a general contractor, and I learned a lot about construction and building design from him. I grew up thinking I would be a architect, even after graduating high school. However, I also got addicted to technology during the 8th grade and after high school, due to college application problems, I ended up as a intern as a debugger. The senior programmers there told me I was going to end up in the IT field. At the time, I shrugged it off and said I was going to be a architect regardless. Now I look at myself after having switched to computer engineering and being amazed that they were right.

I love to draw, I know a lot about construction (Many years of electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and general carpentry skills), and I thought that would've meant I was the perfect architect. Sadly I did not realize how keep technology had grown on me.