Have i3's become irrelevant?

MRC380

Lately I haven't seen i3's pop up in budget build recommendations anymore. Is the g3258 the new budget solution king?

I've never had a dual core so I have no idea what the experience is like, however I have heard the pentium k lags in anything other than gaming.

Is this true? How big of a difference is hyperthreading on i3s as opposed to a haswell dual core overclocked? Just curious as to what you guys have to say, my dad needs a budget gaming PC for when he's off school ☺

Oh and then there's the 760k from amd, but I only hear negative things about it...not sure if there's an Intel reign over these forums or if there's just been a bad amd track record lately... curious, I am.

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

get your dad a 4590 or at least a 4460

if you can't afford a 4460, get the i3-4170 instead or the 4370

BigDay

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

Sorry!

i3 is hyper-threaded. Makes big difference.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

get your dad a 4590 or at least a 4460

I don't really see how that statement has anything to do with the topic O.o

i3 is hyper-threaded. Makes big difference.

...yes I think I established this in my post when I said i3s are hyperthreadeded...

Almost dual cores are definitely on the way out

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The G3258 was the budget "king" for about a month after release until people realized an i3 is quite a bit better. No, i3's are not irrelevant at all, but it's a good idea to save up another ~$50-60 to get a locked i5 instead (if you plan on getting a higher end GPU). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Not at all, they are definitely a very good option depending on the budget

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

well the Pentium I feel like is a better deal price-to-performance.  Its about 50 bucks cheaper depending on where you look and it is a good bang for buck in a budget build.  I feel like it would be a better choice just to get an older gen locked i5 than an i3.

You could build a steam box with it.

An i3 meets the minimum streaming requirements for steam and xbox one most of the time

For entry-level PCs, i3s are terrific. They're souped-up dual-cores. My only wish would be that they made unlocked i3s. But, then again, they'd never sell i5s.

I don't really see how that statement has anything to do with the topic O.o

you asked for a budget cpu

i gave you options

4 core for gaming minimum. anything else is garbage

BigDay

well the Pentium I feel like is a better deal price-to-performance. Its about 50 bucks cheaper depending on where you look and it is a good bang for buck in a budget build. I feel like it would be a better choice just to get an older gen locked i5 than an i3.

Yeah I was always told to spend most of the budget on the gpu...a locked i5 is about 230 bucks cad which is pretty expensive IMHO...it just seems to me that there's no REAL budget solution...you either spend a little and get garbage or spend a lot and get mid tier or even more money and get high end...ya feel?

i gave you options

actually no I did not ask for a budget cpu...I was asking for feed back on specific CPUs that are typically used in budget rigs...and you provided no reasoning as to why anything less than a i5 is "garbage"

Not at all, they are definitely a very good option depending on the budget

I hear a lot of talk of games using more cores...and while that may be somewhat true, I still see the vast majority of games using few cores. If gaming is the focus, an i3 shall suffice correct? But what about regular day to day tasks?

i gave you options

Which is faster in not only gaming, but virtually everything else too? A FX 4100 or an i3 4150?

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

Hell no, I have one for a reason. Of course they are relevant.

as someone who has an i3, do you ever feel limited in terms of what you can do with it? Does it perform well enough for gaming? And what about non gaming related tasks?

Which is faster in not only gaming, but virtually everything else too? A FX 4100 or an i3 4150?

stay away from any cpu that ends in 41xx 61xx or 81xx...they use the older Zambezi archetecture and perform far worse than the fx 43xx 63xx and 83xx CPUs.

It used to be if you are overclocking go with the g3258 over the i3 but now some games don't even run at all with 2 cores so I wouldn't suggest it over the i3 even though it is still considered a dual core the hyperthreads will help.

I would pair it with a 280x

Nothing is irrelevant to the person who has a real use for it. I've known plenty of people who were perfectly happy with a core 2 duo for 5 years, it did what they needed and they never needed more. I use an i3-2100 at work every day, and it's all I need (it did need an SSD and 8GB RAM upgrade). Would I be happier with an i5? Sure, in isolated software suites, but the margin of performance isn't worth the $100+ to pick up a used one and slap it in. My uses at work are entirely dependent on 4 software packages up and running with around 12 tabs of Firefox. Core count does nothing for the programs as they're all network and access time (see SSD) bottlenecked. Scaling over 2c/4t is abysmal with all the programs (they're relatively ancient), core speed could make a decent impact if I had it in a board capable of OCing and it wasn't an i3, neither of which are choices I can make at work.

The main point of contention with "budget" CPU decisions, specifically with gaming, is that there is no magic bullet processor capable of filling every budget build. An i3 is perfectly happy pushing a GTX 980 at 1440p 60Hz but if you asked it to do 1080p 144Hz it would shit the bed. I've built out a couple decent G3258 (pentium) builds but I could never recommend them to anyone unless all they plan on playing is DOTA 2, LOL, or Smite -and the person knows how to OC the piss out of a chip.

You need to define your dad's specific uses before anyone can throw out anything more than an i5 is optimal and an i7 is the best choice -which are safe generalizations about any machine. Is he playing the latest AAA titles? What resolution and refresh? Does it need to do more besides gaming that have core dependencies (VM's, video editing, etc.)?

If I had to build a budget ($500-700) system tomorrow that would be capable of any game medium settings for 1080p at 60Hz it would be an i3-6xxx/4xxx or an 860K with an R9-280X or any other used GPU equivalent I could snag online. The caveat being the rig would only be used for light gaming and daily use. Anything more and you're going to want to up the budget to include an i5, preferably with the ability to OC and stretch out the life of the machine.

TL;DR - i3's aren't irrelevant as long as you're using them in their best use scenario -light gaming and basic office/daily tasks.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |