Project Blue-J -- TJ07 Build log (56K warning)

Alas my old PC is no longer fit for use and it is time to upgrade and build my first computer.

This new rig is going to be mainly used for gaming, programming and a bit of photo editing.

Specs:

• Intel i5-4670K
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Asus Sabertooth Z87
  • MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr OC
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) 1866Mhz (+ potential mix&match with random dimms)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD (boot)
  • Samsung 830 64GB (cache)
  • 1TB seagate barracuda 72000rpm (cached)
  • Seasonic G-series 550w 80+ Gold PSU (upgrade?)
  • Silverstone TJ07

My goal for this is to make a nice looking rig with a bit of metal work here and there, air cooling for the meantime but might upgrade to a custom water-cooled loop later in the year. This is going to be a month or two long project so don't expect any finished pics till sometime next month.

Index:

First delivery

Second delivery

Stuff to come, bad news and questions

Modding update: Now in 4K! (hopefully)

New room and modding update!

Aluminium everywhere!

I would go with a bigger PSU if you haven't bought it already because incase you want to upgrade.

Go for the 7970. It's nearly neck to neck with the 770, (as you stated) has more vram, and is significantly cheaper.

Are the 'Specs' what you have right now? What's your budget/currency?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7970 is nearly tied with a 770 so go with 7970

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I would go with a bigger PSU if you haven't bought it already because incase you want to upgrade.

Already bought it unfortunately, more powerful ones were a bit expensive and could afford them without losing some other components.

I could have waited for a bit more money but I wasn't getting a bit impatient as the build should have started two months ago.

Go for the 7970. It's nearly neck to neck with the 770, (as you stated) has more vram, and is significantly cheaper.

Are the 'Specs' what you have right now? What's your budget/currency?

The specs are what I have bought and have built so far, there the parts I'm using now to write this.

I have a slight problem with the budget as it goes from £150 to £450 depending on if I can sell the old rig, should be able to afford most of the stuff I want by getting a loan from the bank of mum so it only a slight issue.

One quick question about the 7970, can it run on my 550w PSU? I've seen some of them have a power consumption of 300w in the details of online stores.

I think he should wait for 9XXX Series.

I was also debating that with myself, but that would leave me with no gpu for a month or two (depending on release date) as the 560 I have is from the old rig that i'm selling.

The specs are what I have bought and have built so far, there the parts I'm using now to write this.

I have a slight problem with the budget as it goes from £150 to £450 depending on if I can sell the old rig, should be able to afford most of the stuff I want by getting a loan from the bank of mum so it only a slight issue.

One quick question about the 7970, can it run on my 550w PSU? I've seen some of them have a power consumption of 300w in the details of online stores.

The psu is enough. Just get a single 7970 with your budget if you can't sell your rig.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The psu is enough. Just get a single 7970 with your budget if you can't sell your rig.

Even if I sell it I might stick with a single one, get a dedicated sound card, new mouse and some other stuff.

Definitely getting a back plate for it, those EK ones look fantastic.

The first bundle has been delivered (over a month ago)

Huge pile

K3aT2VWh.jpg

i5-4670K

FEYBHU9h.jpg

Sabertooth Z87

racfipNh.jpg

Corsair Vengeance Pro

Had to move to the floor because it wouldn't focus when on the desk.

bsvBcSZh.jpg

Samsung 830 64GB SSD:

w7XGlmTh.jpg

Seasonic G-series 550w 80+ Gold PSU

gy7ds9Uh.jpg

Now onto the building.

CPU intsalled!

HsMaL9Sh.jpg

Fun Fact: it took me four attempts to install the stock cooler. luckily I had some NH-T1 lying around

Testing Ubuntu on the soon to be secondary SSD

CdSy8hHh.jpg

EyVtZGJh.jpg

My room has become a mess.

QGmvWsDh.jpg

A bit of test fitting on the motherboard tray

sRJntY5h.jpg

bTKrZlNh.jpg

Fitting in the case:

L8eOboKh.jpg

7o1Nbfwh.jpg

Epic shot!

ue4vAdYh.jpg

Onto the slight problem I made:

I accidentally deleted most all of the photos I took a few days ago and most all the recovery software that I've tried is absolutely shit.

Can you guys recommend any software to do so or is it a lost cause?

Retaking them might take some time and I'll have to wake up early cause of lighting.

Recuva.

Thanks, it worked for all but one!

Also could you remove the pictures from the quote? It's a pet peeve of mine and it just ticks me off.

Second (small) bundle has been delivered

Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

PNkL2pFh.jpg

Lost pics of the SSD itself, will retake them once disassembling cause it looks awesome.

And Windows 7

which would have a picture if I hadn't deleted it.

Finished building the rig on the mobo tray.

r2z4xzZh.jpg

Ghetto setup.

XAymWR4h.jpg

Installing Windows...

Got slightly bored

Msr9DZFh.jpg

Got bored again

FJqsfgeh.jpg

And still bored

QoAYTzGh.jpg

Pretty much it for the moment, need to take more pics.

It is up and running, works fine in all games for the moment.

Could someone recommend some stress testing programs?

I'll be putting the NH-D14 on before stress tests begin as I don't want to disintegrate the stock cooler.

550W is fine. GPU currently doesn't require that much power.

Especially if you gonna just buy single gpu card. The power consumption rate range around 200~250 watt.

Just don't overclock your gpu or cpu. because it would work but barely.

Anyway good luck, and your build log needs more coverage.

So underrated. Need 1XXX view by now. :P

Stuff to come, bad news and questions

I've been working on some of the 3D models of the metal work that need to be cut for the case. Unfortunately I have had to remove some of the pieces because the quote I got from the metal place for all of them was around £200 with powder coating (around £15). A bit of a shame but I was asking for a lot of pieces and a lot of work to be done to them. Might end up having to make the pieces myself despite not having a box folder.

Quick preview of the parts:

FzR08VS.png

Some more bad news, the fan on my current GPU (GTX 560) has started rattling and it appears to be a problem with the bearing inside. I'll have to buy an aftermarket cooler for it to be able to sell the old rig in working condition (also I haven't heard from the friend who was interested in buying for over a month now, probably won't be able to sell it). The fan on my brand new PSU is also has a slight rattling, considering getting an RMA on it or a refund so I can upgrade to a more powerful one. My hard drive have also started rattling on top of the whining noise so It might reach the end of its life time soon. Mouse has been glitching for a while now so I'll have to buy a new one.

This all adds up to quite a bit and as I might not be able top sell the old rig, I'm not going to be able to afford much of the rest of the build.

Never the less I shall be continuing the build with more "ghetto" means.

Onto the questions

Could anyone recommend an after market cooler for my 560? Something good and cheap

Anyone interested in buying a PC? (Cambrigheshire, UK only) I5-2400, 8GB ram, GTX 560, 500GB HDD, windows 7.(for further info or questions message me) around £275

Any suggestions on my PSU problems?

Does anyone have the dimensions for the window on the TJ-07 side panel? Size of acrylic? Size of hole? placement on side panel?

Recommendations on a cheap and quiet 500GB or 1TB HDD?

How do I get the original size pictures embedded in posts? All my pictures are around 4400x3300 but shrink when I put them in a post.

Can you damage RAM by overclocking/overvolting it? I have a pair of 1333Mhz dimms and want the timings to match my 1866Mhz dimms.

Can you cache a seconday drive with SRT? I've only heard it being done to to primary one.

Other than this I should have an update on modding coming some time in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Modding update: now in 4k! (hopefully)

As I've started modding the motherboard tray, I've had to transplant everything off of it onto a ghetto setup on the motherboard box. (Sorry for blur)

iEKNaAtmVCuIf.JPG

No PCI slot brackets, no problem

ibpOL6Uw1lgHOy.JPG

SSDs and HDDs mounted on the shelf

iM9vKVT0EVWRr.JPG

Drawing the placement of holes for all the necessary cables

iVYiNS9PPRSho.JPG

After a few hours with the dremel

ibnoHoc9n0bnt1.JPG

Mobo tray bracket and midplate cut

iIjUCnZst6GnE.JPG

Closeup of the mobo tray bracket

iyhVCROaT0hd7.JPG

Test fit of the mobo

ibcH62osKchbyZ.JPG

Rear side

ibz7WuDG7Ea3li.JPG

In the case

ibujjljqJYxkoX.JPG

Cable test fitting: sata

izmG2JEoHoXQK.JPG

USB 3.0 cable

iIJ0fnEvvZxVK.JPG

24pin atx power cable

ioPOQDENzTHh6.JPG

8 pin CPU Power

ibhDKxvChvZqAU.JPG

Over view of cable fitting

i76YoAm8pHaCk.JPG

Epic shot

iqzO2eGDsmxNA.JPG

On a smaller than 4K note, I have ordered the GPU (MSI HD7970) and the HDD (1TB seagate barracuda) and should arrive shortly along with some braided cable extensions.

I will have another smaller update on the SSD and HDD bracket modding(nothing but a few holes drilled) and all the internals will be sent off for powder coating some time this week or the next.

Epic build... Epic shots...

-respect

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

Really nice and clean, looking forward to see more updates.

Looks good. Will be good to see this finished. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Looking pretty good. Nice work.

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

Those 4k picture took like a whole minute to load #firstworldprobs

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

• 3 weeks later...

New Room and modding update!

Going to break some bad news first, the MSI 7970 that I ordered did arrive but I sent it back due to ridiculously bad coil whine.

I tried to search for solutions to this problem but nothing worked or some ideas meant voiding the warranty.

On the plus side I did get some sexy shots of it for your pleasure.

idz4y4xxM1f0A.JPG

ibwkJOj5yx4nY4.JPG

ibmYRjHrY71gRN.JPG

ibvSpPIAQg21S4.JPG

i1MgF23pdrnXk.JPG

ibyRuKBnH3FJac.JPG

New Room

I am so glad to be moved into my new room, my last one (pictured in another update) was absolutely tiny. Thankfully I can now work on my rig with more elbow room and have place to store stuff.

Have some pics of it!

i0zGJJBMisSv2.JPG

ifTgDXnF5CIgc.JPG

New desk setup

i7Rnsve4TqXRM.JPG

Closer up

i418GCVUVwIhV.JPG

Night shot

ibjRVdviY9Lodp.JPG

Lights off, LED strips on

iC8UIQ7Cxjg6g.JPG

Onto working on the case

Before this weeks modding endeavor.

iu3iMWXZB99Mm.JPG

Vinyl of the mobo tray to cover some holes and to make it look smexy.

ibxVIhiIo5YxZB.JPG

iLSU7G4m6ros.JPG

Rear view

iPgGyWNgfacAj.JPG

ijuErL72oXfKc.JPG

ibzkCM9yCmUDXj.JPG

Mid plate cut for future cable management idea

iPPS7RuQr5QkZ.JPG

Drive cage modded for 2 SSDs and 1 HDD mounts (using wasd o-rings for anti vibration mounts)

iuUR5vda15LEJ.JPG

ibxvqBQJZ3cE9A.JPG

Everything is done for now and all of this will be sent off to powder coating next week.

ibhEXJaUE6KpNj.JPG

See you guys next update.