Assigining letter to drive permanently

Hi guys!

I moved from Mac to Windows, so I haven't had that problem before as I was giving individual names to my drives and in Mac that was enough.

In Windows no matter what name I give the letter drive gets is the first one available and as I have multiple drives that I put in and out my programs have difficulties finding files (ie. Premiere or Lightroom).

Is there a way to assign a letter for good to a drive in Windows 8?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Andy

You'll be able to change than in the disk management.

Rightclick your "Computer" icon and chose "Administrative Tools" [think that's what it's called in english, it's the only option that requires admin] and you will be able to format drives and assign them to any letter from A-Z that is not yet taken ^^

Hope that helped.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Search for and open disk management and open 'create and format hard disk partitions', right click the drive you want to assign a letter to and click 'change letter and paths...', click change, change it to whatever you want, hit ok. Done.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

See, I would have started by saying 'right click on cmd and run as administrator'... Why do I try to make things so difficult

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

• 2 weeks later...

Search for and open disk management and open 'create and format hard disk partitions', right click the drive you want to assign a letter to and click 'change letter and paths...', click change, change it to whatever you want, hit ok. Done.

OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough :)

The drives are removable, so even if I change the letter after I take it out and put a new one I am ending up with a different drive with the same letter.

How can I assign permanently a letter to drive that it stays with it even if I remove it?

I'm having kind of same problem. I have two backup drives which are hibernating (=off) when not used. When one spins back up it takes last available letter. It was bit confusing. And then all them usb sticks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

See, I would have started by saying 'right click on cmd and run as administrator'... Why do I try to make things so difficult

Because using a command shell is faster if you know what you are doing.

Because using a command shell is faster if you know what you are doing.

Definitely

@trylo nope, windows will automatically assign a new drive letter to it if you put it into a different machine based on the current drive letters being used in the new machine

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop