Fear Mongering - I'm Tired of It

Kevguy

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of people fear mongering vendors based on a a single event or rumoured stories.

Examples of what I' talking about are:

1. Corsair CX series power supply. Someone showed a pic/video of a supposed torched PC with a CX PSU. Now everyone is going around saying that if you have a corsair PSU, in particular a CX model, you need to replace it because your PC will catch fire and burn your house down.

2. Seagate hard drives. There were issues with the 2TB drives due to the flooding in Thailand a few years ago. This has been long resolved. But still people insist that if you have a Seagate Barracuda drive you need to replace it ASAP with WD before all your data is lost. They put a real personal spin on it too....your kids photos, your wedding pictures, pictures from granny's 95th birthday party, etc...will be lost forever if you have a Seagate drive.

3. AMD CPUs. They run too hot and will fry up and will melt the inside out of your case. That is why you need a big honking aftermarket cooler, otherwise your system will go on thermal overload burn your house down.

Can't we just just get a grip on reality here?

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of people fear mongering vendors based on a a single event or rumoured stories.

1. Corsair CX series power supply. Someone showed a pic/video of a supposed torched PC with a CX PSU. Now everyone is going around saying that if you have a corsair PSU, in particular a CX model, you need to replace it because your PC will catch fire and burn your house down.

2. Seagate hard drives. There were issues with the 2TB drives due to the flooding in Thailand a few years ago. This has been long resolved. But still people insist that if you have a Seagate Barracuda drive you need to replace it ASAP with WD before all your data is lost. They put a real personal spin on it too....your kids photos, your wedding pictures, pictures from granny's 95th birthday party, etc...will be lost forever if you have a Seagate drive.

3. AMD CPUs. They run too hot and will fry up and will melt the inside out of your case. That is why you need a big honking aftermarket cooler, otherwise your system will go on thermal overload burn your house down.

I agree about the Seagate drives since I have been running 2 2TB drives in Raid 0 for about 3 years now with no probs

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

yeah I agree entirely.  People should only avoid CX parts for high end hardware

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

1. It is one thing to wrongly tell people you MUST replace your psu asap. It is another thing to tell people not to buy a lineup because it's bad in general.

2. Same thing. They are overpriced, have poor performance, and consistently have among the (if not the) worst reliability in the market. But I won't tell you to throw one out.

3. Literally same thing. They throw off way more heat than any intel cpu, handle heat worse than intel cpus (which can go much higher temperatures without failure), and overall motherboard quality is much much worse. Not to mention that temperature monitoring on AMD cpu's is absolutely abhorrent. You don't need a massive aftermarket cooler, but you shouldn't be seriously overclocking on many motherboards due to VRM's literally causing rig fires. Not one. Not two. But numerous events like this HAVE occured. (In fact, many combinations are literally guaranteed to catch fire. Hence they are not recommended or supported.)

Again major difference between not recommending bad products and forcefully telling people you need to throw shit out.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

yeah I agree entirely.  People should only avoid CX parts for high end hardware

Agreed, though if they're getting high end hardware, I'm sure they'd want to get a high end PSU anyways, though for people such as myself who aren't really stressing it that hard, the cx models are not that bad of an option.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

#3 is justified, but more so because amd cpus are really old so its not worth buying them, not for the fact they run hot.

Yeah! And people should stop hating on Norton just because of their bias and outdated knowledge that doesn't even apply anymore! It has been light on the system since 2008, catches just as much junk as any other AV solution out there and IS still ranked highly on independent testings that matter.

Also people who say you should just use malwarebyte when asked what anti virus they should use... It's NOT an anti virus!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

PCMasterrace>> Kill anyone who use consoles >>>get bored>>>Support console users>>argument>>PCmasterace>KillAnyone using a console >>> ......

Details separate people.

The funny part is that AMD CPUs are better at dissipating heat than Intel CPUs, but heat is not why people hate on AMD CPUs. If heat were the entire issue, then AMD would be doing a lot better than they are lmao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

But Corsair CX power supplies are actually shit...

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

Cx psu's are a fire hazard due to their inability to deal with the heat they generate under high load, I don't trust seagate but won't directly advise against them, and amd is not what you should buy for a gaming cpu, which is the most common build request people have.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'm tired of people taking valid concerns, over exaggerating them then telling people they are wrong for having those concerns :P

1. It is one thing to wrongly tell people you MUST replace your psu asap. It is another thing to tell people not to buy a lineup because it's bad in general.

2. Same thing. They are overpriced, have poor performance, and consistently have among the (if not the) worst reliability in the market. But I won't tell you to throw one out.

3. Literally same thing. They throw off way more heat than any intel cpu, handle heat worse than intel cpus (which can go much higher temperatures without failure), and overall motherboard quality is much much worse. Not to mention that temperature monitoring on AMD cpu's is absolutely abhorrent. You don't need a massive aftermarket cooler, but you shouldn't be seriously overclocking on many motherboards due to VRM's literally causing rig fires. Not one. Not two. But numerous events like this HAVE occured. (In fact, many combinations are literally guaranteed to catch fire. Hence they are not recommended or supported.)

Again major difference between not recommending bad products and forcefully telling people you need to throw shit out.

1. They're mediocre quality - okay

2. Have you ever seen the RA numbers on hard drives? If the majority of people had, they would look at brands quite differently. There's only 3 people on this forum I know who have: Linus & Luke thanks to NCIX and then the WD rep. Seagate doesn't fail as much as people think. It's just the backblaze data that came out that has tarnished the name.

3. They do run a little warmer however the big issue is the perception of them by the general consumer; they have always known Intel as a brand to be the best and hence ask for it.

1. They're mediocre quality - okay

2. Have you ever seen the RA numbers on hard drives? If the majority of people had, they would look at brands quite differently. There's only 3 people on this forum I know who have: Linus & Luke thanks to NCIX and then the WD rep. Seagate doesn't fail as much as people think. It's just the backblaze data that came out that has tarnished the name.

3. They do run a little warmer however the big issue is the perception of them by the general consumer; they have always known Intel as a brand to be the best and hence ask for it.

2. I have seen RMA numbers on each. It doesn't change the fact that in NA I cannot recommend any drives other than HGST as they are by far the best bang for the buck, while being near the top in both reliability and speed. 

3. I mean that's the reason AMD boards are so shitty in general, but it is a self-perpetuating issue.

But I mean that's the case for all three of these issues. I would never recommend them to people, because IMHO they never make sense anyways, but I won't tell someone they need to stop or get rid of their stuff cause it's not good enough (with the exception of overclocking on certain amd boards, which literally is a fire hazard.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The lifespan is short and full of errors...

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?