Is it me or is it the CPU..?

Hello great people of LTT!

I have an i5 4670K that I've tried to OC, but I can't get it over 4.0GHz, I know that I might just get a lousy, lazy CPU that won't give me at least 4.3~4.4GHz, or is it me that have no clue about how to approach him..?

post-113986-0-97985000-1445291525.jpg

I've only touched the CPU multiplier here, Not volts or anything else...

I've done some benchmarks and on full load I get around 65c and on extreme stress (OCCT with AVX on) I get 80c, On Cine I've got around 580 CB on the 4GHz and when I got to 4.1GHz I've got to about 430 CB, and on XTU I've got 684 marks http://hwbot.org/submission/3008287_ And I've done only my current 4GHz benchmark here..

My spec is in my profile.

Thanks in advance for all the help :3

*Edit - Copied the spec from my profile*

• Motherboard     Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
  • RAM                    Corsair Vengeance 2*4Gb (CMZ8GX3M4X1600C9)
  • PSU                     Seasonic 650W X series 80+ gold
  • Cooling               Corsair H100i, 2*Noctua NF-F12 + stock fans (because why not)

set to 1.250V and try 4.3 then

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You need to increase voltage apparently.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Btw - what PSU are you running? Just in case.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You need volt

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Oh sorry, I completely forgot about that... I did try to set it 1.250 for 4.1~4.4GHz...

My PSU is Seasonic 650W X series 80+ gold
Motherboard is Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H

You can't exactly get a high oc without extra voltage unless you straight up win the silicon lottery. Iirc the highest you should go for any oc on a Haswell chips is 1.35 but check with someone else first. Also, what cooling do you have? Just want to make sure you're not using the stock cooler or something. :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Hello great people of LTT!

I have an i5 4670K that I've tried to OC, but I can't get it over 4.0GHz, I know that I might just get a lousy, lazy CPU that won't give me at least 4.3~4.4GHz, or is it me that have no clue about how to approach him..?

attachicon.gifCPUZ.jpg

I've only touched the CPU multiplier here, Not volts or anything else...

I've done some benchmarks and on full load I get around 65c and on extreme stress (OCCT with AVX on) I get 80c, On Cine I've got around 580 CB on the 4GHz and when I got to 4.1GHz I've got to about 430 CB, and on XTU I've got 684 marks http://hwbot.org/submission/3008287_ And I've done only my current 4GHz benchmark here..

My spec is in my profile.

Thanks in advance for all the help :3

*Edit - Copied the spec from my profile*

• Motherboard     Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
  • RAM                  Corsair Vengeance 2*4Gb (CMZ8GX3M4X1600C9)
  • PSU                   Seasonic 650W X series 80+ gold
  • Cooling              Corsair H100i, 2*Noctua NF-F12 + stock fans (because why not)

its probably the 4670k, they are notorious for bad cpus and non oc'able. my old 4670k had to get returned because it was so garbage, i couldnt get it 100mhz over boost clock without a bsod. just return it, its a bad chip

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

its probably the 4670k, they are notorious for bad cpus and non oc'able. my old 4670k had to get returned because it was so garbage, i couldnt get it 100mhz over boost clock without a bsod. just return it, its a bad chip

Bahh... Isn't it like impossible to RMA it because it can't OC well?

Return it to the store/website you bought it from.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You cannot return a product for lack of OC capability - they will just laugh at you and tell you to piss off.

OP - try 1.3V and 4.3GHz - if that doesn't work just leave it at your current setting - it's already overkill for any game out there

follow this guide carefuly and you'll get good result...this CPU even if it's a bad one is capable of at least 4.2ghz stable on a modest cooler...something is wrong with your overclock...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You cannot return a product for lack of OC capability - they will just laugh at you and tell you to piss off.

OP - try 1.3V and 4.3GHz - if that doesn't work just leave it at your current setting - it's already overkill for any game out there

And why pray tell would you tell them that? :ph34r:

I have it for about a year and a half already..

I've got to this only now because I moved from one end of the country to the other, then had to RMA a bad H100i, then had to move again to the other side after a year.. In the last 16 months this is actually the first time I can get to fiddle with this rig and to set a side the time to do it right...

Any way, I was thinking of getting the GTX 980 Ti in the next 6 months or so (BTW, can this PSU hold it?)...

And I might just buy a new CPU for it aswell (Maybe a new gen mobo+CPU?), What do you think of the 4690k/4790k (Priced here for 280/400 USD right now)

I have it for about a year and a half already..

I've got to this only now because I moved from one end of the country to the other, then had to RMA a bad H100i, then had to move again to the other side after a year.. In the last 16 months this is actually the first time I can get to fiddle with this rig and to set a side the time to do it right...

Any way, I was thinking of getting the GTX 980 Ti in the next 6 months or so (BTW, can this PSU hold it?)...

And I might just buy a new CPU for it aswell (Maybe a new gen mobo+CPU?), What do you think of the 4690k/4790k (Priced here for 280/400 USD right now)

The 4690k is a much better overclocker. It tends to get much more consistent results. There are bad ones for sure, but you can reasonably expect 4.4 ghz or so. But it wouldn't be worth the cost

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

If you're going to throw down on a new CPU grab a 4790K before they're gone.

for all of you that say rma'ing is impossible, the shop owners are just faggots. i got mine returned and i got a full refund lmao. i told them it was a garbage faulty product and i demanded a refund. if the shop has any reputation, you can even pull some legal statements from the book or something lmao. demand a refund, if not i just go with threats (not too far) and if it doesnt work i just talk sh*t if its a reputable company. thats never really happened to me before because im from new zealand with good people/shops. idk in america where there are greedy af selfish people. (no offense, im just saying some are)

FYI: 4690k is a beast of an overclocker, can get mine at 4.7ghz no sweat. on my old 4670k garbage, all my mates laughed at it

CPU: Intel i7 8700k || Motherboard: Asus Z370-E ROG || RAMCorsair 4266 2x8gb || GPU: Sapphire r9 280x tri-x || Case: Corsair 780t || 

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, 1TB Segate Barracuda HDD || PSUSeasonic M12II Evo 850w || Display: AOC i2367FH 1920x1080p 23 Inch ||

CPU Cooler: Corsair h80 || KeyboardCorsair Strafe || MouseCorsair Scimitar || HeadsetHyper X Cloud II || OS: Windows 10 ||

using 1.300v allows you to overclock to what? what temperatures? what ambient?

use either the F-12's in push or the stockers, not both. you are restricting the

push fans.

Have you tried messing around with vccin? That makes a difference with haswell chips sometimes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

using 1.300v allows you to overclock to what? what temperatures? what ambient?

use either the F-12's in push or the stockers, not both. you are restricting the

push fans.

My Noctua are on push and the stock Corsair are on pull, and the Corsair are set to a slightly higher RPM than the Noctua..

Have you tried messing around with vccin? That makes a difference with haswell chips sometimes.

I have no idea what is "vccin", this is my 1st CPU  that I ever try to OC, I don't really know what I'm doing other than what people say on some OCing guides... I didn't mess with anything other then the CPU multiplier and the voltage..

I wanted to follow the guide that was posted up here but I couldn't even go passed the 1st step because for some reason I can't update the BIOS.. (file size incorrect / flash utility outdated) I will give the BIOS one more attempt today and if it won't accept it I will simply skip it and continue with the guide..     (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/)

If you (or any one else) have some time to help me out with it, I would be very thankful :3

My Noctua are on push and the stock Corsair are on pull, and the Corsair are set to a slightly higher RPM than the Noctua..

I have no idea what is "vccin", this is my 1st CPU  that I ever try to OC, I don't really know what I'm doing other than what people say on some OCing guides... I didn't mess with anything other then the CPU multiplier and the voltage..

I wanted to follow the guide that was posted up here but I couldn't even go passed the 1st step because for some reason I can't update the BIOS.. (file size incorrect / flash utility outdated) I will give the BIOS one more attempt today and if it won't accept it I will simply skip it and continue with the guide..     (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/)

If you (or any one else) have some time to help me out with it, I would be very thankful :3

skip the bios update if you're having ANY type of issues performing it...just move to next step...your VCCIN should be set to around 0.4V ABOVE your core voltage, so if you try 1.2v Vcore set the VCCIN to around 1.6 or 1.65V and your CPU ring bus (also called cache ratio on some motherboard) this should be set a little bit lower than your CPU multiplier so if for example you try 42 multiplier you should try a cache multi of around 39 or 40 and also the voltage of the cache should be a bit lower than the vcore so again if 1.2v Vcore try to set around 1.15v for the cache. hope this help.

the guide is nice but the bios update in many cases will prove to be useless anyways especialy if you are not having issues with it to begin with or if you have trouble flashing it cause you can brick your motherboard if it goes wrong there.

here's the deal, i have a pretty average i7-4770K and i suspect your CPU should AT LEAST be able to run those settings stable, here is what i use:

CPU Vcore 1.19V

CPU VCCIN (imput voltage) : 1.65V

CPU multiplier 42

Cache ratio 40

Cache voltage 1.15V

you could start from there and see how it goes.

test this with STOCK DEFAULT memory settings, if it's stable later you'll want to load the XMP profile 1 for your memory.

CHances are you could keep those settings and try 43 and then 44 multiplier and if your chip is a somewhat good one those settings should still be stable...mine need 1.27V for 43 multiplier and a whooping 1.325V for 4.4ghz..so really not worth it beyond 42 on my chip but maybe you have more luck...it might be worse but really 1.25V should hold 42 on pretty much any chip.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

skip the bios update if you're having ANY type of issues performing it...just move to next step...your VCCIN should be set to around 0.4V ABOVE your core voltage, so if you try 1.2v Vcore set the VCCIN to around 1.6 or 1.65V and your CPU ring bus (also called cache ratio on some motherboard) this should be set a little bit lower than your CPU multiplier so if for example you try 42 multiplier you should try a cache multi of around 39 or 40 and also the voltage of the cache should be a bit lower than the vcore so again if 1.2v Vcore try to set around 1.15v for the cache. hope this help.

the guide is nice but the bios update in many cases will prove to be useless anyways especialy if you are not having issues with it to begin with or if you have trouble flashing it cause you can brick your motherboard if it goes wrong there.

here's the deal, i have a pretty average i7-4770K and i suspect your CPU should AT LEAST be able to run those settings stable, here is what i use:

CPU Vcore 1.19V

CPU VCCIN (imput voltage) : 1.65V

CPU multiplier 42

Cache ratio 40

Cache voltage 1.15V

you could start from there and see how it goes.

test this with STOCK DEFAULT memory settings, if it's stable later you'll want to load the XMP profile 1 for your memory.

CHances are you could keep those settings and try 43 and then 44 multiplier and if your chip is a somewhat good one those settings should still be stable...mine need 1.27V for 43 multiplier and a whooping 1.325V for 4.4ghz..so really not worth it beyond 42 on my chip but maybe you have more luck...it might be worse but really 1.25V should hold 42 on pretty much any chip.

I can't find the CPU ring/cache multiplier anywhere though I did find it's voltage settings, I did find the VCCIN though it had a different name (I think this is the right one) CPU VRIN, it recommended to be set 0.4v above the core voltage on the EUFI tooltip thingy on the lower right corner, tell me I'm right about this guess xD

post-113986-0-34746600-1445440036_thumb.

I found this "Uncore ratio" thingy, I have no idea what it is, could this be the cache one..? and on the tooltip on the bottom right it says that it should be set to equal or higher than the CPU multiplier, what is that if not the cache..?

post-113986-0-16296600-1445440044_thumb.

I've saved this setting but didn't apply it yet, waiting for you reply..

I can't find the CPU ring/cache multiplier anywhere though I did find it's voltage settings, I did find the VCCIN though it had a different name (I think this is the right one) CPU VRIN, it recommended to be set 0.4v above the core voltage on the EUFI tooltip thingy on the lower right corner, tell me I'm right about this guess xD

I found this "Uncore ratio" thingy, I have no idea what it is, could this be the cache one..? and on the tooltip on the bottom right it says that it should be set to equal or higher than the CPU multiplier, what is that if not the cache..?

I've saved this setting but didn't apply it yet, waiting for you reply..

exactly the ''uncore Ratio'' is your cache ratio...set this a little lower than your multiplier like i said..200mhz lower should be good.

Also, intel turbo boost tech : set to DISABLED

and set CPU miltiplier to 42 (don't see it in the pics)

ALSO for uncore ratio i see the tips they give on the side there is COMPLETELY wrong...pushing the uncore HIGHER than the CPU clock will result in bad performance and instability, always set it equal or idealy a little bit lower for increased stability and better performance is my pro tip ;)

Yes, your PSU is more than apropiate for a 980 ti and an i5/i7, more than enough to heavily overclock both and still have headroom

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10