850 watt vs 1000 watt for future-proofing

Hi there,

I'm going to upgrade several parts of my pc an one of them is the psu.

Currently i have one Asus gtx 980 ti in this system and in the near future (depending on how the technology progresses)

i plan to add another 980 ti in SLI config in order to push the specs a little further.

Now here is my dilemma. I'm stuck between the Corsair HX850i and the HX1000i.

Do you think the 850w iteration of the psu will be enough to drive the SLI config or should i go for the 1000w version,

keeping in mind that there is some $50 difference in price. I'll be overclocking both cards and i could go for a custom watercooling loop down the road.

Here's the rest of my specs:

CPU: i5-4690K 3.5 (overclocked to 4.6) - Corsair H100i GTX AIO Watercooling unit

Motherboard: Asus z97-AR

RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8 GB

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB x2 and a Seagate Hybrid HDD 2TB

Case: Corsair 760T

And a dedicated sound card and several fans to cool it all down.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

well you SHOULD be fine with a 850 watt but I and this is completely my pick would go for the 1000 watt since there are cards that when crossfired or sli-ed need a 1000 watts (mainly AMD though) also for a 1000 watt power supply I would pick the CM V1000 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Hi there,

I'm going to upgrade several parts of my pc an one of them is the psu.

Currently i have one Asus gtx 980 ti in this system and in the near future (depending on how the technology progresses)

i plan to add another 980 ti in SLI config in order to push the specs a little further.

Now here is my dilemma. I'm stuck between the Corsair HX850i and the HX1000i.

Do you think the 850w iteration of the psu will be enough to drive the SLI config or should i go for the 1000w version,

keeping in mind that there is some $50 difference in price. I'll be overclocking both cards and i could go for a custom watercooling loop down the road.

Here's the rest of my specs:

CPU: i5-4690K 3.5 (overclocked to 4.6) - Corsair H100i GTX AIO Watercooling unit

Motherboard: Asus z97-AR

RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8 GB

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB x2 and a Seagate Hybrid HDD 2TB

Case: Corsair 760T

And a dedicated sound card and several fans to cool it all down.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

here is a list for gpu wattage requirements 

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

well you SHOULD be fine with a 850 watt but I and this is completely my pick would go for the 1000 watt since there are cards that when crossfired or sli-ed need a 1000 watts (mainly AMD though) also for a 1000 watt power supply I would pick the CM V1000 

Unfortunately CM V1000 is not available in my region. And the list you posted recommends 850w for 2x 980 ti SLI.

I'm not sure that list is reliable because of what it says about the two video cards I've got running in two computers.

It says an R9 290 needs 650 watts. I had a 290 on a CX600 for almost a year.

And then it says a 970 needs 500. That seems a bit high. And its pin count on the power connectors is also not completely accurate.

It seems like the page is too much of a "guideline" resource (with errors) rather than a reliable source of tested information.

Go for a 1000w, I have 2x GTX 780 and corsair link shows them using 650w+ (700w+ from the wall) during gaming and the 980ti's use more juice than these cards. Also It'll keep you closer to the 50% mark for better efficiency and lower fan speed on the PSU.

I'm not sure that list is reliable because of what it says about the two video cards I've got running in two computers.

It says an R9 290 needs 650 watts. I had a 290 on a CX600 for almost a year.

And then it says a 970 needs 500. That seems a bit high. And its pin count on the power connectors is also not completely accurate.

It seems like the page is too much of a "guideline" resource (with errors) rather than a reliable source of tested information.

the page is just a *recommended* its not needed to have more but just so you have room for overclocking or more harddrives fan and other stuff

850w it's enough for z97 platform. If you plan to switch to X99 then it will not do it with high overclocks on cards/cpu.

850w it's enough for z97 platform. If you plan to switch to X99 then it will not do it with high overclocks on cards/cpu.

850W is still good for x99.  X99 only takes 40W more.

HTID

I tested with dark power 850W psu and could not overclock the cards, would get many crashes and restarts. 1200W, same clocks, no problems. Custom bios 980ti can use 360W on it's own, x99 with cpu @ 4.5-4.7 (1.3-1.4v range) can pull 190-210w i'd say.

Didn't work for me anyway.