Asus Z170 WS

NumLock21

Release date at all? Where/when can I buy this thing

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

Mmmm. I love the Asus WS boards  :wub:

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Cool, wish i had money. *cries* 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I would love this style of ASUS WS motherboard, too bad the CPUs aren't worth the upgrade, and the day they will finally be worth it - this style is probably replaced by a shitty bright blue or red one instead.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I would love this style of ASUS WS motherboard, too bad the CPUs aren't worth the upgrade, and the day they will finally be worth it - this style is probably replaced by a shitty bright blue or red one instead.

They'll stick to navy and black for WS boards. It's been ASUS' signature for a while, just like the burnt yellow/orange dual-socket WS boards are a signature.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

side note: who the Hell still uses Firewire?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why even bother with NICs anymore? Just hook up a 10Gb ethernet dongle to a USB 3.1 port. You could get more room on the back I/O by changing everything to 3.1 ports except the audio.

if this was a laptop i would say sure, give me nothing but 3.1 type c but this is a desktop motherboard and adapters cost money and are annoying, I would rather just drop the video out and fill it with 3.1 type c/type a/ 3.0 type a and 2.0 type a ports and drop down to 3 audio ports, 5.1 is a waste of time. Also ps2 ports would be nice to see. Also dual gigabit nics can stay.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

side note: who the Hell still uses Firewire?

camera people, nice to have for legacy support. Maybe you have that one drive that for some reason only has usb 2.0 and firewire and i know i would much rather use firewire than usb 2.0

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

if this was a laptop i would say sure, give me nothing but 3.1 type c but this is a desktop motherboard and adapters cost money and are annoying, I would rather just drop the video out and fill it with 3.1 type c/type a/ 3.0 type a and 2.0 type a ports and drop down to 3 audio ports, 5.1 is a waste of time. Also ps2 ports would be nice to see. Also dual gigabit nics can stay.

Why repay for ports every couple years instead of just buy splitters once and being done with it?

Why repay for ports every couple years instead of just buy splitters once and being done with it?

I dont drop boards out of service on an upgrade, they just go somewhere else, that would mean i would have to buy more adapters anyway. Most peripherals are going to be usb 2.0 so plugging them into a 3.1 port is a waste. Having more of the ports results in higher board costs. Then there would be stupid shit like, i doubt that anyone making ps2 to usb adapters is going to make them in type c so i would if i wanted to use something like a model m i would need to go from ps2 to usb 2.0 to type c which is dumb and adds 2 extra points of failure. Speaking of points of failure, every time you have an adapter thats one extra point of failure, and troubleshooting it means that you have to determine what is actually dead, the adapter or the device itself.

Also concerning your type c to 10Gbe, any adapter that you can find now probably costs much more than it should if it even exists and i doubt it would have the same configurability, stability and performance consistency than say an intel 10Gbe nic 

like i said, on a laptop go for it, the connecters are small and you can fit heaps on in addition to being versatile but on a desktop i want easy backwards compatibility. I dont want to run into a situation where i want to connect some random device only to realise that i don't have the right adapter on a platform that has ample room just to put on more ports

I'm waiting for Z180 or possibly even X190 before I upgrade. Compatibility with Kaby Lake and Cannonlake is a must.

I hope X190-WS board is still the same dark grey metallic finish. I absolutely love it but I'm on 1150 and I don't feel like changing both my motherboard AND my cpu just to get this color scheme.

I dont drop boards out of service on an upgrade, they just go somewhere else, that would mean i would have to buy more adapters anyway. Most peripherals are going to be usb 2.0 so plugging them into a 3.1 port is a waste. Having more of the ports results in higher board costs. Then there would be stupid shit like, i doubt that anyone making ps2 to usb adapters is going to make them in type c so i would if i wanted to use something like a model m i would need to go from ps2 to usb 2.0 to type c which is dumb and adds 2 extra points of failure. Speaking of points of failure, every time you have an adapter thats one extra point of failure, and troubleshooting it means that you have to determine what is actually dead, the adapter or the device itself.

Also concerning your type c to 10Gbe, any adapter that you can find now probably costs much more than it should if it even exists and i doubt it would have the same configurability, stability and performance consistency than say an intel 10Gbe nic

like i said, on a laptop go for it, the connecters are small and you can fit heaps on in addition to being versatile but on a desktop i want easy backwards compatibility. I dont want to run into a situation where i want to connect some random device only to realise that i don't have the right adapter on a platform that has ample room just to put on more ports

my thoughts exactly. Thank god for x99 and pcie slot add in cards if I really need more usb 3.1.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

my thoughts exactly. Thank god for x99 and pcie slot add in cards if I really need more usb 3.1.

while i get the hype behind usb 3.1. I dont see why you would really want a board maker to put heaps of the connectors on if it was going to increase cost. I mean, what are people even using these things for. No hard drive is really going to be able to saturate 3.1 unless its ssds in raid 0/1 which is going to be expensive and unless you are running onboard graphics what are you using the display out capabilities for.

while i get the hype behind usb 3.1. I dont see why you would really want a board maker to put heaps of the connectors on if it was going to increase cost. I mean, what are people even using these things for. No hard drive is really going to be able to saturate 3.1 unless its ssds in raid 0/1 which is going to be expensive and unless you are running onboard graphics what are you using the display out capabilities for.

Even non-pcie ssds have no ability to saturate usb 3.1.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Socket 115X workstation boards... Lols

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Socket 115X workstation boards... Lols

Why? It's entry level workstations, for say art students or video editing hobbyists, or people practicing HPC with ECC-spec memory at the specified bandwidth.

Why? It's entry level workstations, for say art students or video editing hobbyists, or people practicing HPC with ECC-spec memory at the specified bandwidth.

Not even that necessarily. I'm a Python web developer and I wouldn't need the cpu processing power that X99 affords, but having ECC and the massive I/O throughput that NVME and M.2 offers is really all I need. Iops are life. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

Is that NVME port next  to sata ports ?

It's a U.2 also call mini-SAS for NVME drives.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It's a U.2 also call mini-SAS for NVME drives.

SAS and NVME are not inter compatible. You can use it in one more or the other, but not both. SAS is built to handle arrays of hard drives running the SCZI protocol. NVME is a whole different beast.

SAS and NVME are not inter compatible. You can use it in one more or the other, but not both. SAS is built to handle arrays of hard drives running the SCZI protocol. NVME is a whole different beast.

That I know, I'm was just talking about the connector itself. it's a mini-SAS connector, but only for nvme drives. About SCSI, I still remember them, was it 50 pin wide ribbon cable with up to 7 connectors, each device needs a SCSI ID, and there must be a terminal at the ends. Then there is UltraWide SCSI, those Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive starting up, makes everyone know you have a beast computer. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 2 weeks later...

This board still isn't out yet. Anyone know anything? I keep pestering JJ's twitter about it and no response

This board still isn't out yet. Anyone know anything? I keep pestering JJ's twitter about it and no response

Please keep trying. 

Not listed with the distributors.

I still don't understand this motherboard and why it exists. It should have the C236 chipset, not Z170. The only thing I can think of is that Asus are trying to push Intel for E3 V5 support.