Are these legit?

Gershy13

Most flashes have the Infrared transceiver built in, some models use a radio signal instead of Infrared as IR requires line of sight.  But of course this only becomes useful if you own more than one flash unit.

Additionally, most flash units also have a light sensor built in so that you can use your camera's on-camera flash as a wireless trigger.  The on-camera flash will fire off a very fast but low intensity burst that will not affect the exposure of your photo (unless you want it to) but just powerful enough for the larger off camera flash unit to sense the signal and be triggered.

hmmm.. any idea how off camera ttl works? would i need some sort of adapter to do it? if so, is it expsnsive?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

hmmm.. any idea how off camera ttl works? would i need some sort of adapter to do it? if so, is it expsnsive?

OK off camera TTL will require either an IR or radio transceiver, it certainly will not work if you use your small on-camera flash to trigger the (for example) Yongnuo 565 EX II mounted somewhere else.  Because your on-camera flash is not flashing :) something like Morse code telling the other flash what to do.

For my Nikon, the image below shows the type of wireless IR trigger I need to mount on the camera.  But this is IR and requires line of sight.  However I can get a wireless radio transceiver to extend the range and which does not require line of sight.  I've used Yongnuo and Phottix radio transceivers before upgrading to a set of Pocketwizards.  Here is a list of Yongnuo and Phottix wireless transceivers with TTL support for Canon. These types of transceivers require one transmitter to be mounted on the camera and receivers mounted to the flash units.  Some models are called transceivers because it doesn't matter which one you put on the camera and which one you attach to the flash as they can serve dual functions of both transmitting and receiving signals.  Some models have a TTL pass through so that you can mount a flash unit on top of the transceiver mounted on the camera.

Also keep in mind some wireless triggers are simple transmitters and receivers that do not support TTL and some models support TTL.

SU-800.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

OK off camera TTL will require either an IR or radio transceiver, it certainly will not work if you use your small on-camera flash to trigger the (for example) Yongnuo 565 EX II mounted somewhere else.  Because your on-camera flash is not flashing :) something like Morse code telling the other flash what to do.

For my Nikon, the image below shows the type of wireless IR trigger I need to mount on the camera.  But this is IR and requires line of sight.  However I can get a wireless radio transceiver to extend the range and which does not require line of sight.  I've used Yongnuo and Phottix radio transceivers before upgrading to a set of Pocketwizards.  Here is a list of Yongnuo and Phottix wireless transceivers with TTL support for Canon. These types of transceivers require one transmitter to be mounted on the camera and receivers mounted to the flash units.  Some models are called transceivers because it doesn't matter which one you put on the camera and which one you attach to the flash as they can serve dual functions of both transmitting and receiving signals.  Some models have a TTL pass through so that you can mount a flash unit on top of the transceiver mounted on the camera.

Also keep in mind some wireless triggers are simple transmitters and receivers that do not support TTL and some models support TTL.

SU-800.jpg

WOOOAAAH they are a lot more expensive than i thought.... i think i need to get the flash first... then ill see if its really worth spending nearly the same price as a flash for transmitters...

WOOOAAAH they are a lot more expensive than i thought.... i think i need to get the flash first... then ill see if its really worth spending nearly the same price as a flash for transmitters...

:D  The non-TTL wireless triggers are cheaper, but of course this means you have to use manual flash.  Additionally, if you want to move your flash off camera so that you can get light from a different angle, get a TTL cable, they are much cheaper.  But see the video below, it highlights one of the reasons why I love off camera flash and using wireless triggers.

Non-TTL triggers, you can get a complete set for a low price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=TTL%2fNon-TTL+Type_Non-TTL&catName=Radio-Infrared-Slaves&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=8007&N=4006633031+4051634328+3857973351+3888919053

Products_TTL_cable_02.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Additionally, many of these wireless triggers (both TTL and non-TTL) can also be used with studio strobes because they can also connect to the strobes using a 3.5mm or other types of cables and not just via the hotshoe mount.  They are that versatile.

Additionally, many of these wireless triggers (both TTL and non-TTL) can also be used with studio strobes because they can also connect to the strobes using a 3.5mm or other types of cables and not just via the hotshoe mount.  They are that versatile.

:D  The non-TTL wireless triggers are cheaper, but of course this means you have to use manual flash.  Additionally, if you want to move your flash off camera so that you can get light from a different angle, get a TTL cable, they are much cheaper.  But see the video below, it highlights one of the reasons why I love off camera flash and using wireless triggers.

Non-TTL triggers, you can get a complete set for a low price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=TTL%2fNon-TTL+Type_Non-TTL&catName=Radio-Infrared-Slaves&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=8007&N=4006633031+4051634328+3857973351+3888919053

Products_TTL_cable_02.jpg

yup, i think ill just go for the flash for now, if i need ill get a ttl cable.. i dont think i need a wireless ttl thing. ill just use manual for that... it cant be that hard....

yup, i think ill just go for the flash for now, if i need ill get a ttl cable.. i dont think i need a wireless ttl thing. ill just use manual for that... it cant be that hard....

B)  It's not a cheap hobby.

Which reminds me to buy four more SB-910s and two more Pockwizards.  :huh:

B)  It's not a cheap hobby.

Which reminds me to buy four more SB-910s and two more Pockwizards.  :huh:

Yes, true that!

LOOL. 

Well, i need to find the flash. i might just go for the expensive 565exii now. its only about £10 more

Yes, true that!

LOOL. 

Well, i need to find the flash. i might just go for the expensive 565exii now. its only about £10 more

the Yongnuos are really good, and even if you upgrade in the future, you can use this as a secondary flash 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the Yongnuos are really good, and even if you upgrade in the future, you can use this as a secondary flash

Yup, that's why I decided to spend the extra money for the yongnuo one

• 3 weeks later...