Did you ever kill your GPU by touching the back? (static electricity)

John98ZaKaRia
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

You would felt the discharged if it happened.

Today I don't know if I screwed up or not

I was checking out my GPU (not yet installed)

So I got it out from the anti static bag

And looked at its back

So I found that a PIN seems to be missing or it's its design whatever

But so I did a research on the Google

And and heard about static electricity

I feel so dumb for touching the back to check my GPU

Since I can't test that yet

Did anyone ever fry his GPU by static electricity?

I didn't feel anything happen

That's a good sign

I didn't feel anything happen

That's a good sign

It's high unlikely you'll encounter a problem. I mean, have you even seen @LinusTech ... :P

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

did you ground your self before anything?

I don't know 

I was walking barefot on a ceramic surface 

I want wearing any wool only cotton 

I don't know why people are so paranoid about static when I've been building computers for a long time wearing socks and on carpet and never had a part failed on me... Lucky I guess? Or perhaps components nowadays can handle the static we deliver to them?

I don't know why people are so paranoid about static when I've been building computers for a long time wearing socks and on carpet and never had a part failed on me... Lucky I guess? Or perhaps components nowadays can handle the static we deliver to them?

I hope my "MailMan" gets my Motherboard so I could test 

Today I don't know if I screwed up or not

I was checking out my GPU (not yet installed)

So I got it out from the anti static bag

And looked at its back

So I found that a PIN seems to be missing or it's its design whatever

But so I did a research on the Google

And and heard about static electricity

I feel so dumb for touching the back to check my GPU

Since I can't test that yet

Did anyone ever fry his GPU by static electricity?

you would of been shocked too. trust me I fried 3 computers at my job and Ill never forget for the rest of my life. One of them I watched a bolt of lightning from my finger tip about a half in shoot out to the power button when I went to turn the machine on. Instantly killed it hahahahaha. IT Dept loves me at the office.

no matter what computer I touch now I always alwas ground myself and touch some metal first before the power button

It survived!

I just worry too much

I've handled my graphics cards many times, on carpet, wearing fleece pj pants, etc.

Just so long as you're not being stupid and trying to build up a static charge then you'll be fine.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I've handled my graphics cards many times, on carpet, wearing fleece pj pants, etc.

Just so long as you're not being stupid and trying to build up a static charge then you'll be fine.

I do the same thing, I built my PC all around carpet and some on the carpet. I touch the back of the GPU all the time and even the connectors. Look how linus handles the GPUs as well. He is always touching them.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

I do the same thing, I built my PC all around carpet and some on the carpet. I touch the back of the GPU all the time and even the connectors. Look how linus handles the GPUs as well. He is always touching them.

Yep, I mean it is possible to do damage to it, but they aren't anywhere near as fragile as ppl think.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Yep, I mean it is possible to do damage to it, but they aren't anywhere near as fragile as ppl think.

Yeah true. Just don't like rub it on carpet or do some other dumb stuff and you will be fine. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg