Master one set or Average All?/Programming Learning order?

Nelius

Hello everyone at LTT!

I'm Nelius, and I'm new here.

I have newly found desire of becoming a Computer Programmer/Freelancer.

I have a couple questions for anyone that will be alright with answering:

1. Is it better to master one set of skills, let's say, Becoming a Master/Expert at being a Front-end developer? Or will someone be of more value who obtains a Average knowledge of both Front-end and Back-end sides of Computer programming?

I'm jumping into this freely so i may be dreaming in wanting to learn all of these computer languages, I'm not sure, I will give it my best shot however! (so for question 2):

2. I want to learn these:

HTML

HTML5

CSS

CSS3

Wordpress

JavaScript

Java

PHP

jQuery

SQL

Bootstrap

Ruby on Rails

I know it will take a while to acquire the knowledge to learn all of these, But I will be putting in all my time and focus till I understand them.

So with these listed, would someone be able to list in which order I should learn them to make it any easier?

Thank you guys! Wish me the best in my programming journey!

You should have basic knowledge about both backend and frontend, but specialize in one. 

Start with HTML5 (skip HTML entirely), then CSS3, JavaScript, PHP/SQL, JQuery and then Java.

Ruby on rails, bootstrap and Wordpress are nice to know but definetely not crucial.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Well, I'd say learn some python and C/++.  And, that depends on what you want to do exactly.  As martward said, it is better to specialize in at least one while being able to dwell into others.

Ah yes, I forgot to add these as well! Thank you for the reminder, so adding in these 2 and as Mart said, Does this seem to be in a good order?

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

You should have basic knowledge about both backend and frontend, but specialize in one. 

Start with HTML5 (skip HTML entirely), then CSS3, JavaScript, PHP/SQL, JQuery and then Java.

Ruby on rails, bootstrap and Wordpress are nice to know but definetely not crucial.

Thank you so much for the knowledge!

I'm glad that you added that The others are not as important so i can keep more of my focus and memory on the more important languages.

I replied to Valdy with his input as well, so I'll ask you the same in how does this look: (*) = just learning the basic knowledge of them

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Ruby on Rails*

Wordpress*

@Nelius follow your topics!!!

Ah! Thank you for this! I wasn't aware I'd be responded to in such a fast manner either!  :lol:

Another quick question, as fat as these go, which of the languages are more for Front-end and which are more Back-end? Just to have a more general Idea.

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Bootstrap

Ruby on Rails

Wordpress

Another quick question, as fat as these go, which of the languages are more for Front-end and which are more Back-end? Just to have a more general Idea.

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Bootstrap

Ruby on Rails

Wordpress

wordpress is not a language, and you should do python before java and bootstrap together with css :)

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Bootstrap

Ruby on Rails

Wordpress

The front end is what you interact with:

Javascript, CSS, HTML

The back end are the application, server, and databases 

PHP, ruby, python, java, C++, python, jquery

Wordpress is an application writen in PHP that allows you to build websites without much coding. 

Ah yes, I forgot to add these as well! Thank you for the reminder, so adding in these 2 and as Mart said, Does this seem to be in a good order?

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Thank you so much for the knowledge!

I'm glad that you added that The others are not as important so i can keep more of my focus and memory on the more important languages.

I replied to Valdy with his input as well, so I'll ask you the same in how does this look: (*) = just learning the basic knowledge of them

HTML5

CSS3

JavaScript

PHP/SQL

jQuery

Java

Python

C++

Ruby on Rails*

Wordpress*

Ah! Thank you for this! I wasn't aware I'd be responded to in such a fast manner either!  :lol:

I would swap Python and Java since Python is easier while there are many things the same. 

HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript are Front-end, as are Bootstrap and Wordpress.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Wow, looks like I got set with a whole plan in less than 10 minutes! Hopefully I'll be able to handle it from here thank to you guys! Time to hit a couple coding school sites, library books, and Tutorials!

Thank you guys so much!

And if any of you have recommendations on Coding school sites, YouTube Channels, ect. before I find them please let me know!

Also, as for front end, what design tools are mainly used? I hear a lot of Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop are the main ones to have. 

Someone told me dont learn Python in codecademy because its older or something, it there any places (free or paid) that have all upgraded tutorials anyone can recommend?

Thanks

Nelius

Someone told me dont learn Python in codecademy because its older or something, it there any places (free or paid) that have all upgraded tutorials anyone can recommend?

Thanks

Nelius

Python comes in two versions, 2 and 3. You'll find many people recommending both options. I think Python 3 is the way to go unless you have any specific reason not to use it. It really doesn't matter what you start off learning though, so just use whatever the tutorial teaches.

I personally don't think Codecademy is the best place to learn a language, but feel free to continue with it. There are many other great options though like

The front end is what you interact with:

Javascript, CSS, HTML

The back end are the application, server, and databases 

PHP, ruby, python, java, C++, python, jquery

Wordpress is an application writen in PHP that allows you to build websites without much coding. 

jQuery is just JavaScript and would be front end. Whereas plain JavaScript can be used for both front and back.

Forget focusing on learning languages and figure out what you want to learn how to do and why.

While the syntax may vary more or less between languages, most of the principles will be same. Once you have acquired a decent amount of experience with one language, learning a new one merely becomes a step towards implementing something.

As for learning actual programming, start with either Python or Java, both have a large user base so finding help on i.e. Stack Overflow will be easy and both are fairly easy to learn.
Going this route has the advantage that you only really need to learn the language and how to use the compiler/interpreter.
PHP is also a possible starting point, it is easy to get started with, but it will also give a whole host of bad habits, so I cannot recommend that route.

If you specifically want to do web development you should start out with learning the basic structure of HTML and CSS, and learn JavaScript (ECMAScript). I did not put versions as disguishing is somewhat ambigous except for newly added features, not to mention varying support among browsers.
Also learn how to setup and secure a basic webserver, if you put it on the internet people will try to break in and once you start storing data, you probably do not want that to happen.

At some point you would probably want to serve dynamic pages or store data server-side, once you get there you should be able to make an informed decision based on what you will have learnt.