GTX 970 4K gaming.

I am currently using a TV as a main monitor. It looks ok but I defiantly need better. Ive saw mixed opinions on wether the 970 can 4K game or not. So first off if I get a 4K will it look better on medium graphics than a 1080p TV running 60 hz? I do but I honestly dont know that much about monitors. My second question is do you think i would be better off getting a 144 hz monitor. I have an intel i5 4670K overclocked at 3.8 and 970 and 16 gigs of ram. If you need any more specs just ask

I am currently using a TV as a main monitor. It looks ok but I defiantly need better. Ive saw mixed opinions on wether the 970 can 4K game or not. So first off if I get a 4K will it look better on medium graphics than a 1080p TV running 60 hz? I do but I honestly dont know that much about monitors. My second question is do you think i would be better off getting a 144 hz monitor. I have an intel i5 4670K overclocked at 3.8 and 970 and 16 gigs of ram. If you need any more specs just ask

get 144hz. gtx 970 is not good with 4k, not even if u have 2 of them. like u would have to turn the settings down to med-low.

the 970 wouldnt even be able to push 144hz maxed out on newer title you would have to turn down settings to maintain 144 fps

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Go 144 hz. I have a 980ti and cant max out games at 3290 x 1920 60 Hz. Still on Ultra/high but I can't imagine a 970 doing well at 4K.

A single 970 can pull off triple monitors (what I am running) at medium/low for a stable 60 fps.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

I would go with a 144 Hz. I have a 980, and it struggles at 4k at low on AAA titles. I can't even imagine what a 970 would perform at 4k. 

- Posted by Aaron Kuo

I would not recommend gaming at 4K with a single 970, when I ran skyrim (with 90+ mods) at 4K using DSR, for some spots where all the textures and shit were loaded in, it was fantastic, but for others where it needed to load in new textures, performance was down the shitter.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The 970 isn't even in the realm of being able to handle 4K effectively. IMO the 980ti is barely in there. If you want halfway decent performance at 4K you need a 980ti at least, but CFX 390Xs would be ideal (unless you want to spend well over $1000). Even SLIing your 970 would be a bad idea because of VRAM limitation.

Turning down the settings for a higher resolution completely defeats the purpose of the higher resolution. Go with the 144Hz. You will see a big benefit in less demanding games.

the 970 wouldnt even be able to push 144hz maxed out on newer title you would have to turn down settings to maintain 144 fps

You don't NEED 144fps with a 144hz monitor. 100FPS looks amazing still and 120hz obv looks great. 

Personally, i say get a 24 inch 1080p monitor.  I heard it looks like 1440p (that can be wrong) and you could go with higher settings.

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Personally, i say get a 24 inch 1080p monitor.  I heard it looks like 1440p (that can be wrong) and you could go with higher settings.

In order for 1080p to look like a 27" 1440p monitor the 1080 monitor would have to be about 20 inches. At that point the pixel density would be the same, but you would have less screen real estate.

In order for 1080p to look like a 27" 1440p monitor the 1080 monitor would have to be about 20 inches. At that point the pixel density would be the same, but you would have less screen real estate.

I was told that the pixel density around 24" on 1080p was similar as 27" with 1440p.  I agree it sounds like it would be less than 24" but hey, maybe they look the same.  If so, i think 1080p on 24" would be the best considering you still get a good sized screen, get it cheaper, have it look good, and can have higher quality textures on games.  Yes, the 970 could do 1440p, but this is me giving my suggestion for 1080p.

Edited by Made In Canada

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

get 144hz. gtx 970 is not good with 4k, not even if u have 2 of them. like u would have to turn the settings down to med-low.

2 of them can run it, mine did at least. Decent frames on decent graphics. It wasn't very pleasing though for me, I personally didn't like it because it stuttered a little on more intense games. Go with 144hz.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

970 in SLI can easily push 4K

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

I wouldn't really consider a 970 for 4k gaming. I would rather go for a lower resolution high refresh rate monitor especially for FPS games. With a resolution like 4k and certain titles the amount of vram available will be a problem. What games are you planning on playing?

this will help you decide.

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

I wouldn't really consider a 970 for 4k gaming. I would rather go for a lower resolution high refresh rate monitor especially for FPS games. With a resolution like 4k and certain titles the amount of vram available will be a problem. What games are you planning on playing?

Honestly anything if I think it looks fun. Newer titles probably but CS GO is really fun but im obviously not getting the monitor for that. I really just want something that will look sharp with any game. Newer or older. I have a flat screen for my xbox one and its really good for a tv that is only 1080p 60 hz 48 inches. I should really look into why its so sharp because its beautiful with the xbox one

Thank you to everyone that has said something I really do appreciate it this is my first time posting and I honestly didnt think I was going to get this much help so that you again

Honestly anything if I think it looks fun. Newer titles probably but CS GO is really fun but im obviously not getting the monitor for that. I really just want something that will look sharp with any game. Newer or older. I have a flat screen for my xbox one and its really good for a tv that is only 1080p 60 hz 48 inches. I should really look into why its so sharp because its beautiful with the xbox one

As someone who has a 4k monitor and a 290, which performs almost the same as a 970 at 4k, I feel I'm pretty qualified to give you an answer on this. On all older or easier to run games, you will be able to max them (no AA) out or get pretty damn close to it no problem with a single 970 at 4k. I'm talking about games like CS:GO, LoL, unmodded Skyrim, ETS 2, SE3, Assetto Corsa, BF4 on high no AA, Dirt 3, etc. Games like GTA 5 you'll need to turn the settings down to low/medium for close to a constant 60fps experience. Far Cry 4 I only got 40fps even on low settings though, so if you want to play all of the new demanding games, especially at higher settings, I'd recommend getting another 970.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

2 390's here alone for 1440p @ 144fps.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.