G3258 or i3 4160

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as temps are stable and you have a decent motherboard, aren't all G3258's created equal?

They're all created equal at their default specifications, sure. But once you start trying to run them out of spec (overclock), you can be less certain what the results will be. Some will overclock better than others. 4.7 GHz is a very good overclock, and you definitely cannot assume your G3258 will reach it.

The i3 is faster in most situations, though, even when the G3258 is overclocked. I say get the i3 if you can afford the i3.

Ok, do you think that HT or the extra clock (4.7 vs. 3.6 GHz) would make the most difference?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae/4

Depends on the game, but in this launch review, the G3258 was almost always outperformed by an i3 at lower clock frequency.

Worth the extra $50 or should I put it towards the GPU? G3258 would be overclocked to 4.7 GHz and computer would be for web browsing, GTA V, and CS:GO livestreaming/video editing.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Worth the extra $50 or should I put it towards the GPU? G3258 would be overclocked to 4.7 GHz and computer would be for web browsing, GTA V, and CS:GO livestreaming/video editing.

total budget for the pc?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

first of all....how do you even know youll get a g3258 that will clock that high?

askdjfasdf

Pentium 

An i3 will actually run GTA V decently. A Pentium? Probably not so much. My i3 4360 runs it well enough. Still not as good as an i5 but that's to be expected.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

first of all....how do you even know youll get a g3258 that will clock that high?

Exactly, you're r buying a lotto ticket. Don't plan your build around winning.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

depends if you *need* those two extra threads, we'll need to listen to the GTA V crowd here.

but i'd say the i3.

EDIT: livestreaming... get the i3, you'll NEED that extra juice...

Even if the FPS difference is not huge, the Intel i3 would be worth it as it has less frame drops or frame rate drops than the dual core. 

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Exactly, you're r buying a lotto ticket. Don't plan your build around winning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as temps are stable and you have a decent motherboard, aren't all G3258's created equal?

total budget for the pc?

That's a tricky question because I already have some of the parts, but probably around $300 for a CPU and GPU.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

I would pay the extra money since you'll also have the benefit of hyperthreading. With a dual-core, hyperthreading helps a little bit.

blackshades on

Yes but some might not be stable or might lift too much the temps

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Go I3, the games will take the advantage

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I would pay the extra money since you'll also have the benefit of hyperthreading. With a dual-core, hyperthreading helps a little bit.

Ok, do you think that HT or the extra clock (4.7 vs. 3.6 GHz) would make the most difference?

Assuming I could get it up to 4.7 with a 212 Evo of course.

No, some can only get 4GHz, some can get 4.8GHz with barely any added voltage. It's up to luck like all other CPUs.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That's a tricky question because I already have some of the parts, but probably around $300 for a CPU and GPU.

Nope.

You can get one that does 5 ghz at 1.35v, but you can also get one that doesn't do 4 ghz at 1.35v.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

nope.. they are not all created equal. they are binned defects of other i5/i7

processors with processes burned off to recoup non-qualifying CPUs.

use the i3 or greater CPU for a better experience.

They're all created equal at their default specifications, sure. But once you start trying to run them out of spec (overclock), you can be less certain what the results will be. Some will overclock better than others. 4.7 GHz is a very good overclock, and you definitely cannot assume your G3258 will reach it.

The i3 is faster in most situations, though, even when the G3258 is overclocked. I say get the i3 if you can afford the i3.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae/4

Depends on the game, but in this launch review, the G3258 was almost always outperformed by an i3 at lower clock frequency.

Assuming I could get it up to 4.7 with a 212 Evo of course.

Yes.

blackshades on

Ok, so I'm definitely leaning towards the i3, but can anybody tell me if there is any difference other than the 100 MHz extra clock between the 4360 and 4160 is?

i3-4160 uses the HD4400 graphics, 3MB L2 cache vs

i3-4360 uses the HD4600 graphics, 4MB L2 cache and 100MHz to boot.

Thanks, 4360 is definitely not worth the extra $45 then, since I will be using a GPU.

it will if you intend to stream. the extra speed/cache and iGPU for quicksync will

be an advantage.

A pentium G 32558 is a unlocked cpu but core i3 4160 is a locked cpu, if you say theoretically an unlocked cpu will over-clock better. If you increase the base clock of both the cpu's at 125 MHZ then if you try to over-clock you can push the pentium far more ahead of the i3. The pentium is definitely behind the hyper threading but in gaming they both will perform the same. If your goal is to only game then you can go for the pentium but if your goal is to multi-threaded workload then go for the core i3. That's the suggestion i can give you if i was building the system.