NVIDIA Pascal Mythbusting

Glenwing

good clearing the air around pascal 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Absolutely amazing. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I've been trying to explain the same things multiple times to multiple people, but now i have something concrete to link to!

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

@Glenwing this will be a nice read and you should do a rebadge vs refresh thread as I'm lost.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'm interested in the FP64 performance........is it actually a performance increase over Maxwell. Maxwell had shit FP64 performance compared to Hawaii/Fiji. 

If AMD barely gets any HBM2 supply for their cards, then i doubt Nvidia would get some too. 

Please Nvidia bring back a card like Fermi again..........just keep the raw power and all the features for ultimate performance and don't care about the power consumption...or at least bring back the Voodoo name but i doubt that's going to happen. 

@Glenwing this will be a nice read and you should do a rebadge vs refresh thread as I'm lost.

Rebadge = taking something that already exists and wholesame naming it something new with hardly any changes.

Refresh = Same tech generation, usually faster in some way (although very little) with more under the hood benefits not apparent at first look.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

A rebadge is taking an old product and giving it a new name to make it seem like a new product when it isn't. A refresh on the other hand is basically a revision; based on the same package but with hardware improvements of some kind (so, just changing the stock frequency doesn't count as a refresh).

I'm more excited for 16nm

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Thanks for clarifying. People need to read this before hyping crap.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This is great and I wish we could write one about DirectX 12. Holy meowmix, people are tossing all sorts of stuff around: "well DX12 will extend the life of my AMD CPU!" and "DX12 will let me use AMD and nVidia GPUs together as one so I'll get both of their technologies!" and "DX12 will mean all these demanding games (already released) will run perfectly!" and "DX12 means we'll get vRAM doubling in SLI!" and "nVidia can't use DX12!".

I cri.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Good work putting this together, kudos.

And compute capability, yeah we've seen how well that's worked out for AMD in dx11, having mountains of compute capability. And who really knows yet how much compute shaders dx12 games will use.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yeah this is why I was cool with getting the 980 Ti. I don't do any CAD or crazy editing work so I wouldn't need a pascal card. Pascal could definitely be amazing for the work world though. Just imagine the possibilities for game development!

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Thank you for this, I was wondering whether I should wait b/c I'm worried I would need a new motherboard, guess not, so I'll just continue with my new build!

I expect low end and mid end Pascal to be Q2 2016, then high end Pascal in Q2 2017

One is the 16nm fab is new...and untested...and you can't go large and power hungry on first generation chips. Don't believe how unreliable a new fab is? Look at how long it took Nvidia to pick between Samsung and TSMC and finally siding with TSMC due to their longer working history and reliability.

Second point is...they will kill their own sales by offering their best card right at the release of the new generation. They will not be able to give any reason at all to their enthusiast market to upgrade their card within 3 years of launch. Whereas when you look at Kepler, people bought the 680, then the Titan came out, then the 780, and most people who bought the 680 eventually upgraded to those cards. And then when Maxwell launched, they started with just the 750 and 750ti. Then released the 980 that some bought, and finally after a while, the Titan X and 980ti which gave people (enthusiast market, again) a reason to upgrade.

Nvidia likes incremental upgrades. They don't want you to buy a card now, and launch another card in a year that completely destroys the card you bought. They put out one card, then 12 months later they bring out another card that is generally just 10-20% faster, so it's better than what they offered before, but not enough to **** off anyone who bought their last gen cards. And then another 6-12 months later they put out an even better card, with 50%+ better performance than their older cards, and people start upgrading again.

If on day one of the Pascal launch, if they come out with their absolute best card, they are going to have nothing interesting to bring to market for 2 to 3 years until Volta comes out. And that would be silly. Even if it were possible with the new 16nm fab. In terms of business, you need to offer a product that is a bit better than your competition, without being too much better/too costly for you. So they just need to put out a slight performance increase, but sell the card on much lower power consumption, wait for AMD to release something else, and then launch a bigger die version themselves, and back/forth they go. Just a quick reference:

FERMI

GTX 580 = 520mm2

KEPLER

GTX 680 = 294mm2
GTX Titan = 551mm2

MAXWELL

GTX 750ti = 148mm2
GTX 980 = 398mm2
GTX Titan X = 601mm2

Do you see the pattern? Small, Medium, Big, restart. Don't think about it based on die size. Because it's really just about transistor count. Pascal at 16nm, even a 294mm2 sized die like the GTX 680, along with HBM2, would result in performance close to the Titan X...and perhaps even higher due to lower heat/power consumption allowing higher clocks.
Hope that helps.

Also, NVIDIA is launching the GTX 990, so it would not make sense to release high end Pascal in Q2 2016

We also know HBM2 is going to have problems with amount of stacks as there was not enough HBM1 for AMD, so if NVIDIA and AMD are using HBM2, there will not be enough (Titan O, will need 16GB HBM2) this is why NVIDIA will have to wait for Samsung HBM2 (which starts production in Q2 2016) so it will take till 2017 for there to be enough and for NVIDIA to implement it on the GTX 1080ti and Titan O

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

BUT ... BUT ....

I was riding the hype train !... You destroyed my dreams of a killer gpu ...

On the other hand it wouldn't make much sense for nvidia to make a gpu that would destroy it's older lineup.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Where die you geht the information that Nvidia is launching a GTX990?

I just saw this as an April's fools joke over a year ago.

A source would be nice :)

Greets

CPU 5820k Motherboard Gigabyte X99 UD4 Rev1.0 RAM 4x4GB GeIL EVO Potenza (DDR4, 2800MHZ, CL16) GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition

Where die you geht the information that Nvidia is launching a GTX990?

I just saw this as an April's fools joke over a year ago.

A source would be nice :)

Greets

It is here

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-launching-dual-gpu-flagship-graphics/

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Thanks!

An now I think I know what I need next :D

CPU 5820k Motherboard Gigabyte X99 UD4 Rev1.0 RAM 4x4GB GeIL EVO Potenza (DDR4, 2800MHZ, CL16) GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition

Fantastic thread OP! Finally some solid information. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

Interesting information but Nvidia also forgot to claim how they'll be disabling the possibilities of multi-GPU use. Well let's be honest here they will do it and I mark my words.

Remember PhysX?

Thanks for the information.. I wud really like a jump in energy efficiency in pascal cards.. Save some electricity bills and money on psu's