NVIDIA Pascal Mythbusting

Glenwing

I believe your advice is like 10 years out of date, SLI is supported in every AAA game I've bought over the last several years, including console ports.

Linus is my fetish.

SLI isn't supported in a majority of games.  Single cards have a lot more benefits, and I highly doubt you will get strong performances out of ports for the next few years.  SLI support for ports has been abysmal. 

It's kinda sad that the majority of games does not support sli or crossfire.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I believe your advice is like 10 years out of date, SLI is supported in every AAA game I've bought over the last several years, including console ports.

You have been lucky there is many AAA games that does not have any kind or really really bad support for sli or crossfire.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Actually the majority of games do support SLI / Crossfire, its the minority, like 1% not including old games that would run at 100+ FPS off integrated graphics.

I doubt people who post negative comments about SLI / Crossfire have even ever used them.

You have been lucky there is many AAA games that does not have any kind or really really bad support for sli or crossfire.

And by 'many', I believe you mean 1 in 10 dont support it on release, and 1 in 20 after most such games get patched to include multi GPU support.

Linus is my fetish.

Well I do have SLI 970s for 1440p 144 Hz. I reckon they will be perfectly fine until the end of 2017, but if Volta isnt out until 2018 then thats too far off. If its out next year then I dont need to bother with Pascal.

But thats also assuming that Volta will still be made on PCI-E and not entirely for NV link, and that I doubt they can do that immediately with Pascal, so I'll likely just upgrade to a pair of Pascal 1070s or 1080s depending on price / performance difference.

The whole NVlink thing is going to seriously dent my original plans of running my I7 980 until at least 2020 or until it dies. New mobo + CPU in the same range costs far too much for too little gain, but if I do upgrade my mobo, it will be best after NVlink has been out a while and developed into its second or even third generation.

You should read the NVLink section of the original post :P it's not going to be used on desktop graphics cards, at least not as a replacement for PCIe.

But can it run Crysis?

Uhhh I don't think they can.

Crysis aka the slayer of graphic cards.

Page 3 saw the introduction of "1080" and "1080 ti" nomenclature, which has since infected subsequent pages. Has Nvidia confirmed this nomenclature or is it yet another myth to bust? 

20 minutes ago, Downvotethiscontent said:

Page 3 saw the introduction of "1080" and "1080 ti" nomenclature, which has since infected subsequent pages. Has Nvidia confirmed this nomenclature or is it yet another myth to bust? 

It is just a rumor/guess as far as I know, but I think most people know the names are unclear, and just mean "the 980-tier Pascal card" when they say that. It's just that "1080" is a lot shorter  to write and most people know what they mean by that.

I'm wanting to get a new card when Pascal, and Polaris, come out. When Nvidia says HBM will not be on low and mid tier cards what cards does that mean? I was wanting to get whatever the next xx70 card is, but if I have to step up to a xx80 I guess I better start saving.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

On 8.2.2016 at 0:53 PM, DELTAprime said:

I was wanting to get whatever the next xx70 card is, but if I have to step up to a xx80 I guess I better start saving.

I consider the gtx 970 the begin of the upper end cards, definately not midrange.

So let me get this straight, just because and is releasing Polaris nvidia will release Pascal even though it would shatter the 980ti and titan x market...

P.S I want to know if I should wait for Pascal or get a 980ti and move on in life!

On 9/2/2016 at 7:27 PM, Sank said:

So let me get this straight, just because and is releasing Polaris nvidia will release Pascal even though it would shatter the 980ti and titan x market...

P.S I want to know if I should wait for Pascal or get a 980ti and move on in life!

I am wating for the new gpu's even thoug I can buy a 980 ti and the 980 ti shattered the 780ti and titan market that is what new top end card are meant to do.

I managed to pick up a 970 Strix for $360 AU Second hand - while i await for pascal, felt like a good temporary step; Also sold my old 760 for $200, so minimal additional cost for the power upgrade.

Although Single GPU that is a powerhouse, like the 980ti does feel like the much better price to performance than going SLI, i have debated getting 2 "1080ti"  cards, especially as i have ordered the oculus rift, which i expect as dual monitor will be able to see a much better improvement from SLI than single monitor (Frame Alternating) we have currently.... time will tell.

NVIDIA will not tell anything it would potentially hurt the GPU market for both AMD and NVIDIA.

This hype-train really reminds me of the 290x hype train a few years ago, more so than the other trains that pass every time a new GPU architecture is about to appear. Especially with the nomenclature, nobody really knows how it's gonna be called.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

On 2/11/2016 at 2:56 AM, Dackzy said:

I am wating for the new gpu's even thoug I can buy a 980 ti and the 980 ti shattered the 780ti and titan market that is what new top end card are meant to do.

But the the  980ti came two years after, not 10 months after a flagship product!

9 hours ago, Sank said:

But the the  980ti came two years after, not 10 months after a flagship product!

The things with flagship cards is that they should always destroy the last gen flagship and Nvidia and AMD has been out and saying that they are going after making "cheap" cards that can run VR.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

The things with flagship cards is that they should always destroy the last gen flagship and Nvidia and AMD has been out and saying that they are going after making "cheap" cards that can run VR.

True... That doesn't mean there won't be a new flagship later this year. (with a flagship price of course)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I have never said that the new flag ship not will come out this year...

1 minute ago, A/C said:

True... That doesn't mean there won't be a new flagship later this year. (with a flagship price of course)

I have never said that the new flag ship not will come out this year...