Advice on new over-ear headphones for music/gaming

Damikiller37

Current status

Currently I am using the Sony MDR-XD200 over-ear headphones that are directly connected to my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth Rev 3.0). So as you can tell it’s not amazing and I want to change that. The main thing I'm looking for in the new setup is for it to make the sound more clear and keep the bass punchy but without it overpowering the mids and highs.

Sound reference

Here is a few reference points to give you an idea of how they will be used. In terms of music, I listen to every genre out there but more precisely usually it’s any genre around Chill or EDM. Here are a few songs to give you an idea of what I listen to (If you need more music reference look HERE):

Oh Wonder - Lose It (Jerry Folk Remix)

Curbi - Rubber (Original Mix)

Diplo & Sleepy Tom - Be Right There

Ollie Crowe - Stay (Original Mix)

Eden - XO (Monkey Punch Remix)

Mr FijiWiji - Out on a Limb (feat. Jonny Rose)

Vicetone - Nothing Stopping Me Ft. Kat Nestel

Misun - Eli Eli (Maduk Remix)

As for games I mostly play Action/FPS/RPG games such as Borderlands, Battlefield, Rocket League, Diablo III, Grand Theft Auto V, etc.

Requirements & Preferences

• Everything needs to be under £200.
  • At least one item needs to be on Amazon UK since I have a £25 voucher I would like to use.
  • Please check the pricing and availability in UK before recommending anything. Thank you!
  • The headphones need to be over-ear.
  • Can be closed or open headphones as long as they meet the other requirements and are suitable for my use case (refer to Sound reference)
  • The size isn't really an issue since my current headphones are quite large and I don’t mind it.
  • Considering that I'm using the motherboard currently to drive the headphones, if required or better off please recommend a DAC/AMP that would be suitable.
  • Not a fan of coiled/"hard to keep straight" wires but if there is a good enough reason to get headphones that has one I could deal with it.
  • Don’t want headsets just headphones.
  • I don't mind any design for headphones as long as they are not in "random/sharp hard to match with anything" colours.

If you have any experience with the items you recommend or with items that someone else recommended please feel free to share your opinions. Ask for anything else if you need more info.

Thank you for helping :D

The Fidelio X2s sound perfect for you but I think they breach your price point. Does anything from Beyerdynamic fit your price point (in terms of over-ear stuff they sell)?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-600-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H

HD 600. The straightest and techincally the best sound signature to monitor and listen to music to hear every sound in the song, You will her things you havent heard in the songs you like. Their 25 pounds to much but they are the best.

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

The Fidelio X2s sound perfect for you but I think they breach your price point. Does anything from Beyerdynamic fit your price point (in terms of over-ear stuff they sell)?

Quite a lot of them do if you look here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeyerdynamic&keywords=beyerdynamic&ie=UTF8&qid=1443911833&spIA=B00THKPJ5A

Perfect, DT770 + this should work very well. "This" is a nice Amp+DAC that will hopefully improve your sound quality and can provide a little extra oomph to power your headphones. They have a bass boost feature that you can turn on/off if you like the extra bass (which seems to be your thing with the music you listen to).

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would recommend you the Sennheiser HD 7 DJ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-DJ-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00HSEIU2G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443918732&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+hd+dj)

I got the HD8 (same driver as 7), they have an excellent and powerful bass that it´s in control and gives you clear mids and high, perfect for your EDM. They are not that hard to drive also, i use them on my ps4 controller and i get a decent volume to inmerse myself in the game (until dawn was even better with headphones).

Only downside is they might have a bit too much clamping force for some folks, for me is ok and that adds a huge sound isolation.

Looks and build quality are excellent and comes with 2 cords: coiled and straight, and even velour earpads that are a breeze to change.

I also recommend you getting a DAC is a great investment for any audio lover and there are a lot of cheap, portable ones that can help you get beter sound away from your home pc.

Hope this tip helps

P.S. Review videos

Perfect, DT770 + this should work very well. "This" is a nice Amp+DAC that will hopefully improve your sound quality and can provide a little extra oomph to power your headphones. They have a bass boost feature that you can turn on/off if you like the extra bass (which seems to be your thing with the music you listen to).

I'm considering in going a little over my budget and getting the Philips Fidelio X2 and the FiiO E10K even though they will come to about £250. Would you say it's worth the extra money over the DT770s?

P.S. Do you have any experience with any of those headphones or the FiiO E10K?

I'm considering in going a little over my budget and getting the Philips Fidelio X2 and the FiiO E10K even though they will come to about £250. Would you say it's worth the extra money over the DT770s?

P.S. Do you have any experience with any of those headphones or the FiiO E10K?

I have experience with neither of those headphones but the E10k I do. I can tell you that I would not personally buy an E10k because I like really light bass but if you're listening to the type of music you do then it's a great experience. From what I've heard from people who understand audio more than myself those Fidelios are an amazing value and manage to have a good amount of bass for open headphones. However, if you like the fluffy ear pillows on the DT770 and, when using them with your onboard sound find that they aren't bassy enough, you should get the E10k or a similar Amp/DAC to go along.

I own the DT 770 PRO. It's a good choice for EDM... energetic V shaped sound signature and is comfortable as well for long sessions.

Though If you don't need isolation and low sound leakage go for an open back pair.

Phillips Fidelio X2, Hifiman HE 400, DT 990 PRO

If you want to stay in budget, the AKG K553 sounds like something you'd enjoy.

If you're going for the Fidelio X2, don't buy the FiiO E10K until you're sure you need it. The X2 shouldn't require extra amplification, and most onboard audio has an adequate DAC already.

@STRMfrmXMN @ShearMe

Just an update, I ended up going with the Philips Fidelio X2 on their own and they arrived today. I must say that so far I love them; really comfortable, really high quality materials and sound amazing with the bass being nice and punch but without shaking your head which is exactly what I wanted. So far I don't really see a reason to get the Fiio E10K to go with them with maybe the only reason being is that the coil whine from my GPU when it is stressed in some games adds a slight noise when everything is silent but it's hardly noticeable and most silent so I think so far the headphones on their own will do the job :D Might do a review about them at some point. Would you guys be interested to see that?

@STRMfrmXMN @ShearMe

Just an update, I ended up going with the Philips Fidelio X2 on their own and they arrived today. I must say that so far I love them; really comfortable, really high quality materials and sound amazing with the bass being nice and punch but without shaking your head which is exactly what I wanted. So far I don't really see a reason to get the Fiio E10K to go with them with maybe the only reason being is that the coil whine from my GPU when it is stressed in some games adds a slight noise when everything is silent but it's hardly noticeable and most silent so I think so far the headphones on their own will do the job :D Might do a review about them at some point. Would you guys be interested to see that?

A full review? What would it encompass that you haven't already said?

If you gear it towards the uninitiated gamer types, it could be useful. There shouldn't be anything new to say about it for us headphone snobs though.

@STRMfrmXMN @ShearMe

I wouldn't learn much new about it but for people who want to use open back headphones for gaming (and every gamer should) - those types should like it. 

Also, if the bass is fine enough then I suggest looking for some sort of DAC that isn't advertised to have bass boost. A good DAC can really make your sound quality much better (it won't improve those 128 kbps MP3s) and add a lot to your music experience and even gaming.

A full review? What would it encompass that you haven't already said?

If you gear it towards the uninitiated gamer types, it could be useful. There shouldn't be anything new to say about it for us headphone snobs though.

I wouldn't learn much new about it but for people who want to use open back headphones for gaming (and every gamer should) - those types should like it. 

Also, if the bass is fine enough then I suggest looking for some sort of DAC that isn't advertised to have bass boost. A good DAC can really make your sound quality much better (it won't improve those 128 kbps MP3s) and add a lot to your music experience and even gaming.

Yeah I think that you are right about the guys like you wouldn't learn much about them but like you said I could try and write it more towards gamers and personal opinion. As for the DAC I might consider it in the future but right now I need to control myself since I've spent way too much in the past few weeks and as a student I won't be able to handle any more large expenses for a while xD

I need to control myself since I've spent way too much in the past few weeks and as a student I won't be able to handle any more large expenses for a while xD

That doesn't change when you get a job. :'[