DxO Mark: The Google Nexus 6P has one of the best smartphone cameras right now

CtW

Source: http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Google-Nexus-6P-review-Serious-contender-for-mobile-photography

Today Google unveiled the Nexus 6P. Having partnered with manufacturer Huawei to build this latest device, the Nexus 6P is the first to run Google’s most up-to-date version of its Android operating system — Android OS 6.0 Marshmallow (or “Android M”).

Tech specs for the Nexus 6P include a large 5.7-inch (1440 x 2560-pixel) AMOLED screen with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and 16 million colors. The rear camera offers a 13Mp resolution on a 1/2.3”-type sensor, video resolution of 2160p at 30fps, and a lower-resolution front-facing 8Mp secondary camera. Other features for the Smartphone photography enthusiast include laser autofocus, LED flash, stabilization, face detection, HDR+, GEO tagging, and a built-in picture editor. Available with either 32Gb, 64Gb or 128Gb internal storage.
We’ve put a pre-release sample of the Nexus 6P through our industry-standard image quality tests prior to today’s launch and are delighted to bring you the results.

Here are the results of their testing

316ddb64e5a896fe10ef47c71032c5e9.png

They ended up giving the 6P a score of 84, which, after the S6 Edge, is the highest score of any smartphone they have tested. They have yet to post results for the iPhone 6s/6s+ or the Xperia z5 which have the potential to score higher than the 6p or even the S6 Edge. 

When viewing these results, Keep in mind that they used a pre-production model so the results of the final consumer version might be better or worse. I'm glad to see that this year's flagship nexus device actually has a good camera, as the one the Nexus 6 had was widely criticized by reviewers. I do hope that Google has fixed the video stabilization issues that DxO mentioned in their review, but the rating that was given to it is not to far from that of other competitors. I definitely see this as a contender for my next phone. I'm just waiting for reviews of the Z5 to come out and if it comes to Verizon or not.

Wait, I thought both new Nexus do not have OIS..

Wait, I thought both new Nexus do not have OIS..

they don't

they don't

So it's digital stabilisation then?

So it's digital stabilisation then?

Probbly + they said some weird stuff with the bigger pixel size