Is Star Citizen Going to Crash and Burn?!

Having 90 million doesn't guarantees that you're prepared to effectively use a 90 million budget. Even if you do, a project of that size can and will have issues no matter how much money you have invested in it: 1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters do not result in a master piece even if you have enough money to hire them all around the clock.

That's just not the way coding a game works, you can't really do like massive collaboration spread across hundreds of devs, the actual people coding ends up being a smaller group anyways.

I guess that's true, but I hardly think it will fail.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And if this was any other company of EA or Ubisoft you'd dismiss it as the usual doctored trade show demos that are never indicative of the final product.

Look you and everyone here can keep trying to argue in favor but for me it's just cognitive dissonance as a a direct result of backing the project with money.

It's not cognitive dissonance to expect a studio not bound by corporate suits to deliver on what they promise; this isn't even Ubisoft or EA we're talking about, two companies who are renown for building up tons of expectations (most of it is at the fault of the consumer, but come on, they practically give us nothing to go on but "good stuff") and not delivering on what they deceptively show on reveals, previews and demos.

I say give CIG a chance. Can't keep on being doom and gloom about everything. That's not fun.

Derek Smart? That guy seems salty...

His twitter is full of trash talk about SC like he's an obsessed ex-gf or smth. 

2LTk0MR.jpg

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I guess that's true, but I hardly think it will fail.

I don't either, that's why I started my first post saying that it WONT crash and burn. It will just not be the second coming of the gaming christ as people are expecting it to be.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I say give CIG a chance. Can't keep on being doom and gloom about everything. That's not fun.

Even though I backed it, having a doom and gloom attitude might be the most reasonable. You already expect it to happen so if it does, no surprises. But if the opposite happens, you could be pleasantly surprised.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

And if this was any other company of EA or Ubisoft you'd dismiss it as the usual doctored trade show demos that are never indicative of the final product.

Look you and everyone here can keep trying to argue in favor but for me it's just cognitive dissonance as a direct results of backing the project with money.

The demo was a buggy mess that broke during the first playthrough and was done live, twice, in front of an audience and on livestream. It was not a pretty, picture perfect ubisoft demo, it was a buggy pre-alpha. They said they only got the demo in a working state 2 weeks before showing it. The last monthly report and past few FPS updates have outlined some issues with merging the gamescom build with the gamedev build, and what they did to overcome it.

They've never shown a single feature demo that hasn't ended up in the game. In almost every case the product we get is better than the demo they show off.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I don't either, that's why I started my first post saying that it WONT crash and burn. It will just not be the second coming of the gaming christ as people are expecting it to be.

All I can say is that if it is even half of what I expect it to be, I will enjoy it for a long, LONG time. I love the idea of the transition from space flight-sim to FPS. Specifically boarding other ships and space stations.

I know that I will definitely try my best to get into a large gaming guild as a mostly FPS combat role. I'm just hoping they include energy weapons in the game.

It's not cognitive dissonance to expect a studio not bound by corporate suits to deliver on what they promise; this isn't even Ubisoft or EA we're talking about, two companies who are renown for building up tons of expectations (most of it is at the fault of the consumer, but come on, they practically give us nothing to go on but "good stuff") and not delivering on what they deceptively show on reveals, previews and demos.

I am all for giving it a chance, just not with my money in advance. That's the thing I said about kickstarter and crowd funding: no matter how many times you tell people is not an investment and it's just a good faith donation, they will feel entitled as if they were investors and will react negatively.

And by the way, it is cognitive dissonance: not being "EA" is not enough to deliver one of the best games ever made, you're just kidding yourself.

-------

Current Rig

-------

All I can say is that if it is even half of what I expect it to be, I will enjoy it for a long, LONG time. I love the idea of the transition from space flight-sim to FPS. Specifically boarding other ships and space stations.

I know that I will definitely try my best to get into a large gaming guild as a mostly FPS combat role. I'm just hoping they include energy weapons in the game.

So you're admitting that you're lowering your expectations and say you'd be happy with just half of the promises, "Don't even need em to deliver on what they said fully"

Thats a rationalization, consequence of cognitive dissonance. It's understandable we all do it don't get me wrong, but the game cannot do wrong in your eyes since you're already convincing yourself not to expect all that was promised are you not?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am all for giving it a chance, just not with my money in advance. That's the thing I said about kickstarter and crowd funding: no matter how many times you tell people is not an investment and it's just a good faith donation, they will feel entitled as if they were investors and will react negatively.

And by the way, it is cognitive dissonance: not being "EA" is not enough to deliver one of the best games ever made, you're just kidding yourself.

I plan on giving them just enough to get 

So you're admitting that you're lowering your expectations and say you'd be happy with just half of the promises, "Don't even need em to deliver on what they said fully"

Thats a rationalization, consequence of cognitive dissonance. It's understandable we all do it don't get me wrong, but the game cannot do wrong in your eyes since you're already convincing yourself not to expect all that was promised are you not?

That's possibly true, it's also possible that my expectations are FAR above what current technology is capable of providing. My dream, or hope, is that they can take the record away from EVE for largest multiplayer battle of all time. Which, considering the graphical fidelity of SC, as well as the fact that it's real-time and has no time-dilation, is unlikely.

Like I said, it is a dream/hope of mine, but I know that it's unlikely. I would LOVE to see a battle with thousands of players, some flying ships, some on foot, etc. I know it is unlikely, but you have to admit, it would be an astounding thing to witness, let alone participate in.

Edit: on a related note, I didn't know that EVE once again broke the record for the largest multiplayer battle of all time. I thought B-R5RB was the biggest, turns out 49-U6U was bigger.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/the-49-u6u-slaughterhouse

Even though I backed it, having a doom and gloom attitude might be the most reasonable. You already expect it to happen so if it does, no surprises. But if the opposite happens, you could be pleasantly surprised.

I disagree. I see your point, but I don't think that's the correct mindset to have in this situation. Not saying everyone "should be like me", but I have the attitude of: I spent about $60 on it, which isn't a whole lot, so if the game fails it fails and that sucks, if it succeeds then everyone wins.

Having a doom and gloom attitude is bad I think. I don't have the correct words to get my thoughts out cohesively, but yeah.

There's a handful of successful indie titles that have gone through Kickstarter. Divinity, for example. Those titles wouldn't be possible the way that they wanted it (more than likely) if they didn't go through Kickstarter.

I know how people react, like they're entitled investors, and that's dumb. I don't go on SC's forum for that very reason, on top of their members giving out worse PC building advice than this forum ever does.

It's not just that they're "not EA", it's that they have smart people working their assess off to do their best at making their vision a reality, and I hope it comes to fruition. I just don't think having the whole doom and gloom attitude is warranted since we can't say one way or another about where SC will be when they "finish" it, on top of other reasons I would like to say but can't put into words since I lack the skill to do so.

not really, it's Derek Smart we're talking here.

zMuel seems to only post negative things from what I've noticed. Something doesn't work, an update failed, a couple of staff leaving (which probably means they've done their job and aren't needed anymore). It would be nice if he posted something positive for once. (even if he did I suspect he'll somehow link it to the death of AMD or something)

Well I mean whenever I see something from him it's just some negative bullshit, that becomes completely irrelevent due to his negativity and biased threads. This however is atleast useful to those interested in star citizen. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

the altering of TOS does look like CIG doesn't want to issue refunds

and what's with the firing of people who allegedly leaked on a problem that you don't have ?!

They may just be clarifying the language to make sure panicking fans aren't able to demand refunds in droves because of a few missed deadlines. The idea that they're planning for development to cease is a bit of an extreme conclusion to jump to.

Of course Star Citizen could fail, it's a crowd funding project. Everyone who contributed a penny to the development of this game should have gone into it knowing their investment could have amounted to nothing someday. Crowd funding is still a great thing, and even if Star Citizen failed with all $90 million, crowd funding would still be great. You just have to treat it like gambling. All projects are subject to failure.

I plan on giving them just enough to get 

That's possibly true, it's also possible that my expectations are FAR above what current technology is capable of providing. My dream, or hope, is that they can take the record away from EVE for largest multiplayer battle of all time. Which, considering the graphical fidelity of SC, as well as the fact that it's real-time and has no time-dilation, is unlikely.

Like I said, it is a dream/hope of mine, but I know that it's unlikely. I would LOVE to see a battle with thousands of players, some flying ships, some on foot, etc. I know it is unlikely, but you have to admit, it would be an astounding thing to witness, let alone participate in.

Edit: on a related note, I didn't know that EVE once again broke the record for the largest multiplayer battle of all time. I thought B-R5RB was the biggest, turns out 49-U6U was bigger.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/the-49-u6u-slaughterhouse

Well that's fair enough actually and I suspect a of people are backing this game up spiritually and monetarily because of what it represents. I just think a reality check is sometimes needed, it is not my intention to be the pessimist since I am ready to admit I could be completely wrong about everything and this game end up delivering all it promised and then more. But when it's the other way around well, you know there's more than a little bit of zealotry when it comes to this game and can be observed on this very thread.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well I mean whenever I see something from him it's just some negative bullshit, that becomes completely irrelevent due to his negativity and biased threads. This however is atleast useful to those interested in star citizen.

It's not useful though. Without Drekt Shart spreading his BS we'd just be seeing a few positions getting moved around and proceed to not really care. This clickbait article wouldn't even exist.
Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I disagree. I see your point, but I don't think that's the correct mindset to have in this situation. Not saying everyone "should be like me", but I have the attitude of: I spent about $60 on it, which isn't a whole lot, so if the game fails it fails and that sucks, if it succeeds then everyone wins.

Having a doom and gloom attitude is bad I think. I don't have the correct words to get my thoughts out cohesively, but yeah.

There's a handful of successful indie titles that have gone through Kickstarter. Divinity, for example. Those titles wouldn't be possible the way that they wanted it (more than likely) if they didn't go through Kickstarter.

I know how people react, like they're entitled investors, and that's dumb. I don't go on SC's forum for that very reason, on top of their members giving out worse PC building advice than this forum ever does.

It's not just that they're "not EA", it's that they have smart people working their assess off to do their best at making their vision a reality, and I hope it comes to fruition. I just don't think having the whole doom and gloom attitude is warranted since we can't say one way or another about where SC will be when they "finish" it, on top of other reasons I would like to say but can't put into words since I lack the skill to do so.

Key difference is that games like Divinity Original sin or one of my personal favorites, Pillars or Eternity are turn based RPG games with no voice acting. Hard to fuck up a smaller project like that. A far cry from "get 100,000 people on a single server using an impressive yet terribly intensive CryEngine to battle on space ships AND FPS and have massive economies and cure aids!....for only 60 bucks!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well that's fair enough actually and I suspect a of people are backing this game up spiritually and monetarily because of what it represents. I just think a reality check is sometimes needed, it is not my intention to be the pessimist since I am ready to admit I could be completely wrong about everything and this game end up delivering all it promised and then more. But when it's the other way around well, you know there's more than a little bit of zealotry when it comes to this game and can be observed on this very thread.

I agree. Personally, I just want to see this game end up breaking the mold for MMO's for being the most massive and awe-inspiring game to date.

I want it to make everything before it look as primitive as minesweeper.

I'm still waiting for any Indie game to charm me, but so far they have been exactly what I have expected them to be.

Including Star Citizen for which I own that red AMD ship. Still, I don't regret specifically paying for that thing even if the whole game never comes out as originally intended.

Star Citizen in my opinion has been already success, as there are bunch of other space games around the corner. Mainly EVE Valkyrie & No Man's Sky.

And as we all know, Star Citizen was going to support Mantle.

Star Citizen crashing and burning = RIP AMD

AMD won't be saved by a single game using mantle lol.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I wouldn't be surprised if he was mocking zMeul, our local source of Anti-AMD propaganda.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Anyway Star Citizen mantle is not happening. That was announced at a time when there was no DX12/Vulkan in sight. Now it would be stupid for them to do Mantle.

The escapist wow I'm totally going to trust these guys they are so honest, have no hidden agenda and they play games :D  Very trustworthy author.  

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I don't think so.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

All of the naysayers are the twerps who complain about games getting released too early from AAA devs.

Make up your fucking minds with what you want.

Pretty much this.

My Idris will demolish all 'yall whether it's in 2016 or 2018, better they take their time to polish my railgun so I can do it in one shot :P

Also, quoting Derek Smart's opinions on video games is like quoting Uwe Boll's opinions on movies.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.