is i3 still good for gaming?

spoder-man

thats on i5 4460 GTX 960 8GB RAM

how many years will this set up (i5 4460 GTX 960 8GB RAM) last with me,before i need an upgrade? -cpu, gpu, ram

ma spoder senz iz tingling...

say, with these GPUs, what increase in ave. fps will get if i upgraded to an i5?

Not much TBH everyone bugging about going and getting a I5 even though the benefit for what your looking to do isnt all that great yeah every one is saying just spend the extra 50-100 bucks and get some i5 but lets be honest you can say that all day long spend an extra 50 bucks and get a boot SSD spend an extra $50-100 bucks and get a better GPU spend a extra 50 bucks for a better psu for better upgrades later ect the list goes on and on but you have to remember a budget PC is that for a reason its being built on a budget... The best way to look at it is that if your looking at a 960 / 380 the difference between getting that with the i5 and the i3 the actual experience wont be that crazy of a difference yeah the i5 is better in all ways but its not like your throwing in a 980ti and bottle necking the crap out of it either. END RANT lol 

how many years will this set up (i5 4460 GTX 960 8GB RAM) last with me,before i need an upgrade? -cpu, gpu, ram

you'll be good at 1080p High Medium for like probably 7-10 Year probably Low Setting at the year 8th

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

I'm just going to say this, the I3 is great for its price, dont listen to these people that say get an i5 instead, an I3 is still a great cpu, and once DX12/Vulkan becomes mainstream it will be even better, right now with out DX12/Vulkan i can say without hesitation that on lower end gpus like the 960 and 380. there will be very little difference between the i3 and i5, and if you go to higher resolutions than the the i3 will be similar in performance with higher end gpus, so i say go for the i3 you'll be happy with it until you choose to upgrade 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Not much TBH everyone bugging about going and getting a I5 even though the benefit for what your looking to do isnt all that great yeah every one is saying just spend the extra 50-100 bucks and get some i5 but lets be honest you can say that all day long spend an extra 50 bucks and get a boot SSD spend an extra $50-100 bucks and get a better GPU spend a extra 50 bucks for a better psu for better upgrades later ect the list goes on and on but you have to remember a budget PC is that for a reason its being built on a budget... The best way to look at it is that if your looking at a 960 / 380 the difference between getting that with the i5 and the i3 the actual experience wont be that crazy of a difference yeah the i5 is better in all ways but its not like your throwing in a 980ti and bottle necking the crap out of it either. END RANT lol 

this... this is my dilemma.

started budgeting for an i3, closing in on it. then they say, save more so i can get an i5, extends my waiting time..... when the hell will i be able to play my games.???

I'm just going to say this, the I3 is great for its price, dont listen to these people that say get an i5 instead, an I3 is still a great cpu, and once DX12/Vulkan becomes mainstream it will be even better, right now with out DX12/Vulkan i can say without hesitation that on lower end gpus like the 960 and 380. there will be very little difference between the i3 and i5, and if you go to higher resolutions than the the i3 will be similar in performance with higher end gpus, so i say go for the i3 you'll be happy with it until you choose to upgrade 

hahaha. i am so confused right now.

this... this is my dilemma.

started budgeting for an i3, closing in on it. then they say, save more so i can get an i5, extends my waiting time..... when the hell will i be able to play my games.???

If your budget can only Fit an i3 its not the end of the world every game will run fine but if you can easily save up more money then the I5 is better choice but like i said its possible to say that about any part an extra 100 for the 970/390 would be great also but  just  pick your realistic budget number you can afford  and just build something balanced and good for what your going to use it for and thats about it maybe let us all know your budget and people will throw what they think is the best options for you 

you'll be good at 1080p High Medium for like probably 7-10 Year probably Low Setting at the year 8th

That sounds a bit long id say medium for like 4-5 years but this is just a huge guessing game that no one has the answer to 

hahaha. i am so confused right now.

if you cant afford an i5 than go ahead and get an i3

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION

Just get a friggin i5

NO i3 is NOT suitable for gaming

it will be outdated very soon.

And please don't counter me by saying "oh it can run csgo at 60fps yadadada" ANYTHING can run csgo tbh... (even a potato)

Honestly just spend a bit more, save a bit and get a better cpu so that your computer does not bottleneck.

CPU intensive game = Minecraft

FPS achieved = 300 max detail, 16 chunk render distance.

CPU intensive game = Minecraft

FPS achieved = 300 max detail, 16 chunk render distance.

So you are just agreeing with me? clearly saying i5 is better lol but I personally have an i7

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Just note some games wont even launch on a i3, go to the steam store and check minimum system requirements. 

Also note, that you can just tweak one little line in the game code to make it start on an i3

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Could you game on an i3?, sure, I'm still using a 1st gen i3, but please save some more money and just get an i5.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.