is i3 still good for gaming?

spoder-man

im building a budget gaming pc. is an i3 still good for today's games? to be played in normal, medium, or high settings in 60 fps.
which games will i won't be able to play with it?

ma spoder senz iz tingling...

Somewhat of a loaded question.

Depends on the game.

Some games use more CPU than others.

Point in fact: I could run pacman of a i3.

What games do you play.

Yes.

I can pull 160 FPS in CSGO with a 4130 and a R9 270X 4GB

Somewhat of a loaded question.

Depends on the game.

Some games use more CPU than others.

Point in fact: I could run pacman of a i3.

What games do you play.

gta 5? bf4, assassins creed series, batman series, dota 2,

Its a good startoff if you are making the cpu as your first build and planning to upgrade it from the future and also have a decent or better GPU and the same thing applies to the PSU...Actually just get 500w or 600w PSU with the i3 for upgrading purposes

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

gta 5? bf4, assassins creed series, batman series, dota 2,

AC except unity is fine, dota 2, batman series should also be fine for an i3

Not sure about bf4 or gta v

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

It still will rek a 8350 or 9590 in most game, if youare on the cheap get a 4160 or 4170, but if you can wait save up about $60~ and get a i5 4460

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Just note some games wont even launch on a i3, go to the steam store and check minimum system requirements. 

Its a good startoff if you are making the cpu as your first build and planning to upgrade it from the future and also have a decent or better GPU and the same thing applies to the PSU...Actually just get 500w or 600w PSU with the i3 for upgrading purposes

exactly what i have in mind. :)

Just note some games wont even launch on a i3, go to the steam store and check minimum system requirements. 

No,that happens with pentiums,but i can run any game with my i3 because of Hyperthreading

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION

Just get a friggin i5

NO i3 is NOT suitable for gaming

it will be outdated very soon.

And please don't counter me by saying "oh it can run csgo at 60fps yadadada" ANYTHING can run csgo tbh... (even a potato)

Honestly just spend a bit more, save a bit and get a better cpu so that your computer does not bottleneck.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

get 4460 atleast

what GPUs can i match with it? without bottlenecking. that will get me through these games at 60 fps ave.

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION

Just get a friggin i5

And please don't counter me by saying "oh it can run csgo at 60fps yadadada" ANYTHING can run csgo tbh... (even a potato)

Honestly just spend a bit more, save a bit and get a better cpu so that your computer does not bottleneck.

aw... uhhmmm, owwkay......

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION

Just get a friggin i5

It's suitable for gaming... there are just better options if you can afford them.

Most people buying an i3-4150 are not buying a GTX980 so bottlenecking is a pretty moot point.

And we hear the crap of "outdated very soon" or "6 core games coming soon" every year since 2012 and it's still not a thing. DirectX 12 graphics pipeline is reducing CPU overhead anyway.

"Is i3 still good for gaming?" When was an i3 ever "good" for gaming. It might be for low end but its already outdated tech at the time of release. If you plan to upgrade at all get an i5

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Nvidia 960 ( 1080p ) / AMD 380 ( 1440p )

say, with these GPUs, what increase in ave. fps will get if i upgraded to an i5?

say, with these GPUs, what increase in ave. fps will get if i upgraded to an i5?

CSGO Highest Set  260FPS+, Mad Max Highest Set 70FPS+, COD:AW Highest 70FPS+, BF4 Highest 80FPS+ Campaign, Multi 70FPS+ ( depends on map )

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

CSGO Highest Set  260FPS+, Mad Max Highest Set 70FPS+, COD:AW Highest 70FPS+, BF4 Highest 80FPS+ Campaign, Multi 70FPS+ ( depends on map )

sounds promising. :D