Should Intel make an unlocked Xeon?

Nishizumi

Yes, I know it sounds stupid. But think about it. It would be THE enthusiast chip. It would be what Linus wanted before the 5960X launched, a chip that's unlocked, no TDP limit, water-cooling recommended chip. Any thoughts? Feel free to say absolutely anything.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Xeons are cheaper because they can't be over clocked...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Xeon's are made for servers, no.

Well, I really meant something like a 18-core Extreme Edition of sorts. Something where you NEED watercooling and where TDP is out the window.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Well, I really meant something like a 18-core Extreme Edition of sorts. Something where you NEED watercooling and where TDP is out the window.

that probably exists, but isn't consumer grade.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

No, because those are only used for servers...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

1) an unlocked xeon is called an i7

2) tdp does not go out the window, intel specifically engineers xeons to exact specifications because servers need to be made for that exact heat capacity, which is WHY they are locked in the first place

3) core speed matters more than having 18 cores, an 18 core extreme edition would be a waste of money

no games can use that many cores, and very few programs can

4) if you have $8000 to drop on an 18 core CPU then buy a xeon for whatever you need to render, then buy an i7 for the rest of the stuff you do since the i7 will perform better in all that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ok, I should really change the name to a high core i7 Extreme Edition rather than an unlocked Xeon because that what I really meant to say.

Intel most likely want to keep most processors locked so that they can sell unlocked processors at a premium price.

I guess some people don't know the awesomeness that is the X5650. It does seem like it could be possible again since they are unlocking the bclk on Skylake motherboards.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Aren't Xeons designed for low power? That would defeat the purpose right?

There's always the i7 Extreme Edition if you want more cores and overclocking.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Yes, I know it sounds stupid. But think about it. It would be THE enthusiast chip. It would be what Linus wanted before the 5960X launched, a chip that's unlocked, no TDP limit, water-cooling recommended chip. Any thoughts? Feel free to say absolutely anything.

hell no. Xeon is meant to be a server or workstation chip, and making an unlocked chip for a mission critical platform would make no sense, as it would introduce instability.

if you want an unlocked xeon, you get an extreme edition, that's what they're for. the reason the unlocked chips have 8 or fewer cores and the 12+ chips have lower clock speeds, is that a high clocked 16 core chip would quickly exceed 250 watts, which would be very difficult to keep within acceptable temperature ranges on water, and not viable at all on most air coolers.

They did, it was called Westmere :P

(not technically unlocked, but with an SR-2 you could OC the hell out of these things)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Ok, I should really change the name to a high core i7 Extreme Edition rather than an unlocked Xeon because that what I really meant to say.

that makes more sense

but this is the first year, they already increased 6 to 8 cores

people just always want more and more and more

and you cant even afford the 5960x, so why should intel make an even more expensive CPU that even less people are going to buy?

wait a few years for software to catch up and actually be able to take advantage of all that power

then maybe a few more people will buy extreme edition CPUs

over time the price comes down, like the 4960x was $1k, and now the 5960x is also $1k but with 2 more cores

if intel releases a 10 or 16 or 18 core i7 CPU the price will have to go up to avoid unbalancing the market

but if you wait a few years, they will eventually release that kind of 10+ core CPU at the same price the 5960x is now

this is normal product evolution

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It would be pointless either way. Very rarely does a program scale with a ton of cores AND high clock speeds. They tend to pick one or the other. Most programs that do scale well with cores, are designed to scale even better using GPU acceleration, which also defeats the purpose of having a ton of those cores. Intel has their chip line-up perfectly designed. You have the H platform for the average consumer. The Z platform for the average gamer. The X platform for the enthusiast/workstation. Then you have the Xeons for the server/business market. Beyond 4 cores, games tend to not care (unless its AC:U), and 8 threads is more than enough for most gamers/streamers. The -E series is the bridge for people that want the best of both worlds. 

Having Xeons that powerful would kinda be pointless. Xeons are designed to be ran 24/7, have ECC support, and use as little power as they can, while being a good enough workhorse to get the job done. Making it use more power would only make server farms cost you more money, and require more space to properly dissipate the heat. Not to mention, most companies would be scared to introduce water into their absurdly expensive server configurations. It's just one more unnecessary risk to add to the equation. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

dood, xeon are madefor stability becuase the use for those CPUs stability is needed, that's why i7's exist, for overclocking, no1 has a server with consipumer motherboard, and consumer CPU

If anyone thinks 18 core is pointless for gaming, they have not yet played SPACE ENGINEERS!!!

going from a 4.7Ghz FX to the X5650 4.7gHZ 24 TO 60FPS,

%30 cpu usage for the FX, %30 cpu usage for the Xeon 12 Threads @ 4.7ghz

while loading a large map, 100% cpu uage with the Xeon, all 12 threads maxed!

i should mention all 12 threads ingame also are loaded fairly equally

Also note, we came from single cores, to average of 8 threads, even 16 threads being not over the top

It will continue to rise and high core count wil be the norm, and required by software!

as its the only way to increase performance beyond architecture and clockspeed

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider

They've probably considered it and ended up with the decision to keep the locked setting on them, else they'd have done it already

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Sorry man, it would make no sense. Xeons are designed to not use a ton of power for what they are capable of. When running a bunch of servers the power cost is way more important than the cost of the chip itself.

They have to keep them locked so people buy the new sockets every time they roll out. Overclockable Xeons are why many gamers and enthusiast are still on X58 LGA 1366 boards, nothing has been too spectacular to make an upgrade worthwhile other than the $1000 5960X, gotta be honest I would love to have one of those.

If you already had a 1366 board you could throw the money into a GPU and a $150 used Xeon that was $1800 new and have a very nice system and spend the rest of the money elsewhere. They have to keep people buying the new stuff not waiting on the current Xeons to get recommissioned out of servers and continueing the trend that started with Westmere.

Intel did it once a long time ago.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

that would be like lenovo doing a thinkpad for gaming. xeon stands for stability they shouldnt be overclockable.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Xeon E5´s should not be overclockable simply because they are not ment for that.

Stabillity and reliability 24/7 is where there server grade cpu´s are ment for.

They are work Horses not show Horses.