Turning AMD around

Dimetime35c

Okay you have just won the bid to buy AMD in its current state. You have full control over everything that happens money and product wise. Let's say you also have some money left over to invest in research. What would you personally change or do to turn AMD back into a power house that's able to go toe to toe with Nvidia and Intel? For me step one is get off the HBM track. Yes it will eventually be better then current memory but I don't have eventually in terms of keeping my company's head above the water. I'd throw all my research money into building a card to go toe to toe with Nvidia's 970-980 lines. Then I'd develope a card to beat the Titan X. Once I've stabilized my earnings then I'll sink major bucks into going after intel's i5 and i7 line. Once that's done only then would I start work on HBM for my GPU's. What's your strategy??

I would sell everything and jump ship.  :ph34r:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Following this cuz Im actually super curious as to what the more business savvy people here are gonna say.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

literally just copy intel like its not hard. if amd had done this earlier the fanboys would have been enough to sustain them. then people would then use amd as well then amd could DOMINATE the laptop market with a new mobile apu that would trump intels integrated graphics 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

They already have competing cards for 970 and 980. In fact, they perform marginally better and at a lower cost. Honestly, if I had control, I'd split up. I'd sell off the cpu part to Samsung and I'd put all of the money into the gpus.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

i would get rid of the cpus entirely and focus on gpus and then once i get them back on track for the gpus then i would go back to the cpus and work on making better cores for the cpus

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Okay you have just won the bid to buy AMD in its current state. You have full control over everything that happens money and product wise. Let's say you also have some money left over to invest in research. What would you personally change or do to turn AMD back into a power house that's able to go toe to toe with Nvidia and Intel? For me step one is get off the HBM track. Yes it will eventually be better then current memory but I don't have eventually in terms of keeping my company's head above the water. I'd throw all my research money into building a card to go toe to toe with Nvidia's 970-980 lines. Then I'd develope a card to beat the Titan X. Once I've stabilized my earnings then I'll sink major bucks into going after intel's i5 and i7 line. Once that's done only then would I start work on HBM for my GPU's. What's your strategy??

By the time you've done that Nvidia Pascal HBM2 will already be out and probably better :/

And the 300s beats the 970 and is better than the 980 in price to performance anyways

Considering AMD's position I would focus on GPUs and HBM2 since they have exclusives for it and beat Pascal. And once the GPU market becomes squared out you can focus on CPUs again because if there's no proper CPU competition Intel have no reason to invest money into way better CPUs only making minor improvements

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I'd experiment with tri-Xfire on the same card... For what reason? For a reason Linus said about intel, that they should make something that is so high end it required watercooling to work. Also, I'd work on creating CPU with superior single and multithreaded performance to go up against Intel (and then a platform that is actually upgradeable in the future).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

HBM is the future, even Nvidia knows that. AMD was also the first to implement GDDR5 back in the day - HD4770.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

TBH I'd do exactly what you said. They have a okay foot hold in GPUs right now, and I think they should look to creating high quality high end gpu's {ex. Titan's and stuff} for a while. Once they get enough revenue from that I'd just stabilize the company. Maybe.

Thanks!

Chris R.

They already have competing cards for 970 and 980. In fact, they perform marginally better and at a lower cost. Honestly, if I had control, I'd split up. I'd sell off the cpu part to Samsung and I'd put all of the money into the gpus.

Bad idea. Almost all of amds money for rnd on gpu comes from their apu sales. Taking away that would cripple the company

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I'd sell it off to Valve for as little as they want it for.

this is also a good choice, but i would sell it to Google because Google

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

HBM is the future, even Nvidia knows that. AMD was also the first to implement GDDR5 back in the day - HD4770.

It may be the future but let's be real and look at the current state. HBM isn't able to compete with traditional memory in terms of size. You can put all the fancy tech into 4gb of memory as you want. At the end of the day it's still 4gb and no amount of tricks can make it magically into 6gb or higher. AMD needs to get off HMB till its able to be offered in the sizes DDR5 currently is.

AMD's gpus are more than competitive, save a couple. What they're missing is good media coverage and publicity. The less tech savvy gamers are very likely to be directed towards an nvidia card at various stages, often for no other reason than fanboyism and higher public awareness.

As for the cpus, there's not much to do other than invest in r&d and catch up to intel's ipc and technology support. I think I'd make one major socket update to use lga technology, then make changes on the chipset rather than on the socket and make cpus as retrocompatible as possible as long as that didn't compromise performance increases. I'd also try to deliver high performance at the cheapest price I could while keeping the company afloat to make sure our cpus are an obvious choice over intel's at their price point, with no big drawbacks. If I could deliver 5820k performance at i5 price, that would make our product extremely compelling and would get amd in the houses of a lot of customers. At which point, if out cpus remain retrocompatible the obvious upgrade path for those people would be another amd cpu, even if the price to performance wasn't as strong anymore.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

this is also a good choice, but i would sell it to Google because Google

Well, google isn't really interested in that market as far as I know. They're hell-bent on getting their AI up and running. Not really set on making processors for the masses.

Valve on the other hand could fuel AMD's R&D department higher than Nvidia overnight if they just bought the company. I mean, Valve is basically just a machine that cranks out money. They could be like "hey, AMD, we know you're short on cash. We've got stationwagons of cash! Why don't we align our interests a little? You've got the maunfacturing and design capacity for a load of awesome chips and things, and we have SteamVR, Streaming, Steamboxes and Linux to take care of, along with the Vulkan API. Let's team up, it'll be amazing and everyone will make bank!"

As for the cpus, there's not much to do other than invest in r&d and catch up to intel's ipc and technology support. I think I'd make one major socket update to use lga technology,

^This, absolutely. Their server processors already use LGA, it's not like Intel has a monopoly on the technology. And we know that in terms of retention mechanisms it is a far more secure approach, rather than having a little arm held down by a plastic lip.

Well, google isn't really interested in that market as far as I know. They're hell-bent on getting their AI up and running. Not really set on making processors for the masses.

Valve on the other hand could fuel AMD's R&D department higher than Nvidia overnight if they just bought the company. I mean, Valve is basically just a machine that cranks out money. They could be like "hey, AMD, we know you're short on cash. We've got stationwagons of cash! Why don't we align our interests a little? You've got the maunfacturing and design capacity for a load of awesome chips and things, and we have SteamVR, Streaming, Steamboxes and Linux to take care of, along with the Vulkan API. Let's team up, it'll be amazing and everyone will make bank!"

i would still prefer having google over anyone else

Spoiler

It was ATI back then i had a radeon 5800 before when i buildt my pc 6 years ago it was really good for its time now i use nvidia.

I'd spend a lot more on marketing, especially in the CPU space. The 'bing-bong-bing-bing' intel inside is recognised by everyone. Who (in the general consumer space) even knows about AMD?

Their graphics cards are fine atm, all that they need is advertising.

I'll hold judgment on what I'd do on the CPU side as their new stuff coming out soon might be the dogs bollocks and destroy intel.

literally just copy intel like its not hard. if amd had done this earlier the fanboys would have been enough to sustain them. then people would then use amd as well then amd could DOMINATE the laptop market with a new mobile apu that would trump intels integrated graphics 

It's pretty hard when companies are more powerful than government. While capitalism promotes competition, Intel owns a lot of copyrights (Which isn't allowed in purely capitalist systems, because it's government involvement) the competition will resolve when one supercompany demolishes the rest (Intel/Nvidia.) You copy Intel, they get the government on their side and sue the fuck out of you. You want to make something new that will put Intel on their asses? Well too bad, you don't have to money to fund any research because Intel is literally keeping you alive purposely by giving you the lower-tier price bracket so that your company is barely alive, but enough so that Intel has no competitors to worry about and nobody will say "monopoly" even though it essentially is a monopoly. Intel could make a cheaper line of products far superior to what AMD is making and bankrupt them, but that would not be in their best interest. It's like ISPs owning "airwaves." Fuck that, it should be illegal to copyright and own things anyone should have access to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_auction

/rant

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

The person who buys AMD will probably have deep enough pockets to buy Nvidia.

So if my pockets were deep enough, that’s what I'd do

except AMD is worth only a fraction of nvidia

Spoiler