Any titles coming up between now and HBM 2 that'll cause my R9 290 to suffer at 2560x1080?

LaboonTheWhale

So yeah what the title says. 

I'm really wanting to buy a new GPU (just built a new system but still using my 2 y/o 290) but I'm trying to convince myself that I dont NEED it right now. Are there any games coming up that will make my 290 suffer to the point that it'll make me wish I had bought a card? 

Aiming for 60FPS as well and not making the game look like minecraft. 

I'm willing to bet there's a fair number of people on this forum who'd try to tell you your R9 290 is already suffering at 2560x1080.

No one can predict the future, though. If such games come along and you're not happy, buy an upgrade. Why do you have to do it in advance?

I'm willing to bet there's a fair number of people on this forum who'd try to tell you your R9 290 is already suffering at 2560x1080.

No one can predict the future, though. If such games come along and you're not happy, buy an upgrade. Why do you have to do it in advance?

My 290 does fine at that res! :)

I doubt it, and AMD cards look like they will get a fairly substantial boost from dx12.

Games are unlikely to get much more demanding for a few years yet, all the AAA titles have to run on consoles too tying significant requirement boosts to console generations. Unless you get a higher resolution monitor, or 144Hz one, your 290 will probably serve you until the next console generation.

I doubt it, and AMD cards look like they will get a fairly substantial boost from dx12.

Games are unlikely to get much more demanding for a few years yet, all the AAA titles have to run on consoles too tying significant requirement boosts to console generations. Unless you get a higher resolution monitor, or 144Hz one, your 290 will probably serve you until the next console generation.

Apparently they used some AMD mantle api stuff. You know the thing that actually never worked good :D

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Apparently they used some AMD mantle api stuff. You know the thing that actually never worked good :D

I can hear the AMD and NVIDIA battlehorns being blown over this one. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I can hear the AMD and NVIDIA battlehorns being blown over this one. 

Its directX 12 so it must work the same for both GPU cards. 

Otherwise it was directx mantle amd neverworks API

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Its directX 12 so it must work the same for both GPU cards. 

Otherwise it was directx mantle amd neverworks API

Is there not a raging discussion about Async compute? Which AMD fanboys are dragging in everywhere to use as a middle finger against Nvidia fanboys. 

Aha Neverworks xD

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Is there not a raging discussion about Async compute? Which AMD fanboys are dragging in everywhere to use as a middle finger against Nvidia fanboys. 

Aha Neverworks xD

Well there always be fight between RED and GREEN, but imo (in my opinion) green will always win because of better drivers :D. Amd drivers are always shit. My friend who has a amd card has always problems with it. 

Well there always be fight between RED and GREEN, but imo (in my opinion) green will always win because of better drivers :D. Amd drivers are always shit. My friend who has a amd card has always problems with it. 

Same, the drivers are better. Plus day one game optimizations..not three fecking weeks later. 

For me, I've had three of their cards de solder themselves, drivers have been first hand issue so not echoing anyone elses experience. 

Went green and never looked back, but remain objective because they both need each other to push each other. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Same, the drivers are better. Plus day one game optimizations..not three fecking weeks later. 

For me, I've had three of their cards de solder themselves, drivers have been first hand issue so not echoing anyone elses experience. 

Went green and never looked back, but remain objective because they both need each other to push each other. 

red is just here to make sure green makes better gpus xD

Thanks red 

Umm hate to kill the vibe, AMD>>>>>>>Nvidia on Windows 10, Nvidia's drivers are doge shite right now.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Umm hate to kill the vibe, AMD>>>>>>>Nvidia on Windows 10, Nvidia's drivers are doge shite right now.

Nvidia drivers are bad on win10? Haven't noticed.

Nope, my gpu out performs any amd shit even on win10.

Talking about drivers, please fanboy more.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Talking about drivers, please fanboy more.

Mlol?

Drivers aren't shit, amd barely even updates their cards.

Not worth even replying, you know someone is insecure and too fanboy'd up when they change their own post.

I have r9 290 and it's underclocked. And I run at 2560x1440 resolution usually(5760x1440 for surround). The Witcher 3 didn't run as well as I would have liked. I played it at 1920x1080. And considering that other games run fine, I'm OK with lowering settings in game to get better FPS and that there really isn't a significant GPU upgrade without paying a lot more money then I paid for 290, I'll probably be fine until the next AMD GPU-s or when Fury gets a lot cheaper.

Not worth even replying, you know someone is insecure and too fanboy'd up when they change their own post.

I wasn't going to troll but I had to when I saw that someone was stupid enough to answer.

To be serious, I like nvidia over AMD any day but I don't despise AMD, if someone likes AMD more power to them.