Moving my PC to Uni

o0Martin
Go to solution Solved by Bogica,

Sounds good to me. As you said, just remove the GPU and put it somewhere safe or original packaging as you said it yourself. No need for any additional packaging unless something will be hitting your PC case, in that case just put some carton around it etc. The usual, the same way you would move anything else. :)

Trust me. I moved my PC several times to dorm and back home while at Uni. :)

So basically, I'm moving my whole set up, which includes my PC down to University tomorrow morning (In about 8 hours) and wanted to know if there are any precautions I should take to avoid it being damaged in transport. And I know you guys will let me know if I'm overlooking something stupid and obvious.

It's going to be about a 2 hour journey (mostly motorway) and it will sit in the boot along with a lot of other shit and it will be placed on its side, the box wont be able to move at all side to side because it will be tightly packed along side my other stuff.

Literally all I'm planning to do when I wake up is remove the GPU, place that into its original packaging, and then place my whole built PC with everything else still inside it (Including the Kraken x61) into the PC cases original box and packaging. 

Now to me that sounds okay, and tbh I wasn't even worried about it, but seeing as it's the 1st time I've bothered to move my PC anywhere I thought to be on the safe side it would be easier just to ask to make sure. 

All the details of my build are in my signature or profile page if I missed anything important, or you can go ahead and ask me for more details. Thanks in advance for any help! 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Sounds good to me. As you said, just remove the GPU and put it somewhere safe or original packaging as you said it yourself. No need for any additional packaging unless something will be hitting your PC case, in that case just put some carton around it etc. The usual, the same way you would move anything else. :)

Well that makes me more confident that nothing will go wrong aha, thanks! 

I think I was mainly just concerned about the AIO watercooling tbh 

But yeah everything is pretty firmly bolted down and isn't going anywhere any time soon :P 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

But yeah everything is pretty firmly bolted down and isn't going anywhere any time soon :P

AIO watercooling should be fine. As long as you installed it correctly then it should be ok. If you still have the box for the case then put it inside, and of course seat-belt it.

So basically, I'm moving my whole set up, which includes my PC down to University tomorrow morning (In about 8 hours) and wanted to know if there are any precautions I should take to avoid it being damaged in transport. And I know you guys will let me know if I'm overlooking something stupid and obvious.

It's going to be about a 2 hour journey (mostly motorway) and it will sit in the boot along with a lot of other shit and it will be placed on its side, the box wont be able to move at all side to side because it will be tightly packed along side my other stuff.

Literally all I'm planning to do when I wake up is remove the GPU, place that into its original packaging, and then place my whole built PC with everything else still inside it (Including the Kraken x61) into the PC cases original box and packaging.

Now to me that sounds okay, and tbh I wasn't even worried about it, but seeing as it's the 1st time I've bothered to move my PC anywhere I thought to be on the safe side it would be easier just to ask to make sure.

All the details of my build are in my signature or profile page if I missed anything important, or you can go ahead and ask me for more details. Thanks in advance for any help!

you still the the case packaging, and box?

I didn't read the whole post no h8 plz

Can I come live in your old room while you're gone?
I love the UK :(

Sounds like you already have a pretty good handle of it. Just don't jostle the HDD around too much and drive sanely, you'll be fine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yep, exactly as @Bogica said, and also make 100% sure that your HDDs are secured.

LOL I honestly forgot that I even had a HDD in this system till I read your post, I still haven't used up enough memory to start moving stuff onto it yet aha, and I'm so used to just seeing my 2 SSD's through the window, that I forgot I mounted a HDD >.<

Thanks for reminding me! I may just take it out quickly when I wake up, because I'm 90% sure that it is barely even screwed on right now  :wacko:

you still the the case packaging, and box?

I didn't read the whole post no h8 plz

Lool well I did make the post longer than it probably needed to be :c 

But yeah I keep all packaging for everything I have, because I know I'm going to be doing a lot of moving about over the next few years and over the last year  :D

Can I come live in your old room while you're gone?

I love the UK :(

Sounds like you already have a pretty good handle of it. Just don't jostle the HDD around too much and drive sanely, you'll be fine.

We can switch when I'm done with Uni  ^_^ I love London but still I want to move away from the UK asap when I'm done with Uni  :lol:

I need somewhere with weather that doesn't change every 10mins  <_<

And yeah I'm 100% going to remove the HDD when I wake up, I'm sure the SSDs will be fine left in though so I'll leave those as they are, thanks!

When I moved i just sat in on my lap in the car. Wasn't easy, but it worked.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it should be fine, i usually put a blanket or pillow beside the monitor so it doesn't bang against stuff.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If everything is secure it's going to be fine even if you don't remove the GPu, as long as you don't get hit by something xD

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Well I'm going to sleep now, I just removed the HDD and GPU and I'll pack it in the original box tomorrow just before I leave.

Thanks for all the advice!  ^_^

We can switch when I'm done with Uni  ^_^ I love London but still I want to move away from the UK asap when I'm done with Uni  :lol:

I need somewhere with weather that doesn't change every 10mins  <_<

And yeah I'm 100% going to remove the HDD when I wake up, I'm sure the SSDs will be fine left in though so I'll leave those as they are, thanks!

Sounds good!

Really? I'd think it'd be an awesome place to live. Everything has so much history. Here everything is just new.

The weather changes pretty frequently here as well :P

The SSD's will be fine...hell in my last build they just hung from the cables inside the case I didn't even mount them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

How did the move go? :)
As I mentioned if everything is screwed in securely, no component beside the GPU can cause any damage. AIO is mounted properly I'm guessing, so it isn't going anywhere, same goes for HDDs, as long as they are mounted properly, no problems moving them- ever. :D

But as someone mentioned, I forgot about the monitor, wrap it in a blanket or something. Same goes for speakers. I used the original box for both speakers and monitor. :)

How did the move go? :)

As I mentioned if everything is screwed in securely, no component beside the GPU can cause any damage. AIO is mounted properly I'm guessing, so it isn't going anywhere, same goes for HDDs, as long as they are mounted properly, no problems moving them- ever. :D

But as someone mentioned, I forgot about the monitor, wrap it in a blanket or something. Same goes for speakers. I used the original box for both speakers and monitor. :)

Everything went perfectly, not even a scratch ^^

And dw I had the original boxes for my monitor and speakers

Everything went perfectly, not even a scratch ^^

And dw I had the original boxes for my monitor and speakers

Glad to hear it. Good luck at your Uni and hope you're enjoying your new place. Cheers mate! :)