budget cpu cooler for i5 4690

does anyone know of a good budget cooler for under or about £25.00 or $38.00 (as of This post 21/9/15) to cool an i5 4690? thanks  :)

Hyper 212? i believe they are going for about 25 bucks on ebay right now.

don't quote me on this tough! :P

EDIT: welp, it's 29 bucks anyway; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-EVO-CPU-Cooler-with-120-mm-PWM-Fan-/301380789197

EDIT2: also just noticed that particular one is out of stock, tough if you just search ebay for 'hyper 212' there are plenty of offers below 30 bucks!

i would say the 212 evo only because you don't have a k series chip

if you had the unlocked version, the 212 is not sufficient imo

BigDay

When the BeQuiet Pure Rock is on sale, it's cheaper than the 212 evo. It's currently £27 on Scan, the same price as the Evo.

EDIT: WAIT!

It's in budget at Aria PC

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Cooling/Air/be+quiet%21+Pure+Rock+BK009+CPU+Air+Cooler+?productId=62193&source=pcpartpicker

Hyper 212? i believe they are going for about 25 bucks on ebay right now.

don't quote me on this tough! :P

EDIT: welp, it's 29 bucks anyway; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-EVO-CPU-Cooler-with-120-mm-PWM-Fan-/301380789197

EDIT2: also just noticed that particular one is out of stock, tough if you just search ebay for 'hyper 212' there are plenty of offers below 30 bucks!

but its not compatible with 100r corsair sorry forgot to say  :wacko: silent edition

deecool has some cheap 140mm, cryorig h7

CPU: i7-2600 @ 3.4 ghz  l  Motherboard: ms-7728 l  RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz  l  GPU: GTX760  l  Case: Phanteks enthoo pro  l  Storage: 250GB crucial bx100 ssd, 500GB Seagate pipeline hdd  l  PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2  l  Displays: iiyama Prolite E2208HDD, HannStar JC199D  l  Cooling: AVC 92mm downdraft l  Keyboard: P.O.S. keyboard that came with pc in Jan. 2011 l Mouse: Maxxter gaming mouse   Sound: On-Board   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro  l

Unless we're talking about the K series, just use the included stock one. It's only drawback is that it's a bit louder. The extra cooling performance of even something as simple as a Hyper 212 will make zero difference because you can't make use of any thermal headroom since the i5-4690 is locked. The idea that a CPU running at 60°C is better than one running at 80°C is a complete myth. It's not until you get to 85+ that it becomes something to worry over, and even then not by much if at all.

im running the stock one on my 4690k without OC and its fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i would say the 212 evo only because you don't have a k series chip

if you had the unlocked version, the 212 is not sufficient imo

the 212 evo isnt sufficient for a k series cpu ? your kidding right ? just cause it has a k doesnt mean its automatically putting out more heat, unless you up the voltage it will be fine,  i have a small oc of 4.2 on my 4690k and temps stay below 70 while gaming in a h440 so im sure i could up the voltage a bit and go to 4.3-4.4 and still be fine at mid 70`s max

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

the 212 evo isnt sufficient for a k series cpu ? your kidding right ? just cause it has a k doesnt mean its automatically putting out more heat, unless you up the voltage it will be fine,  i have a small oc of 4.2 on my 4690k and temps stay below 70 while gaming in a h440 so im sure i could up the voltage a bit and go to 4.3-4.4 and still be fine at mid 70`s max

exactly. you have a baby overclock with barely any voltage increase. i have a 4.6 ghz overclock on both the core and cache ratio with a core voltage of 1.31 and a cache voltage of 1.33. the 212 couldn't hold that.

the 212 is not meant for a serious overclock

go home

BigDay

exactly. you have a baby overclock with barely any voltage increase. i have a 4.6 ghz overclock on both the core and cache ratio with a core voltage of 1.31 and a cache voltage of 1.33. the 212 couldn't hold that.

go home

did i ever say the 212 was meant for serious overclocks ? no i said its sufficient for a k series as long as you dont push the voltage too high where as you said that it wasnt sifficient at all for a k series when it is since im using it without problem

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

go home

You have no idea what you're talking about.  The 4690k is an 80W TDP chip (not including the iGPU). We aren't talking the 125W+ TDP chips of LGA 2011-3 or anything. The 212 Evo is perfectly sufficient for fairly high overclocks on these low power consumption chips since they just don't put out that much heat. I have my i7-4770k @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.295v and the highest it's hit on stress testing is 82°C. LGA1150 just don't have high TDP chips, meaning the 212 Evo is more than sufficient for a good overclock.