MSI R9 390, constant driver crashing

Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

@ArcaneNinja - Try running the card back in the primary slot again and see what happens. If the issue returns, I'm guessing it could be faulty PCIe lanes on your motherboard. It may work fine with your old card because your old card may not use all the lanes as the 390 does. 

I'm running crossfire 290's on water so I've had quite a bit of experience with these hot beasts. They have their quirks and there are some tips/tricks to getting the most out of them, but when you can get their full potential, boy do they ever perform. ;) The biggest issue with them (I've found) is keeping them cool - hence the Kraken G10 and HG10 + 2x H55 AIOs. :P 

I see you're running Sandy Bridge, which is still a strong platform, even today. But if it does turnout to be an issue with your motherboard, at least that gives you an excuse to upgrade to skylake. ;)

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to an MSI R9 390 GPU (from an XFX 6950) and I'm experiencing constant driver crashes with it. Whenever I try to play a game or do something graphics-intensive, the drivers usually crash within seconds. Even when out of game, I sometimes experience the occasional crash. I can't pin down if it's the card, the drivers, or something else with the computer. 

I recently got it replaced, but sadly the replacement is still having the same problem. I've tried the following since I got the replacement:

• Fresh install Windows 10 and the drivers - still crashing.
  • Update to the Beta drivers - still crashing.
  • Tried to install older versions of the drivers (back from Win7/Win8) on Win10.. wouldn't install! Worth a shot anyway.
  • Fresh install Windows 7 and tried out different versions there - still crashing.

Here are my specs:

• ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 2500K - Sandy Bridge
  • HyperX Beast 8GB RAM (1600 MHz, DDR3)
  • Corsair CX850M PSU
  • Crucial 256GB SSD
  • WD Blue 500GB, WD Red 1TB

This all started to happen after I updated my graphics driver to the latest version. I initially replaced the PSU (initially a 600W) - however that didn't solve the issue. 

Is there anything else that I could try to fix the crashing? I've very much hit a brick wall with this. :(

The old card works absolutely fine in the computer - so could it be a driver/card problem? 

Do you have AfterBurner or anything like that installed?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Do you have AfterBurner or anything like that installed?

I haven't got it installed at the moment... good/bad?

Thats AMD drivers for ya ;)

Yeah.. looking at the AMD support forums, a ton of other people have the same problem. Crazy!

290x owner here, no problems at all

Edit: OP when you say crashing, what actually happens? Screenshot?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Probably the tooltip with ”AMD display driver has stopped working”.

@OP What driver do you use?

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Thats AMD drivers for ya ;)

Atleast they are more stable than nvidia win10 drivers.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

290x owner here, no problems at all

Edit: OP when you say crashing, what actually happens? Screenshot?

Probably the tooltip with ”AMD display driver has stopped working”.

@OP What driver do you use?

^ yep! I'm getting this exact error.

I think (can't check - not at home right now!) I'm currently using these drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-300-Series.aspx (15.15.1004)

I believe this is an older version, but the latest version (15.20) still had the same problems. I'm still running Windows 7 at the moment. 

Ohh, I sincerely apologise good sir.

Umh, it was a joke :P

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

not sure if sarcasm...

I feel retarded now..

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

^ yep! I'm getting this exact error.

I think (can't check - not at home right now!) I'm currently using these drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-300-Series.aspx (15.15.1004)

I believe this is an older version, but the latest version (15.20) still had the same problems. I'm still running Windows 7 at the moment. 

I searched on google and I've seen it's mainly related to MSI cards. 

It might be due to the OC settings applied on their cards.

Can you lower the clocks or bump the voltage a notch and see if it crashes then.

EDIT:

Have you tried the beta 15.8 driver? You can give it a shot.

Otherwise, in the supp thread you posted, they say it's a catalyst software issue. 

So...uninstall the driver using DDU, and then everything that is software related to catalyst.

Then, download a driver package (15.15.1004 or 15.20), unpack it, and install it manually(from device manager). See if that works.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I searched on google and I've seen it's mainly related to MSI cards. 

It might be due to the OC settings applied on their cards.

Can you lower the clocks or bump the voltage a notch and see if it crashes then.

I have tried decreasing the clock - didn't change anything, but haven't bumped up the voltage yet! Will try that when I get home.

EDIT: just saw your edit, will try that too! sounds like a good idea. can't remember if i used the 15.8 driver or not w/ windows 7.

I have a msi r9 390, i have zero problems with the card... is it overclocked??

No, I don't think so. Very weird.. I hope nothing else in the computer is playing up. (note that my old GPU works perfectly fine!)  :(

you might want to try a different PSU. CX are known to be . . . subpar to say the least

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Mandatory videos

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

HAHAHA AMD WHAT A JOKE THEY RUN SO HOT, CONSUME TOO MUCH POWER AND HAVE SHIT DRIVER OPTIMIZATION!

http://i.imgur.com/Ga1B8PM.png

No but seriously, I would not be surprised if it functioned normally under Windows 7 or 8.1. Make sure to use DDU "correctly" well my method.

1. Download 15.7 driver or latest driver

2. Safe mode

3. DDU

4. Reboot

5. Install 15.7 driver or latest driver

6. Reboot

7. Test

http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1265-amd-catalyst-157-driver/

you might want to try a different PSU. CX are known to be . . . subpar to say the least

Damn.. I recently upgraded to the 850W PSU which cost quite a bit of money. Reviews seemed pretty good (via Amazon). I don't know if I can return it now. I hope it isn't the cause of the driver crashing.

You could try to completely clean the driver using ddu (display driver uninstaller) : http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

Then install the newest driver from amd. That should fix most problems i have a MSI r9 390x myself

HAHAHA AMD WHAT A JOKE THEY RUN SO HOT, CONSUME TOO MUCH POWER AND HAVE SHIT DRIVER OPTIMIZATION!

http://i.imgur.com/Ga1B8PM.png

No but seriously, I would not be surprised if it functioned normally under Windows 7 or 8.1. Make sure to use DDU "correctly" well my method.

1. Download 15.7  drivers or latest driver

2. Safe mode

3. DDU

4. Reboot

5. Install 15.7 drivers or latest driver

6. Reboot

7. Test

http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/1265-amd-catalyst-157-driver/

I'll try this again today, when I get home!

Even under a fresh install of Windows 7, I still had driver crashes. I was convinced it was working for a second until I started the system rating check - insta-crash there! Games still crashing also. Really odd :(

Damn.. I recently upgraded to the 850W PSU which cost quite a bit of money. Reviews seemed pretty good (via Amazon). I don't know if I can return it now. I hope it isn't the cause of the driver crashing.

I'll try this again today, when I get home!

Even under a fresh install of Windows 7, I still had driver crashes. I was convinced it was working for a second until I started the system rating check - insta-crash there! Games still crashing also. Really odd :(

Try a different PSU if possible.