Facebook developing way to fingerprint the camera you used to take a photo

jos

US08818022-20140826-D00000-590x363.png

The social network has filed a patent detailing work it’s doing on image fingerprinting that could identify you based not on any physical characteristics, but by the characteristics of your camera. Facebook thinks it could use this system to identify which photos are yours, even if they are uploaded to another account. It’s only a patent, but it’s a pretty crazy one. 

Now criminals has to use burner cameras else police will ask Facebook.. Whose camera is this? and you are caught..What if govt mandates the companies to register camera to user during sale. Anyway this will stop the --- snapping in beaches..

Source: http://www.geek.com/news/facebook-developing-way-to-fingerprint-the-camera-you-used-to-take-a-photo-1634542/

wow thats pretty insane, can imagine that they become a must in 5 years

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Anyway this will stop the sickos snapping in beaches..

That actually happens? O.o

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I would have imagined they already did something like this (which I guess it's possible they do since they don't need a patent on it to do it).

Also 'Associating cameras with users and objects in a social networking system' seems like a really generic software patent that shouldn't be granted.

More and more of a good reason not to be in the site.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Or, you know, stop using Facebook. I have no idea why people are still using it.

the site (visually, for the most part) has been the same for some time now.

I think the clean look was part of the draw for people during the myspace wreckage.

although, some are just narcissistic lol.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Not a fan of this. Not just for privacy reasons but also potential liabilities. You drop your phone in a theater and someone uses it to record the movie. All of a sudden they got evidence that you were in the theater and the camrip someone uploads is now associated with your camera. Good luck explaining that to vicious copyright lawyers.

Very unlikely that would happen but there are probably more situations where this could be used against innocent people. And again, privacy.

Lol, they could try. With some of the cameras that I use....if it can track low resolution photos from cameras that are from the days of the storage card wars, I'll smash a Xeon.

Edit: Also, do xD cards exist above 1GB?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, they could try. With some of the cameras that I use....if it can track low resolution photos from cameras that are from the days of the storage card wars, I'll smash a Xeon.

It does not matter.. there will be slight variation in the output of each pixel so your output of the camera will be unique to you

It does not matter.. there will be slight variation in the output of each pixel so your output of the camera will be unique to you

Simple-troll FB with an alt or 2.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What is EXIF

<image>

Something that is not tied to your particular camera and can be deleted if you so desire.

This is something very different.

Facebook has a billion users in a single day

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34082393

"Facebook has a billion users in a single day, says Mark Zuckerberg" And no proof to back up his statement. I highly doubt that this billion "people" are all real people, no bots, no alt-accounts, etc. I don't trust this guy at all. Be it what he says or what he does, I call BS and shenanigans.

the site (visually, for the most part) has been the same for some time now.

I think the clean look was part of the draw for people during the myspace wreckage.

although, some are just narcissistic lol.

That's not what I meant. What makes it so mindbaffling to me is that FB getting more and more intrusive, demanding more and more information, people still use it. Simple data-mining for the sake of letting other people know what meaningless shit they just did "Brangelina just took a shit. 'OMG I swear I just took the biggest shit in my life! *pic of shit* - 1268735 people like this".

Plus the negative effect on people and their social-skills (like basic talking to each other without disrespectfully picking up their phones and posting shit).

That's not what I meant. What makes it so mindbaffling to me is that FB getting more and more intrusive, demanding more and more information, people still use it. Simple data-mining for the sake of letting other people know what meaningless shit they just did "Brangelina just took a shit. 'OMG I swear I just took the biggest shit in my life! *pic of shit* - 1268735 people like this".

Plus the negative effect on people and their social-skills (like basic talking to each other without disrespectfully picking up their phones and posting shit).

I agree man, but most of the world is ok with giving up liberties and freedom for security. even if that security is a lie. which most are.

also you should note that there are a lot of individuals in the world that cannot see past their own bullshit in life. so they simply do not and will not care. deliberately.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

I agree man, but most of the world is ok with giving up liberties and freedom for security. even if that security is a lie. which most are.

also you should note that there are a lot of individuals in the world that cannot see past their own bullshit in life. so they simply do not and will not care. deliberately.

That's exactly the problem: convenience, promising security (almost mafia style) and making people think they are important.

Facebook is not the only company that does this but their "service" is a special kind of useless - even more so considering how much information they want in exchange for using it (and threatening to delete users who don't use their real names).

And MS are on the best way of sinking to the same level with their spying Windows updates.

To quote Logan from his Windows 10: Secure your privacy & stop the spying video: "Nothing's free and if it is free you're probably the product."

Am I understanding this right? They will be able tell who you are based on your camera even if you have an alt account or something?  This does not seem like a good idea at all! What if someone hacks into the website, finds that data out or what is associated to it?

Facebook really needs to just die.They are a cancer. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |