High GPU Temperature (r9 290x)

Larsie115

I have an MSI R9 290X Twin Frozr IV, when gaming the temperature rises to 90 - 95C, idle temperature is 40C.

Is this normal?

I have bad cable management, so I guess I also have bad airflow.

I have a dual monitor setup.

Does good airflow have a big impact on the temperature?

i7 4770K / 16GB RAM 1333mhz / MSI Radeon R9 290X Twin Frozr / Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP / 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD / Antec NEO ECO 620C / ZALMAN Z11 PLUS HF1 CASE

Does good airflow have a big impact on the temperature?

Yes it does. 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

those temps are way too high. My brothers 7950 with pathetic xfx cooler maxes out at like 80. I have a 92mm fan drawing air in through the empty pci slots on the back though.

@Larsie115

since you have a hawaii based gpu, these operating temperatures are normal. you can safely operate the card up to 95 degrees celcius without having to worry about reducing the working life of your chip

edit:

i would say those temperatures are normal, yes

edit:

increase your gpu fan speed if necessary to custom profile using msi ab. if you want to learn how to overclock your gpu, read my guide; link in my forum signature

source:

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-review/

BigDay

Airflow has a huge impact on Temps and 90+ is way to high. Your Card will die sooner or later. Redo your cablemanagement, get a new Case if necessary.

Edit: Quote:

“95ºC is a perfectly safe temperature at which the GPU can operate for its entire life. There is no technical reason to reduce the target temperature below 95ºC.” That does make for a very hot environment for the rest of your PC components however.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-review/

Did knew that. But dont like it, way too hot. Reason to avoid this Card.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

those temps are way too high. My brothers 7950 with pathetic xfx cooler maxes out at like 80. I have a 92mm fan drawing air in through the empty pci slots on the back though.

that's a different chip. he has a hawaii based gpu which operates at higher temperatures due to it's design. you can't compare the two unfortunately

BigDay

Airflow has a huge impact on Temps and 90+ is way to high. Your Card will die sooner or later. Redo your cablemanagement, get a new Case if necessary.

not true. read my post above and check out the source. it's a hawaii based gpu. they run hot

BigDay

"Because of the size and power of this new GPU though we are talking about one very hot and very power-hungry chip. AMD have been very keen to point out that the 95ºC operating temperature of the Hawaii GPU is perfectly normal, and presents no tangible risk to the working life of the chip."

source:

BigDay

Yes it does. 

Not always, depends on how much air is getting into the system. I have shit cable management and temps are only a few degrees more than if I had good management.

@OP - Have you cleaned out the PC lately?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

that's a different chip. he has a hawaii based gpu which operates at higher temperatures due to it's design. you can't compare the two unfortunately

yah, 200w TDP vs 290w TDP, but I there is only one GPU cooler I have seen that is more pathetic than the one on this card.

probably something about that air flow too, try clearing the cables that blocks the fans. that card tends to run hot but 90 to 95 is not so normal. but it does depends on the games you play if is just dota 2 those kind of games low demanding one i would say change the thermal paste of the gpu and also improve air flow, have another 1 or 2 fan blowing towards them will helps too.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

not true. read my post above and check out the source. it's a hawaii based gpu. they run hot

I added to my post. But Airflow has a huge impact.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

"Because of the size and power of this new GPU though we are talking about one very hot and very power-hungry chip. AMD have been very keen to point out that the 95ºC operating temperature of the Hawaii GPU is perfectly normal, and presents no tangible risk to the working life of the chip."

source:

Just because it can, it doesnt mean it should IMHO. I would prefer not having a chip running near the boiling point of water. Thats why my 390x only hits 40 under load.

Just because it can, it doesnt mean it should IMHO. I would prefer not having a chip running near the boiling point of water. Thats why my 390x only hits 40 under load.

i understand your position, but the 390x is a different chip. new and improved

BigDay

i understand your position, but the 390x is a different chip. new and improved

I know. I have plenty of experience with electronics and repairing them and I personally prefer that everything stays cool enough to touch. I know that this is quite a margin between my preferred temps and the manufacturers maximum operating temps, but I just like having those temp readings low :D

Hi!

I'd overclock only the fans on your GPU with MSI after burner. And then watch if temps drop down. Otherwise try doing what I made for my GTX 980Ti, when it was idleing at 60˙C. - Solution is in my signature. Hope this helps

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

I know. I have plenty of experience with electronics and repairing them and I personally prefer that everything stays cool enough to touch. I know that this is quite a margin between my preferred temps and the manufacturers maximum operating temps, but I just like having those temp readings low :D

yes, it's unfortunate that they designed this card in such a way that allows the temperatures to reach those levels. i feel bad for those who have the 200 series cards. the 300 series really are much better in terms of heat ouput

BigDay

yes, it's unfortunate that they designed this card in such a way that allows the temperatures to reach those levels. i feel bad for those who have the 200 series cards. the 300 series really are much better in terms of heat ouput

Yah pretty much. You gotta wait a while to service the damn thing without burning yourself... My brother's old HD 6870 by HIS? Stock cooler with arctic silver would hit 100 degrees within a couple seconds of gaming and this was with the fan set to go at 100%. stupid HIS

While those are standard operating Temps for a reference design. They are not the norm for a custom cooler. Check cable management to make sure you have good air flow. And then if that doesn't fix it clean the cooler of any dust, and reapply thermal paste to the core.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Dual monitors will make the clocks not declock as far, so in idle its hotter running multiple monitors.

ie: 150mhz VS 1250mhz

One of my 290x's (Windforce triple fanned) goes (instantly into the 70's) all the way to 92*c also, no matter what thermal paste or cooler used (swapped an Artic cooling cooler on there and still too hot)  Another 290 I have, (Also Windforce Tripled) a few less processing cores, but same cooler, same clocks and SAME voltage, max's out at 72*c.

^All in an OPEN TEST BENCH, way worse in my case.

Some are just hot as fuck, and you can't do much about it.

/I did put that 290x (92*c) on water (KrakenG10) and it topped out at 65-70'ish (vrms were lower) degrees under load after an hour of BF4 with that setup.

/But I knew the Windforce boards were reference boards, so I had the option.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

take the GPU out of the case and clean all the dust out of the heatsink and fans.

Open side panel and put the gpu on load. If it runs cooler than before then its an airflow problem. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case