What brands do you consider premium? Multi choice.

KarateHottie93

Just curious as to what brands you'd consider premium. From your own first hand experiences, that is.

It's multiple choice because it's not about which is best...just what brands you've tried that met or exceeded your expectations.

I've added every current brand I could think of in NA and EU. If I am missing one just let me know.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Really hard to do if you can only do from personal experience..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'd probably vote Gigabyte as well.....if I hadn't done 5 RMA and gotten my original and still faulty card back.

Which is where "you consider" comes in.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well not really fair to comment on the build quality of something you haven't touched...okay though lol, you can go off of a close friend or family members word just to make it more fun.

Oh, and I also don't consider Gigabyte premium as they always use cheap motors in their fans-which leads to the noise issues.

PMSL

Asus - They usually have a pretty big price leap on a lot of their items compared to the "norm" I guess you could say.

Not always a bad things tho, a lot of their stuff is well worth the price if you ask me. Ive got 2 Asus components running in my system and I cant complain, they work to perfection.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This doesn't really make sense because even the "premium brands" make mainstream products with little price premium.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Oh, and I also don't consider Gigabyte premium as they always use cheap motors in their fans-which leads to the noise issues.

and their support man..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

This doesn't really make sense because even the "premium brands" make mainstream products with little price premium.

premium = quality not price tag.

Is it really that hard to make sense of? Have you never held a card before and thought it felt solid, and then it ran solid?

Now compare that feeling to one you've held and ran that was junk :)

and their support man..

Yeah.....that was another area that I had problems with them.

PMSL

Is it really that hard to make sense of? Have you never held a card before and thought it felt solid, and then it ran solid?

And that's the funny thing with my Gigabyte cards-take away the 970's backplate and it feels cheaper than my 650ti OC 2GB Windforce Rev 2.0, and its fan noise is worse as well.

PMSL

Actually none: I've learned that even commonly regarded as "premium" brands release crap product and not as commonly but commonly known as "off brand" and crap brands release really high quality products too.

I rather shop by reading reviews and comments and not by brand recognition.

-------

Current Rig

-------

premium - quality not price tag.

And since they make a wide variety of  products the quality also varies a lot...

LIKE ASUS's awful issues with QC on batches of motherboards/graphics cards (where entire runs sold to specific stores are faulty) and their truely abhorrent support the likes of which I have never seen (in trying to renig on warranties.) Or gigabytes fan issues, or EVGA's sheer idiocy with certain things (x99 classy I'm looking at you along with the terrible ACX 2.0 for the 980 ti).

No brand is even near perfect here, and while I have no issues calling some brands products shit (XFX...) I don't like the idea of calling a brand premium when none of them in today's market actually are.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

• Galax
  • Asus
  • MSI
  • Gigabyte
  • Evga

All other cards tend to be a lower price.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

premium = quality not price tag.

I've shed a tear when EVGA users that had the 980 Kingpin, they said it was so bad at OC.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

EVGA

Asus

MSI

Sapphire

XFX

Zotac

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

See above.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

And that's the funny thing with my Gigabyte cards-take away the 970's backplate and it feels cheaper than my 650ti OC 2GB Windforce Rev 2.0, and its fan noise is worse as well.

Honestly I've experienced the same with GA lol. They have ran good with me but felt so cheap. I feel like XFX is headed there but my friends solid 380 has given me hope that they aren't.

I get the opposite with MSI. I've owned several of their cards over the years and they all feel like a fucking tank. I can't get one to not die on me though. I know it's bad luck as people love them...damn bad luck though lol.

I voted for multiple brands, and i will explain why below:

Zotac (GTX 750 Ti): I bought a card for my little brother, and was hesitant because i'd never owned a Zotac card before. Card was only $100, and it was for his birthday, so i figured i'd give it a shot. For some odd reason, it would not let me register the warranty on the card on their website using the warranty registration page. I contacted support, gave them a copy of my invoice, and they added an additional year on top of the standard 2 year warranty (Making it an Extended Warranty). Top notch customer service.

XFX (9800GT): One of the first graphics cards i bought with my own money was spent on an XFX brand card. They were the cheapest at the time, it came with a free copy of CoD:MW, and looked pretty sweet. I completely forgot to register my warranty on this card, and eventually the fan ended up dying on it. They still accepted it, and sent back a brand new card (not a refurb, a brand new in box card with the stickers still on it). The card they sent me is still alive and kicking to this day.

MSI (GTX 770): Bought a refurbished GTX 770 off Newegg's Ebay page for $220 2 years ago, and it said it came with a 6 month warranty. For some reason, it would not register on MSI's website, and once again, i contacted customer service to get it registered. Told them it was a refurbished model, and showed them my invoice. MSI extended it to a full 1 year warranty (6 additional months). The card has been put through hell and back these past 2 years, and still works perfectly fine.

PNY (GTX 550 Ti): My father built his PC about 4 years ago, and went with one of the best price:performance cards available on newegg at the time. While nothing special can be said about their CS, the card itself has ran beautifully over the past 4 years, and has not even needed its thermal paste changed. It just runs perfectly without issue. 

I've also owned some reference ATI/AMD cards, and reference Nvidia cards, but they are not on the list above, so i won't mention my experience with them. Overall, i've never really had a bad experience with any brand, regardless of the hardware. I think most of peoples experience with bad hardware is either bad luck, or a case of "you get what you pay for". 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Honestly I've experienced the same with GA lol. They have ran good with me but felt so cheap. I feel like XFX is headed there but my friends solid 380 has given me hope that they aren't.

I get the opposite with MSI. I've owned several of their cards over the years and they all feel like a fucking tank. I can't get one to not die on me though. I know it's bad luck as people love them...damn bad luck though lol.

And yet I had a cpu (a 5820k) that literally refused to run on 6 consecutive MSI motherboards (I wanted the color schemes they had... sadface) that have absolutely amazing reviews and yet ran perfectly on a x99 sabertooth (not just me being an idiot here. I actually had these things tested and have built a great many computers before [cause lifetime tech-support for family... sigh].)

But I also heart msi products...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

"All"

Nothing wrong with that :)

And since they make a wide variety of  products the quality also varies a lot...

LIKE ASUS's awful issues with QC on batches of motherboards/graphics cards (where entire runs sold to specific stores are faulty) and their truely abhorrent support the likes of which I have never seen (in trying to renig on warranties.) Or gigabytes fan issues, or EVGA's sheer idiocy with certain things (x99 classy I'm looking at you along with the terrible ACX 2.0 for the 980 ti).

No brand is even near perfect here, and while I have no issues calling some brands products shit (XFX...) I don't like the idea of calling a brand premium when none of them in today's market actually are.

I put galax and sapphire only for those reasons :)

the only company I will say is shit is GB...

And yet I had a cpu (a 5820k) that literally refused to run on 6 consecutive MSI motherboards (I wanted the color schemes they had... sadface) that have absolutely amazing reviews and yet ran perfectly on a x99 sabertooth (not just me being an idiot here. I actually had these things tested and have built a great many computers before [cause lifetime tech-support for family... sigh].)

But I also heart msi products...

Finally somebody who knows my pain lol.

It sucks but I have faith that one day MSI will love us like they do everyone else alive :P